Beta Design document

Beta Design document

An "ADVENTURERS" project, seeking to produce a Dune RTS inspired by the efforts of and portrayals by Westwood and Lynch.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

KiviTheBird

Beta Design document

Post by KiviTheBird »

Okay i have collected all needed information for make a beta game request.

What we need, in simple words:
One small map, with two bases on it, your and enemy(may be without AI). Map contains Two seismic stable areas. and some resources

Your base is able to
-call placeholder of engineer infantry, witch can be moved to spice field and call hatvester. then harvest resources with temporary and full refinery.

-build two buildings refinery and heavy machine factory.

-build one devastsator to have happy holydays in sands of dune.

in next post i will completely describe it all
KiviTheBird

Re: Beta Design document

Post by KiviTheBird »

THE MAP

map is small

white is sharp rocks, they are for good looking map. only decorations.
gray is plateau, look like solid rock. dark gray is sands. black is endless abyss. there are some stone bridges

orange is spice fields
green arrows note that here is ramp to sand
red dots is bases(and buildable areas)

map coloring
refer to lynch dune
http://fandangogroovers.files.wordpress ... m-dune.jpg

anyway it must be a bit monochrome, sky is grey-to-darksand color, there is fog (sand dust) and dunes and rocks

Clean map version
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

THE BASE

this is fortress - our central building.
In beta it produces power, engineers, can dock koptours with spice. 10 seconds to unload
produces
engineer(may appear like a cube in beta)
100 power
build radius

This wast industrial abdomination is harkonnen heavy line machine factory green arrow shows where tanks appear.
it will have some animations(cylinders pumping, gears rotate, smoking light flashes from entrance) but we not asking it in beta.

consumes
50 power
1500 spice to build(will change in future)

produces
devastator tank

Harkonnen Refinery acceps coptours much faster then temporary refinery. 2 seconds to unload. green arrow shows coptour dock
consumes
30 power

This stupid pile of scrap is Water Bunker placeholder. I will make real model of water bunker in future.
It is just stone looks like bunker our leader made.

Consumes
10 power

Produces
10 water
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

BUILD SYSTEM
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

RESOURCE COLLECTING

KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

UNITS AWAILABLE IN BETA AND THEIR DESCRIPTION
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

wasn't this mod originally planned for the SAGE engine? I've seen it on moddb before..
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@KiviTheBird

Koptour - do you mean the spice harvesters? The things that collect spice?
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

No, that's the Atreides way. Harkonnen use one large barely mobile harvester and several small fast flying things (koptours) which carry spice from the harvester to refinery. At least that's how I understood it.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Ahhh.

Ornithopters. Or helicopters. 'Copter. Gotcha.
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

wasn't this mod originally planned for the SAGE engine? I've seen it on moddb before..
CnC3, then Ra3, Then Starcraft2, modb page still says it is C&C3
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

Be patient please, i not finished adding data. There will be everything needed to create beta game.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

iirc you can't easily make bridge in spring
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

zwzsg will likely come and post but...

"easy" way to pull this off would be to "void water" out the "bottomless chasm" there and then use Lua to draw a bottom for the chasm and "supports" for the bridge...

@KiviTheBird that height-map without the "doodles" would allow someone to throw together a rough prototype map for you in a few hours... you should post a clean version of it.

EDIT
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

@KiviTheBird that height-map without the "doodles" would allow someone to throw together a rough prototype map for you in a few hours... you should post a clean version of it.
posted clean map
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

as long as you're fine with a bridge that people can't pass under (if the bridge is over a chasm for instance) then you don't need any fancy hacks.

the siesmic stability zones (mentioned elsewhere) can easily be accomplished using a typemap (easy to make)

i ran your hmap quickly through the editor and a texturescript; (i know, i know, arrakis is sand, but i dont have a pre-made desert climate) threw some very rough bridges on there

water would be erased using a technique like voidwater (see spring maps like speedball) or hidden (spring map seths ravine)

so anyways yeah. bridges are easy. one tip... for "flat" areas of the map, keep them -very- flat, so that you dont get those strange markings around the map like little dents (unless ofc you want those, then don't mind what im saying)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Personally I'm a fan of the various fog/mist systems for obscuring the chasm bottom - seems to work the best with Spring's map-model. Use the impassable map thing... was it called void (not voidwater, just void) and fog. Whatever the high part in Hell's Pass used.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Yeah, bridges over black bottomless pit are easy to do. They don't even require any Lua.

I'm more concerned about the amount of work to code spice collection in Spring, as this would require a skilled Lua coder.... Though for a start you can simply kindly ask about borrowing knorke's gadget.
knorke

Post by knorke »

for the harvesting:
there is one game that does harvesting similiar to the eco you want, Conflict Terra: http://code.google.com/p/conflictterra/

in its forum are some threads that explain how it works:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=24238
the gadget is this file:
http://code.google.com/p/conflictterra/ ... mining.lua

there is also a system to spawn the resources players harvest ("resources" are basically units that look like rocks) here is thread that explains why this system is more flexible then using springs metal map:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=24405
gadget:
http://code.google.com/p/conflictterra/ ... pawner.lua
it reads files that are basically long lists of

Code: Select all

SpawnResource (X, Y)
those files look like:
http://code.google.com/p/conflictterra/ ... el_res.lua
(there is a tool that helps to generate them almost automaticly)

Setting it up is as easy as giving an invisible "miner weapon" to your harvesters, open the tp_mining.lua and adjust some unit names like this:

Code: Select all

local miner_name = {"harkonnen_harvester","atreides_harvester"}              --the unit used for mining
local resource_name = {"spice"}             --the stuff that gets mined
local dropoff_name = {"harkonnen_spice_depot", "atreides_spice_depot"}       --where the miners bring the resources to
There are some things with it that would be better if done more flexible etc. but at the moment there is no alternative to it...And some things like carriers transporting harvesters will need more stuff to be added...
It does work though, to test it play a game of Conflict Terra. If you want to chat about it, i am in #moddev
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Could they use an invisible non-blocking model with a ground-splat to make spice look like stains on the sand instead of rocks?

Return to “Dune: Evolution”