Registering multiple accounts with the same e-mail address

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Please make this possible. I already have all my e-mails taken by bot registrations, and now I'm unable to re-register my chat account after it was dropped/deleted/? around january/february.
Silentwings

Re: Registering multiple accounts with the same e-mail address

Post by Silentwings »

Uberserver is never going to allow two accounts to share the same email address.

Bot accounts can be created on request by lobby mods, without need for an email address. Lobby mods can also remove accounts. Afaics you will now need to ask for one or both of these things, to fix your problem here, depending on exactly what you want.
now I'm unable to re-register my chat account after it was dropped/deleted/
Once an account no longer exists, the email it was once registered to is available to new users. If you think this is not happening you should report a bug with logs etc.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Silentwings wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 16:40 Uberserver is never going to allow two accounts to share the same email address.
Why not?

Silentwings wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 16:40 Once an account no longer exists, the email it was once registered to is available to new users. If you think this is not happening you should report a bug with logs etc.
The account in question predates the e-mail requirement
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Just use an alias.

youremail+alias@whatever.com

Most halfway decent providers support this functionality. Even the most basic of hosted email accounts on my webhost have support for this.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Forboding Angel wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 07:08
I already used up my alias quota on circumventing this restriction when creating more bots.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I'm assuming you have your own domain with hosted email. If that is the case, set a catchall that forwards everything to your email. Then you can use whateveryoulike@domain.com without having to have a real box there.

It's not a very good solution, it would work though. Alternatively, make a gmail account and forward all emails to it to your real address, then use gmail's aliasing system which doesn't have any limits.

Obviously these are just workarounds, but I'm assuming that there is basically zero chance of the server allowing multiple accounts on one email, so just throwing out suggestions that might get you around the issue.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Forboding Angel wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 05:02

I do not have my own domain, nor do I want to make a gmail account.

I suppose that this is indeed pointless. At best I'll be told to get githubbed. Oh, well...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Maybe proton mail is an option? I believe aliases there are not limited either.

I'm surprised that in 2021 email aliases are limited tbh.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

This IS Protonmail. But afaik we are given only 2 (3?) aliases, and they were all used for registering bots on this platform.

Anyway, this is a pointless thread about a pointless restriction that will never get fixed. Before e-mail verification I had high hopes that it'll be used for good and actually fix some things, but all it did is it raised the barrier to entry (and return!).
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

ThinkSome wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 14:53 Please make this possible. I already have all my e-mails taken by bot registrations, and now I'm unable to re-register my chat account after it was dropped/deleted/? around january/february.
can you use a matrix client for chatting? there you can use the same account for chatting.

(matrix mostly works, just some "minor" bugs wrt the bridge: https://github.com/TurBoss/matrix-sprin ... e/issues/2 )
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Is there a list of matrix rooms? I'm in a s44 one (!EoIGLmjIYqPSFLNWVn:matrix.org) and messages are definetely not being relayed. But perhaps that was a freenode bridge room? I'm a newbie when it comes to matrix.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

ThinkSome wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 00:11 This IS Protonmail. But afaik we are given only 2 (3?) aliases, and they were all used for registering bots on this platform.

Anyway, this is a pointless thread about a pointless restriction that will never get fixed. Before e-mail verification I had high hopes that it'll be used for good and actually fix some things, but all it did is it raised the barrier to entry (and return!).
You act as though this was some sort of malice on the side of infrastructure, but really this is more an issue with protonmail isn't it? I mean, aliases are not a new thing and implementation-wise, not difficult. If my NAS email server can do something that protonmail cannot, I would consider that unacceptable. Perhaps protonmail simply wants more money from you?

Did you try temporary forwarding services?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

You act as though this was some sort of malice on the side of infrastructure, but really this is more an issue with
The solution is already in viewtopic.php?p=598596#p598596.
never going to allow two accounts to share the same email address.

Why not?
Because (like most of the internet) account recovery is possible via email, amongst other reasons. It's normal.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

It took me apparently three months, but after reading protonmail docs for an unrelated issue I saw that you can have infinite aliases at protonmail. I misunderstood Forb as I thought that "alias" meant the protonmail.ch / protonmail.com / pm.me "aliases". +alias worked to sign up to spring lobby.

Return to “Infrastructure Development”