Forum looks bad

Forum looks bad

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

Evangelion

Forum looks bad

Post by Evangelion »

Please scale it down, the font is so big it makes my eyes hurt.
knorke

Re: Forum looks bad

Post by knorke »

Did you try ctrl+ft5 to refresh cache? That repaired it on wiki for me.

Now only issue is when posting reply, the font for thread title still seems wrong:

Rest seems normal..same size as before.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

The favicon looks blurred. Plz reupload former version?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

knorke wrote:Did you try ctrl+ft5 to refresh cache? That repaired it on wiki for me.

Now only issue is when posting reply, the font for thread title still seems wrong:

Rest seems normal..same size as before.
i've fixed this!
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Everything is definitely way larger.

Edit: Direct Comparison
gajop

Post by gajop »

Anyone else finds the orange on red kinda weird? Maybe white on red would be better, or something else?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Feels larger to me as well.
cleanrock
Former Engine Dev

Post by cleanrock »

jk prefers big text, perhaps its better to go with what is default and let people customize their pages in their browsers
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I'm letting it settle into my brain for a while before I start saying all the things I hate about it because I suspect much of that has to do with the "new=bad" effect.

That said... I am glad the site was overhauled and put into a nice modern, dynamic, elegantly scaleable form etc. I've just got some minor aesthetic hangups so far.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

cleanrock wrote:jk prefers big text, perhaps its better to go with what is default and let people customize their pages in their browsers
`big` is relative. I remind times when 9px were small and 11px normal (desktop res was 1024x768), then with 1280x1024 websites switched slowly to 14px as default font size. Since that font sizes weren't upped anymore, sure DPI didn't changed much since that, still screens got bigger and ppl have a greater distance to them. So imo it's natural to go the next step to increase font sizes again. Going with browser default font (that the user can change) is something I wish for so many blogs ...
Problem is that currenly huge parts of wiki depend on a user based linebreaks & fixed available space (esp. the lua wikipages, where I am responsible for).
SinbadEV wrote:I'm letting it settle into my brain for a while before I start saying all the things I hate about it because I suspect much of that has to do with the "new=bad" effect.

That said... I am glad the site was overhauled and put into a nice modern, dynamic, elegantly scaleable form etc. I've just got some minor aesthetic hangups so far.
:)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I think one thing that might help would be if we bumped up the rest of the fonts to the same scale... the fonts range from 12px to 23px... maybe it's not the font size that's the problem but the contrast.

I've seen a couple places that a good "normal" font should be 16px... if we went with 14px for "small ", 16px for "normal" and then had the largest font be 18px (for titles) it might not seem so jarring. (speaking of the forums specifically, we can have larger fonts on the homepage/wiki as they are warranted)
Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

jK wrote:imo
Glad you clarified this was a change based on your personal preferences.

Browsers can already adjust font size to serve vision impaired users. I already scale the page down in my browser because it feels like reading a children's book, those with giant letters for learning the alphabet.

Scale it down.

Also the red/orange looks ugly with the blue theme.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

100% font size on the web is 16px.

Also, seriously, who screwed up the favicon?
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

gajop wrote:Anyone else finds the orange on red kinda weird? Maybe white on red would be better, or something else?
white on red looks very albino-like. And using the blue/gray of locationbar & banner isn't an option either, it would make the page appear grave-like.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am not sure about the red yet but I am giving it time. It is a bit jarring initially but so was the past version of the site.

I like the orange on it. I don't think the larger font is bad, get on a real computer regret, the rest of us work is >1024 these days.
Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

smoth wrote:get on a real computer
This is not a hardware issue for me. It's the only phpbb forum with such ugly font size that I tro- browse.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Yo. What's this weird space for on the "View new posts" page (actually on all of the "special views" I think.)
Attachments
Weird space?
Weird space?
newposts_extraspace.png (34.62 KiB) Viewed 5356 times
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

SinbadEV wrote:Yo. What's this weird space for on the "View new posts" page (actually on all of the "special views" I think.)
That space was always there, it is for thread icons which are in most subforums disabled/disallowed. If wanted I can remove that col/space.
Last edited by jK on 01 May 2014, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

jK wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:Yo. What's this weird space for on the "View new posts" page (actually on all of the "special views" I think.)
That space was always there, it is for thread icons which are in most subforums disabled/disallowed. If wanted I can remove that row/space.
Now that I know what it is for I'm neutral on the issue...
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I like them, please keep them! (actually, I just like the space between the thread type icons and the text)

Return to “Infrastructure Development”