Forum looks bad - Page 4

Forum looks bad

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

jK
Spring Developer

Re: Forum looks bad

Post by jK »

That's not new. Firefox & chrome detect `long sentences` and mark them as content, so when the website already starts zoomed out, it will enlarge these parts so that they are still readable. The only way to deactivate that is afaik to use fixed width layout as done on the whole rest of the website. Doing so for the forum can't be done cause the current layout is not small-screen compatible. So to fix that you would have to write a whole new layout. Something I don't plan for short-term.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Since a few days (forgot to post it)
1) quotes look strange when using preview:
http://abload.de/img/blampknf.png

2) Bad/wrong font:
In "Linux" can not see the dot on i etc.
firefox 26.0 (default zoom) on win vista
Petah

Post by Petah »

Font is so bad now.....

The i's look like l's.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Petah wrote:The i's look like l's.
I had same issue in prev iteration. What about font that all web developers use, some standard font... And: jK can make user-profile feature, personalized font for logged user, i think it will be faster done then looking for the holy grail of webmaking - custom font, that is OK for all users.
malric

Post by malric »

knorke wrote:In "Linux" can not see the dot on i etc.
Not a "generic" linux problem. For me Arch (firefox 29), CentOS 6.5 (firefox 26) display fonts nicely (and before the latest change they did the same).

On the other hand, the preview problem I think it was already there even before the latest site change.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I disagree, there are other issues, and the main phpbb support forums show none of them

The font on the upload pop up window is also serif default
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-05-13-00-56-03.png
(877.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_2014-05-13-10-30-29.png
(320.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_2014-05-13-10-31-38.png
(302.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

malric wrote:On the other hand, the preview problem I think it was already there even before the latest site change.
AF wrote:I disagree, there are other issues, and the main phpbb support forums show none of them.
I TELL YOU IT WAS THERE BEFORE, YOU IGNORE ME AND CONTINUE TO BLAME ME.

prove that it's NOT MY FAULT:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/930928

gajop: edited language
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Perhaps you should have looked at the screenshots, you forgot the giant quote attributions and the missing font on the upload popup

In the meantime:

Code: Select all

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
Should help with Android chrome, not everyone seeing this is using firefox, and none of my screenshots use firefox ( it isn't installed either ). If the viewport is set appropriately mobile browsers won't attempt to re-adjust font sizes

It also doesn't explain giant text in input boxes

I am simply stating and reporting an issue, not attributing the blame to your first born
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

AF wrote:Perhaps you should have looked at the screenshots, you forgot the giant quote attributions and the missing font on the upload popup

In the meantime:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
Should help with Android chrome, not everyone seeing this is using firefox, and none of my screenshots use firefox ( it isn't installed either ). If the viewport is set appropriately mobile browsers won't attempt to re-adjust font sizes

It also doesn't explain giant text in input boxes
IT EXPLAINS IT!
Mobile browsers auto enlarge `important` text (as I ALREADY HAVE SAID BEFORE), and there is no transparent standard that says what they resize!
And setting initial zoom doesn't solve anything: it will zoom in as hell , so you don't see anything!
AF wrote:I am simply stating and reporting an issue, not attributing the blame to your first born
I am open to constructive critics, but you are just blaming and talking down as if you were god.
Last edited by gajop on 13 May 2014, 13:06, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited out aggressive language
knorke

Post by knorke »

malric wrote:
knorke wrote:In "Linux" can not see the dot on i etc.
Not a "generic" linux problem. For me Arch (firefox 29), CentOS 6.5 (firefox 26) display fonts nicely (and before the latest change they did the same).
I meant the word "Linux" on the screenshot, not the OS ;)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Forbodings modded artodia theme works fine on mobiles, and it seems to be the defacto answer in phpbb circles, perhaps we should take a look
Petah

Post by Petah »

What about how bad it looks on Chrome desktop (win8)?

Image Image

Can we not just use Arial/Helvetica?
Attachments
sss2.png
sss2.png (6.23 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
sss.png
sss.png (8.53 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I suggest that if you are running chrome, to go to the web store and download this plugin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... megbdifhlb (I'm sure there is something similar for firefox).

Go to springrts.com, press ctrl+m, and paste this style into the little slide out box.

@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300italic,400italic,600italic,700italic,800italic,400,800,700,600,300);

body {
    font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif !important;
}
(including all of the possible weights is technically a bit overkill, but honestly... who cares. It's 1 extra second of loading time once (unless you clear your cache), and these weights are used all over the internet).

gajop: (edited some wording..)
@gajop
I don't know. Ask the person who flushed 6 months of professional grade work down the drain because he didn't understand what he was doing.

Then turn around and ask the other guy why the hell he insists on putting everything in a single database, making it nearly impossible to back up individual parts.

Then please, once these things have been cleared up, come back and tell me more about how I'm being too harsh.
Last edited by gajop on 14 May 2014, 13:20, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: warning issued: felony 1, 2 and 7
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Forboding Angel wrote:As much as the engine devs like JK pretend to be, they are not web developers any more than someone who buys a table from Ikea is a manufacturer.
Forboding Angel wrote:For those who are tired of font issues and developers who refuse to admit that they know nothing about web development, I suggest that if you are running chrome, to go to the web store and download this plugin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... megbdifhlb (I'm sure there is something similar for firefox).

Go to springrts.com, press ctrl+m, and paste this style into the little slide out box.

@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300italic,400italic,600italic,700italic,800italic,400,800,700,600,300);

body {
    font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif !important;
}
(including all of the possible weights is technically a bit overkill, but honestly... who cares. It's 1 extra second of loading time once (unless you clear your cache), and these weights are used all over the internet).
Oh yes, I am no web developer, but I also hardly question you are (you are a web admin maybe, but no web layouter/programmer).
Why I say so? Cause your advised fix WON'T WORK, see: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1148 ... gle-chrome
(google's own webfonts suffer the same render problem!)
gajop

Post by gajop »

This thread is becoming personal too fast. If you guys can't communicate problems in a polite and respectful way I'll have to ask you to refrain from posting entirely.
Open new threads IFF you can post criticism while following the forum rules.
PS: For reference, take a look at AF, pepe and other posters here. You can be civil while also giving constructive criticism.

Return to “Infrastructure Development”