Game coder search - Page 3

Game coder search

An "ADVENTURERS" project, seeking to produce a Dune RTS inspired by the efforts of and portrayals by Westwood and Lynch.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Game coder search

Post by Forboding Angel »

Also, spring supports unit normalmapping for ultrahard buttsecks.

Edit: Folks, now you have proof that the only games here worth playing have "Evo" as some sort of a shortname! (Before all the BAW starts... I'm just kidding guys, put the pitchforks down)
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

we use normal, specular layers in adiction to diffuze, sure spring will hold it without any problems
---------
Hey, is any contingencies in getting project forum on spring or something? i wrore a day before this request and not getting any answer positive nor negative
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

Okay, last news.

I have no answer from administration of spring forum. If not recieve any decision in a week our team is just will create private spring development sub section on our forum, and will inwite any interested coders mappers and animators there, only promotional content will be on central spring community
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

KiviTheBird wrote:Okay, last news.

I have no answer from administration of spring forum. If not recieve any decision in a week our team is just will create private spring development sub section on our forum, and will inwite any interested coders mappers and animators there, only promotional content will be on central spring community
Send a PM to the "Moderators" group at least... I don't know how to make new sub-forums but maybe someone else does.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Pretty sure Neddie does.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I made you a forum, will move this thread there.
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

thank you, it is not private, i hope?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

This is looking good. I don't have much free time currently but I could help with some gadget and widget coding if you need it. Noone has gone over what coding a game for spring entails so I will provide an outline here.

Firstly, am I right that you only have models and textures? As far as art is concerned you will need a few more things such as UI skins, weapon and unit reply sounds, mouse cursor images and explosion effect images.

A major part of coding this will be importing the models and animating them. I have not see anyone volunteer for this so far which may be because it looks like the most lengthy and tedious part. It is not hard, models have to be exported to a spring friendly format (I think the best is .obj but you would have to ask a modeller) and then imported into UpSpring. With UpSpring you define the pieces of the model that will be movable in a group and the hierarchy of pieces. The unit is animated by rotating and moving these pieces in a lua script, the animation is event driven and has animation threads. If noone wants to do this for you your animator could be taught to do this as he won't have anything else to do.

The other major coding required defines the non-default elements of the game and the UI. These are known as gadgets and widgets.

Gadgets are pieces of lua code that change and add functionality to the base engine. With them Spring can do prettymuch anything. Every game element you have mentioned so far is well within feasibility of what you can do with gadgets and many things have been implemented somewhere else already. Gadgets take much more coding and spring specific knowledge to write than animation scripts but are a lot less tedious to write. You should be able to find people to write them, I would write some.

Widgets are UI elements and helpers. There is a UI framework called Chili which will make producing a UI for your game quite easy for someone who knows how to do it. You'll probably find people to do this too.

There are also a few more things to do. Unit definitions are basically data input tables that anyone can write. Effects for explosions also need writing but you could probably borrow and modify some from other games if you have to. Core game definitions are also needed, I think there is a demo barebones mod around somewhere which contains all that is needed for this.
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

Google_Frog wrote:This is looking good. I don't have much free time currently but I could help with some gadget and widget coding if you need it. Noone has gone over what coding a game for spring entails so I will provide an outline here.

Firstly, am I right that you only have models and textures? As far as art is concerned you will need a few more things such as UI skins, weapon and unit reply sounds, mouse cursor images and explosion effect images.

A major part of coding this will be importing the models and animating them. I have not see anyone volunteer for this so far which may be because it looks like the most lengthy and tedious part. It is not hard, models have to be exported to a spring friendly format (I think the best is .obj but you would have to ask a modeller) and then imported into UpSpring. With UpSpring you define the pieces of the model that will be movable in a group and the hierarchy of pieces. The unit is animated by rotating and moving these pieces in a lua script, the animation is event driven and has animation threads. If noone wants to do this for you your animator could be taught to do this as he won't have anything else to do.

The other major coding required defines the non-default elements of the game and the UI. These are known as gadgets and widgets.

Gadgets are pieces of lua code that change and add functionality to the base engine. With them Spring can do prettymuch anything. Every game element you have mentioned so far is well within feasibility of what you can do with gadgets and many things have been implemented somewhere else already. Gadgets take much more coding and spring specific knowledge to write than animation scripts but are a lot less tedious to write. You should be able to find people to write them, I would write some.

Widgets are UI elements and helpers. There is a UI framework called Chili which will make producing a UI for your game quite easy for someone who knows how to do it. You'll probably find people to do this too.

There are also a few more things to do. Unit definitions are basically data input tables that anyone can write. Effects for explosions also need writing but you could probably borrow and modify some from other games if you have to. Core game definitions are also needed, I think there is a demo barebones mod around somewhere which contains all that is needed for this.

We will soon give beta docunents and anything need fof this beta, even user interface

Return to “Dune: Evolution”