Uberserver "promote" command for hosts

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

In all seriousness, I reckon this would be useful. It would make it easier for a client lobby to deal with promotes as they want, but also potentially appeal to the many people not in a channel. It would also potentially remove the need for hosts in channels, making it possible for them to be removed from #main, which will make it easier to make sure that hosts aren't spamming unwanted channels. And the server itself could regulate the frequency of promotes, limiting it to every 5 minutes.

Or we could limit a promote to a certain channel, but I don't think that would be necessary.

~MasterBel2
Silentwings

Re: Uberserver "promote" command for hosts

Post by Silentwings »

Actually, in its most recent iteration, the plan was that autohost promotion would be directed towards #main, and that instead #newbies would become a bot free auto-joined channel. Afaics this is also what happened.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Yes, I believe this did happen. However I don't really see the reason that promotes (or host status updates) are in the channels at all. Please enlighten me?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

There has never been a call (or a reason offered that I can remember) to want to ban bots from speaking in *every* channel, or to exclude them by default. In practice #main was the only case that ever caught peoples attention.

Return to “Infrastructure Development”