1v1 BA Tourney - 19th December

Subforum for the organization and gathering of competitive players to talk about the opportunities for competitive play. Post all tournaments notifications here.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

If you want to play or are playing in this tourney, please read all the information below as there is some important stuff there and I don't particularly want people spamming me questions all day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game: Balanced Annihilation V7.19

Date and Time: Today, we will start as soon as we get 16 players

Scoring: All rounds best of 3 except finals which is best of 5

Players: Hopefully 16, if we haven't got 16 by 7PM then we'll start with what we have

Maps:

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3: Finals:

Hosting: Me and Zydox setup 8 Tourneybots for use in 1v1 BA Tournaments. I'm hoping to do a lot more with them in the future but for now, they offer simple 1v1 hosting with map rotations for the specific tourneys when needed. For example, the current map rotation uses all the maps above, however, at the time of writing !nextmap is random but hopefully it will move to the next map in the list eventually. Note that map options are still default on these hosts so you may need to use a relay if you can't cope with fog.

Playability: Some of you may not be able to play certain maps for whatever reason, in which case, play a similar map in its place. It is advised for map options such as fog to be turned off for frame rate reasons. (Note, Seth's Ravine has a built in map widget called "DualFog" which you can disable ingame to turn fog off locally)

Seeding: Will be randomly done by Challonge

Players leaving: If a player leaves, a bye will be issued, I don't really want people who weren't there at the start hopping in when somebody leaves

Challonge: Image

Join #tourney (type /join #tourney in the lobby chat)

Some of my replays - Replays site

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any questions feel free to ask in this topic or in the lobby ([Fx]Droid/Jazcash).
Last edited by Jazcash on 20 Dec 2010, 00:53, edited 4 times in total.
knorke

Re: 1v1 BA Tourney - 19th December

Post by knorke »

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

upload that final replay, a very unusual ending, especially in a tournament!

nicely played jaz and 8D, only saw your games
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Post by Zydox »

Hey Jaz.

Thanks for organizing this great tournament :-)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

only i find it highly fail to announce tourney with mostly unknown maps and play it same day ?

anyway, like new faces and waiting for replays
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

It's over! 8D won 3-2 vs Me for the final battle. You can see how all the games panned out above and I'll be uploading all my replays after I've written this post.

For starters, this was the best tourney I've ever played in and was also fun to organise, despite one or two minor hiccups. In fact, it went more smoothly than I could ever have hoped.

The variation in maps gave the tourney a lot of spice and made it fun to watch, hence the reason why we ended up with 35-42 specs in a couple games. It also allowed for players to show how well they can adapt to new terrain and maps, instead of having a linear, remembered way of playing for maps they've played 100 times.

Secondly, the Tourney bots me and Zydox setup worked incredibley well considering we setup them up only this morning. Hopefully in the future we'll have them switching maps automatically or perhaps with a bit of lovely code, even uploading scores/replays automatically. Thanks again Dox <3

Thirdly, the turn out was great, it took a while for us to get the players needed but it started at 5:30 and ran till 11:08 without anybody leaving or having any problems so I'd like to also give a big thank you to all the players who played in the tourney, it couldn't have worked without every one of you :P

The only small problem we had was two or three games were played on the wrong map, all in the first round mind you. For the next tourney, I'll try and find a solid way of countering this, probably using the Tourneybots.

I got a lot of thank you's and thumbs up for making a tourney using mostly unplayed 1v1 maps, it certainly got a lot of interest in them. Also, Lampe (Creator of DSDonly host), said the tourney inspired him to get into the 1v1 scene which is always a good thing.

Hopefully I'll do another one of these in the future. Some feedback, good and bad about this one would be appreciated.

