Dev meeting minutes 2010-06-27 - Page 4

Dev meeting minutes 2010-06-27

Minutes of the meetings between Spring developers are archived here.
bibim
Lobby Developer

Re: Dev meeting minutes 2010-06-27

Post by bibim »

Is this version of TASServer running on any test lobby server?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

<[ARP]hoijui_g5> current master of TASServer is running on springlobby.info
Manoa

Post by Manoa »

if spring was backward compatible, I think it would be possible to use all those latest and greatest GL3 (or even 4 like tessalation) hardware features, maybe if someday the network code was finished. or a separate spring version that has different minimum hardware requirements, like pre-shader hardware, and a separate pre-SSE hardware version (maybe not that far), maybe if there was a good separation point that doesn't mess up maintenance, but backward compatibility would probably be the major win for this, but it may cause problems for mods and plugins (specifically those that use or dont use those advanced hardware features) so I afraid that if spring was separate in edition it would require more than just backward compatibility in engines, but also in mods and plugins. I am thinking how hard it might be to make a mod that uses the new model format and release a separate version of it in the old format.... it may not at all be possible. even if engine was support the two and netcode was backward compatible, the model format (for example) may not be convertible, and modders might not want to at all do it since it's hard enough to make the one version.

but there is alot in the settings, so it's probably possible to use the many advanced features in one version, but at some point it might cause limitations and just make mess or bloat in the code, there may not be an answer to this problem. and then there is no way to sync different versions of the simulation.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

was this just the smartest bot post .. ever?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

hoijui wrote:was this just the smartest bot post .. ever?
Or a user who is not aware that he necro an old topic.... Anyways response as a normal human would do.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

the necroing is not the reason why i call it a bot post, but cause he made a single sentence, spanning over two paragraphs, and with a view '.' chars inserted half-randomly. you can read it, and at the end, at best, remember the last line of it.

my problem is also, that he starts with:
if spring was backward compatible ...
after which my brain performs an auto-shutdown, and only slowly starts working again at the end of the sentence, which in this case is also the end of the post.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

Manoa wrote:if spring was backward compatible, I think it would be possible to use all those latest and greatest GL3 (or even 4 like tessalation) hardware features, maybe if someday the network code was finished. ...
You are confused on many levels, while spring is not backwards compatible sync-wise, you can any any sort of changes to unsynced without breaking version compatibility ( rendering is unsynced )
Manoa wrote:and a separate pre-SSE hardware version
this simply won't happend, SSE is used in synced code, pre-SSE could only play against pre-SSE ( the extra efforts to build it, are not worth because there's hardly any cpu fast enough to run spring that doesn't support SSE )

I suggest you that you read how spring works first before making such comments

Return to “Meeting Minutes”