Dev Meeting Minutes (2011-01-03)

Dev Meeting Minutes (2011-01-03)

Minutes of the meetings between Spring developers are archived here.
Post Reply
User avatar
jK
Spring Developer
Posts: 2299
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 07:30

Dev Meeting Minutes (2011-01-03)

Post by jK » 04 Jan 2011, 00:48

Date: 2011-01-03
Present: hoijui, jK, Kloot, Tobi



_Agenda_____________________________________________________________________
  • 0.82.7/8
  • package generated AI sources as separate archive(s) on the buildbot?
  • float3 IsInBounds & CheckInBounds - different min values
  • spring jobs?
  • using a mailinglist to contact all linux package maintainers on new engine releases

_The meeting________________________________________________________________
0.82.7/8
>> jK joined!
>> hoijui joined!
>> Kloot joined!
hoijui: hey kloot
hoijui: abotu your recent commits
Kloot: hi
hoijui: looks like they shoudl be in release
hoijui: one of them.. the heap corruption one..
hoijui: woudl it need a .8?
hoijui: sync relevant?
Kloot: technically yes, at least a 7.1
hoijui: or woudl it just cuase crashes
hoijui: :D yeah thats the question
hoijui: .8 or .7.1
Kloot: crashes/desyncs
hoijui: ok
hoijui: going for .8 then
Kloot: but only S44 gadget code triggers it afiac
hoijui: mmm
Kloot: afaik*
hoijui: so mayb not worth it hm...
Kloot: unless you play s44 a lot ;0
hoijui: :D
hoijui: could they add an easy workaround?
hoijui: mm
hoijui: ah nm.. i guess .8 is ok
Kloot: alright
hoijui: anything else. not yet committed, you want in?
Kloot: nope, I've nothing critical
hoijui: ok
hoijui: jk?
jK: checking
jK: linear shadow space?
hoijui: isnt that more like a feature then a bug fix?
jK: w/o it shadows are broken in s44
hoijui: also.. tobi said, to fix the streflop related error on OS X buildbot, it woudl be good if the Offscreen one would be fixed first, nad he might try to fix it during the meeting
hoijui: so if you could commit that, at least when he turns up
jK: k then I start my 2months merge >_<
hoijui: :D :D
hoijui: yeah well.. i dont know about that really.. i remember that someone (was it kloot?) was thinking that change might not be good? (shadow one)
hoijui: i can't say.. i just dont want some big change, that might break all other mods
Kloot: it won't break things, but people will notice and complain about the change unless they have shadowmap size set high enough
hoijui: ahh yeah
hoijui: is the default high enough?
Kloot: it is for the old nonlinear shadows
hoijui: so it will look ugly for most people that use shadows then?
jK: I don't think that anyone use such small shadowmap sizes, because ppl with old pcs can't use shadows at all
jK: 1024 is fine and most ppl use that or 2048
jK: only 512 is fugly
Kloot: 1024 already produces quite some aliasing from terrain
hoijui: i really dont care muhc about this .. whether its in or not.. cant vote
Kloot: personally I don't either, I just know that spring players like to whine much about the tiniest things ><
hoijui: :D
jK: the current non-linear space already produce visual errors
hoijui: you vote +1, jk?
jK: yup
hoijui: ok
>> Tobi joined!
Tobi: hey
hoijui: ah :D hello!
hoijui: we did not officially start yet, just discussed the release a bit
hoijui: i will make a .8 (becuase of kloots sync related fix)
hoijui: and will include jk's linear shadow map change
hoijui: jk.. you are merging all your changes now?
hoijui: that offscreen fix is intervoven?
jK: finished
jK: just need to check if it still compiles :)
hoijui: ahh nice :-)
hoijui: Tobi... you siad you need that to have a look at streflop
hoijui: (problem on OS X)
hoijui: Kloot, i picked your commits to the release branch already, will upload it to my repo on github (there were two conflicts) in case you want to check it.
hoijui: git remote add hoijui git@github.com:hoijui/spring.git
hoijui: branch: 0.82-branch
Kloot: sure
hoijui: thanks :-)

package generated AI sources as separate archive(s) on the buildbot?
hoijui: or more precisely:
hoijui: i would write some scripts, one for the new C++ wrapper and one for Java AIs, that packs stuff together into a zip that is required to write an AI
hoijui: for java it would be two jars (bin and src), and for C++ soem headers and a static lib.. i guess
hoijui: shoudl not be too big
hoijui: nothign too much to discuss i guess... i'll go to next (you may still talk about that)

