BA 1v1 double elimination tourney(28/10): Sunday Showdown #1

Subforum for the organization and gathering of competitive players to talk about the opportunities for competitive play. Post all tournaments notifications here.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

As the last Thursday Night Rumble tournament got cancelled due to lack of participation, I'm going to try to arrange a Sunday tournament. Hopefully larger and more glorious in size! :-)

The tournament type is double elimination. This means that each player will face at least two opponents and losing once doesn't immediately exclude one from fighting in the finals.

This also means that the tournament will take slightly longer than a single elimination tournament. However, this time increase should be minimal and I'd estimate the tournament to take around 3 hours to run its course.

Again, please sign up in advance through Challonge and discuss additional maps, rules and tournament timing in Balanced Annihilation forums.

--------------------------------------

Time:
Sunday, 28th of October at 17.00 GMT/12.00 EST

SPADS hosts, if we run short of them, I'll add temporary 1v1 hosts. Use !preset duel

Scoring:
Best of 3 wins and moves to next tier.

Players:
Minimum of 8!

Rules:

Excluding purposeful abuse of clear engine glitches, no additional rules are present.

Maps:
Loser of a round chooses the next map, otherwise, all tiers have a pre-defined starting map.

Tier 1:
DeadLands

Tier 2:
Titan Duel

Tier 3:
Altair Crossing V2

(2nd Bracket Tier 1:)
Frozen Planet Remake v3

(2nd Bracket Tier 2:)
Red Comet

Semi-Final:
Adamantine_Mountian-V1

Final:
Battle for PlanetXVII-v01

Bronze Match:
Lowland_Crossing_TNM01-V4

Map pool from where the losing player can select:
Avalanche-v2
Alien Desert
DesertTriad
Trojan Hills V2
Kivekset_Halkova_Bassotaajuus
Eye Of Horus
Geyser_PlainsTNM04_V3
Darkside Remake
Comet Catcher Redux
MoonQ10x
Field of Isis
IsisDelta_V02
Altair Crossing (v2 if there was such )
Archer’s Valley v5
Barren
SnowAlert
DesertCliffsV1
Red Comet
Icy_RunV1
Geyser Plains
Frozen Planet Remake v3
The Cold Place Remake v2
Sierra V2
Sands of War
XanTheTerra_v4

In addition, the losing player can select any map the SPADS 1v1 autohosts have that both players agree to.

Sign up at Challonge if you know you can make it, since the tournament is a no-go if the minimum of 8 players don't sign up in advance.

Please discuss maps, the exact time of start and the tournament type in here or more preferably, at Balanced Annihilation forums!
Last edited by tzaeru on 28 Oct 2012, 20:44, edited 7 times in total.
tzaeru

Re: BA 1v1 double elimination tourney(28/10): Sunday Showdow

Post by tzaeru »

It's this coming Sunday. Hopefully the timing makes it possible for Europeans, Russians and Americans all to come. :-)

Sign up, spam your friend about it, and remember that as it is double elimination, even if you end up against the best player in first tier, you still got a chance to make it to finals! Losing once doesn't immediately drop you from the tournament so a lot more players got a shot to title places now.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Anyone got suggestions for how to actually get people notice these?

I've posted the announcement here, on BA subforums, on BA website's forums, every day a few times to #main, it's in topic of #tourney and in welcome messages of PrincessHosts, it's in god damn FACEBOOK (Spring's page) and in balancedannihilation.org's main page. Despite all this, I keep meeting 1v1 players who hadn't heard of it until I mention it. This is.. Impossible.. :P
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Most people on the Internet have developed means of filtering out any information they aren't expressly looking for.

Oh Man, best idea ever... next time there is a release of BA someone put a hook in it that will place billboards on every map with important announcements (maybe some kind of Lua Socket Widget thing?)... also be cool if it allowed remote asset insertion like scarecrows and snow mens.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

I think we should gather money to just hire people who'd go to BA players' houses, force their way in, tie the dude or gal to a chair and tell them all the news.

In most other games I play and have played, there's a lot higher sense of community and less information missed; In one, 100% of people were registered to forums and visited them at least weekly despite it not being explicitly necessary in order to play. This is something that BA could greatly improve in. Would probably help with player counts too.

Anyway, that's already been discussed a lot and it's place isn't here anyway, so that's it about that.

Now go spam your friends about the tournament. That works. :o
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Promoting the use of #tourney or another channel would be the simplest way I think.

I'll see if I can get myself in, just have to work out the logistics to get myself both an internet connection and an adequate computer on sunday.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Good news, everyone!

A couple of new maps into the pool: Alien Desert, Avalanche-v2, DesertTriad, Into Battle V3, Sands of War and Sierra V2.

Additionally and more importantly, signing into the tournament no longer requires a specific account made for Challonge. However, I do wish that everyone did these accounts anyway, so Elo rankings can be paired and seeding made more fun!
MrCucumber

Post by MrCucumber »

This starting now?
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Yeah, apparently I over-slept a bit, publishing brackets in just a moment now!

So use these few minutes as your last chance to sign. :-)

Please join #tourney (/j #tourney) once you're online, too. Makes arranging things a whole world easier.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Heyas!

The final has been postponed for tomorrow as things got very late for GG due to the tournament being delayed by 1.5 hours. It's going to be GG aka Pizdo vs. Teddy aka TeBe.

Time is 18.00 GMT/13.00 EST, that is, 18.00 for Brits, 19.00 for French/Germans/Italians, 20.00 for Finns and 22.00 for Russians.

Currently the brackets look like this: http://challonge.com/sundayshowdown1

Some very, very nice games in the tournament and particularly the last tiers and semi-finals were intense. :-)
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Oh my. I missed the final. -_- Slept 16 hours instead of my planned 8. Sorry, guys.

Anyhow, we've apparently final scores in! 8)

Check the brackets at Challonge's page and...

Gold:

[teh]Teddy/TeBe

Silver:

GfkngG/Pizdo

Bronze:

Zorro

Now, how did you guys feel about double elimination compared to single elimination? I think this format works very well if we can start it in time. Right now, the first match of the tournament started 1.5 hours late and there was some confusion with maps and where people should play. In total, excluding the final the tournament ran 5 hours or 3.5 hours from beginning of first match.

If we can squeeze those problems out of the tournament, I am very sure we can do all matches including the final in 4 hours for up to 16 players (as that just means more players can play at once and wouldn't yet add a new tier)

Next time I'll do full map list for the loser's bracket if we go with double elimination and will set up more hosts beforehand. :wink:

Return to “Tournaments”