Dev meeting minutes 2011-11-28 - Page 2

Dev meeting minutes 2011-11-28

Minutes of the meetings between Spring developers are archived here.
luckywaldo7

Re: Dev meeting minutes 2011-11-28

Post by luckywaldo7 »

hoijui wrote:whether you are with kloot or GF, one thing is for sure: proper, global multi-version support would make it a non-issue (if it was one).
Yes definitely absolutely this. Stress-testing is best done in a competitive multiplayer environment. Messing around in test version with
/cheat or AI's is just not the same.
smoth

Post by smoth »

*edit for ambiguity*

I don't think that is what he is saying. By having multiversion support zk can stay in the old and not move on to the new if it wants. Not that a "competitve" environment is required.

I think competitive players are good but they are not the end all of testing even competitive players who are good at a game. I still LOL at some of the people in this thread who dropped their wisdom on me about how gundam sucks after a single game because they are so good at balance and stuff from playing lots of hours..
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Licho wrote: * spring --version and spring-dedicated --version output is rather random.
There has to be a consitency of the rules maintained across all past and future releases.
I told you that I added `spring --sync-version`.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

smoth wrote:*edit for ambiguity*

I don't think that is what he is saying. By having multiversion support zk can stay in the old and not move on to the new if it wants. Not that a "competitve" environment is required.

I think competitive players are good but they are not the end all of testing even competitive players who are good at a game. I still LOL at some of the people in this thread who dropped their wisdom on me about how gundam sucks after a single game because they are so good at balance and stuff from playing lots of hours..
I think would be annoying and presumptuous of them but that's unrelated to what I said.

Sometimes pathing might bug in a certain way, or units that are supposed to fire backwards will stop firing backwards, but you won't notice it or care until you are desperately trying to micro your units to win a game. I'm talking engine-related things, not game-side design decisions.
smoth

Post by smoth »

You would be amazing at the sort of presumptuous crap I have had to read..

yeah in cases of changes being quickly noticed, "pro" types notice faster but they also misinterpret new behavior as "broken" all too often. Many times it might be much better but they are used to the bugged way if you know what I mean? I see that sort of feedback as good but it has to be carefully considered as often any change to what people are used to results in OH FUCK REVERT NAO.

Return to “Meeting Minutes”