float3 IsInBounds & CheckInBounds - different min values
hoijui: see the .cpp, one uses 0.0f, the other 1.0f as minimum
hoijui: also nothign too tragic.. coudl it be to prevent rounding errors?
hoijui: if it is to prevent div by zero, it would be a bad way to do it, i think, and could be re-factored slowly
hoijui: (etherpad has mroe info btw)
Kloot: probably some old code was counting on that to make sure x - 1 was a valid coordinate
hoijui: ahh
hoijui: mm
hoijui: i'll note it down as.. to be changed to 0.0, if possible/with fixes
Kloot: or they were just typos and nobody spotted / cared to remove them :)

spring jobs?
hoijui: :D
hoijui: mm
hoijui: example: "wanted: (dedicated) engine test games organizer."
hoijui: could be on hte wiki
jK: it would be nice, still I don't think many ppl will answer on those request, but even when get 1 person by 50 requests then it was worth it imo
hoijui: mm :-)
jK: example the Connection.cpp completition: the chances that someone does it are quite low (imo <10%)
hoijui: mmm true

using a mailinglist to contact all linux package maintainers on new engine releases
hoijui: (is that one obsolete by the RDD feed to the news forum?)
Kloot: brb
hoijui: RSS*
jK: hmmm RSS seems fine, too
hoijui: ok
hoijui: then we are at end of meeting already ;-)
hoijui: any other things to discuss?
jK: currently no
hoijui: ok
jK: I will do the minutes
hoijui: thanks :-)
0 x

User avatar
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer
Posts: 683
Joined: 20 Oct 2009, 13:04

Re: Dev Meeting Minutes (2011-01-03)

Post by jamerlan » 04 Jan 2011, 19:08

From this post i know about RSS for maintainers :-)
Thank you for meeting minutes! They are always very interesting!
0 x

User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20669
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: Dev Meeting Minutes (2011-01-03)

Post by AF » 04 Jan 2011, 20:11

package generated AI sources as separate archive(s) on the buildbot?
hoijui: or more precisely:
hoijui: i would write some scripts, one for the new C++ wrapper and one for Java AIs, that packs stuff together into a zip that is required to write an AI
hoijui: for java it would be two jars (bin and src), and for C++ soem headers and a static lib.. i guess
hoijui: shoudl not be too big
hoijui: nothign too much to discuss i guess... i'll go to next (you may still talk about that)
Wait what?! After spending months ignoring me completely when I propose this very thing, after months of you telling me I'm a lazy arsehole for not doing everything form scratch myself ( despite multiple failed attempts to do so ), after throwing huge tantrum hissy fits in the lobby and making a show of yourself....... no wonder people have no faith round here in things
0 x

User avatar
hoijui
Former Engine Dev
Posts: 4342
Joined: 22 Sep 2007, 09:51

Re: Dev Meeting Minutes (2011-01-03)

Post by hoijui » 04 Jan 2011, 21:51

what exactly is your problem?
"should not be too big" refers to the size of the generated packages in bytes, not the work required for getting this done.
or are you pissed cause i try to do what you want me to do?
also, if you are the only one requesting something, and you do it in the usual AF way, i give practically everything else a higher priority on my list. recently, someone else asked for this, in a normal way.
0 x

User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20669
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: Dev Meeting Minutes (2011-01-03)

Post by AF » 04 Jan 2011, 21:59

A simple response at the very beginning would have saved both of us many hours of wasted time. It mustve been obvious when I first asked for the C++ Wrappers and got a copy, and when attempting to generate them myself failed, that I would ask again on the next release? Or that I would ask for an automated setup so I didnt have to deal with you? I really dont think a "never ask for them again or else" response from you combined with an accusation I was being lazy despite spending hours of my own time trying to get it to work is fair.

No response to my questions, unfounded accusations, insults, and attacks do not help hoijui. I was happy to just compile my AI and get on with things, and never wanted to deal with prodding you for copies of things in the first place.

I am simply astounded that it takes so much effort to get the simplest of responses out of you purely for personal reasons. Considering you are an API maintainer, you should have designed to prevent this from the beginning, saving yourself huge amounts of time.
0 x

User avatar
Neddie
Community Lead
Posts: 9406
Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 05:05

Re: Dev Meeting Minutes (2011-01-03)

Post by Neddie » 04 Jan 2011, 22:07

In the interest of keeping this topic on track, I'm asking you two to confine your argument to private messages.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Meeting Minutes”