Some of my replays (In order from Semifinals to Finals)

http://replays.adune.nl/?2994
http://replays.adune.nl/?2993
http://replays.adune.nl/?2992
http://replays.adune.nl/?2991
http://replays.adune.nl/?2990
http://replays.adune.nl/?2989
http://replays.adune.nl/?2988
Umrug

Post by Umrug »

Jazcash thanks a lot for organizing the tourney!
The idea of new maps is totally great - every measure is good in order to make players not play comet/gayser again.
I saw some absolutely awesome games, with smart maneuvers and unpredictable endings. Spectators were funny, and only insignificant amount of genitalia was drawn ingame, which is indication of overall retardness going down.
Also, as far as Spring and BA go, there was almost 0 amount of fail - almost because Seth Ravine v2 was unplayable for Harvey and he gave up, but thats minor.

Now lets see a 2v2 :) You can do it.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

these maps are not new btw, except seth (hey harvey, f11). but ye its cool, maybe i wont have to say 'omfg ccr' after each tourney/1v1 :/
Gota

Post by Gota »

Umrug wrote: Now lets see a 2v2 :) You can do it.
Alien

Post by Alien »

I thought this was a great tourney, even though I played awful, it was fun to spec all the games on these maps and it's so much better to do 3 different maps per person than the same map 3 times.

So much better than flops tourneys
Slitherin

Post by Slitherin »

Thank you for the great tourney. At the beginning i feel like Drone┬┤s stalker, but i found lots of skilled players, i am new on Spring scene so it was really amazing for me, i┬┤ve got lots of new experience and the time when i will crush you all is coming xD
I will lookup for the next tourney (i think like spect :P )
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Good tourney, especially cause of the spectator numbers. Though the games werent that great often, so many maps that ppl were unfamiliar with or just weird, leads to many big mistakes, but if that gets a bigger audience so be it :D
Gota

Post by Gota »

Cool tourney though i still think that it owuld be better to do all 3 rounds on the same map except the finals but use new maps that dont get much play.

That way we try new maps but also allow players to at least get used to them and warm up to them so games dont end quickly cause a player wasnt used to the map and did a huge mistake that he couldnt avoid.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

just dont fail again.

dont tell ppl which maps u want to play and then play them same day, what is just dumb.

and u will be golden.
Alien

Post by Alien »

nah that was good imo, everyone had to learn the maps as they went along

no pre-made tactix or anything
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Alien wrote:nah that was good imo, everyone had to learn the maps as they went along
plz
Gota

Post by Gota »

Alien wrote:nah that was good imo, everyone had to learn the maps as they went along

no pre-made tactix or anything
That doesnt work.
You get people losing rounds cause of random stuff that isnt their fault cause they didnt have enough time to learn tht a cerain path on a cerian map is not suitable for vehicles etc etc...
If u play the same map 3 rounds at least you can eventually win cause of ur own skill and not casue the map is slightly broken somewhere.

The problem is that most maps dont hold up to scruitany in technical matters.
On most maps you cant exactly see on the texture wher edifferent types of untis can pass.
Some maps have metal spots with different values without any indication so you must know the map...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i suggest making debate and list of 'cool underplayed 1v1 maps which will be hosted during next 1v1 tournament so everyone got equal chances to win'

or something
Gota

Post by Gota »

Wombat wrote:i suggest making debate and list of 'cool underplayed 1v1 maps which will be hosted during next 1v1 tournament so everyone got equal chances to win'

or something
A map apreccition society....

Seriously though,yes we do need ot make a list of maps that are up to some minimal standard of quality and balance.
For example one of the map yesterday made by Otherside was broken...

Just a list of reccomended maps for 1v1.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Wouldnt be a bad idea to get some list of maps that are just good in every respect. Doesn't really have to be underplayed maps either, if it's good it's good.

Some criteria for good map: texture is indicative of height & metalmaps (really should always be the case, I see noexcuse to not have this even if a ton of maps fail here), good factional balance, well, after that it's just about what people find entertaining. Maps that lead to very short games too often aren't good, i guess most people don't like too passive maps either. And have a varied map set per tourney preferably, not too many maps that are too similar to each other.

"learning maps as you go" when playing it possibly for 1st time is ridiculous, why would you want tourney where people play bad rather than 1 where they play well.

Return to “Tournaments”