Forum & Wiki Wishlist

Forum & Wiki Wishlist

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Forum & Wiki Wishlist

Post by FLOZi »

Forum:

Syntax Highlighting

Wiki:

Update will bring syntax highlighting

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Forum & Wiki Wishlist

Post by PicassoCT »

We may wish for anything?

I want a lua-interpreter with spring calls becoming auto-links to the wikki.

I want a stack-overflowish search for answers, with the most helpfull beeing on top. Most helpfull meaning - someone who used search extensively stops there for more then five minutes.

I want a infolog comparer, grabbing advice from similar infologs posted answers.

And i want a bike.
gajop

Post by gajop »

In regards with the recent website/wiki update initiative, this thread should be revived.

1. As far as other additions go, I'd like automatic generation of linkable wiki content (more elements should have an id value that can be linked to), as well as the creation of visible links (<a> tags) so people don't have to guess links.

2. Also I think the current way talk pages work is flawed. Hardly anyone reads them (I guess they aren't that visible to people), and more importantly by default there's no information about who asked what. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of talk pages is, but if a certain part of the page you are looking at isn't clear to you, or you find some information inaccurate, isn't that the place you should go? Take this for example: http://springrts.com/wiki/Talk:Building_Spring_on_Linux
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

1) When you make a short post on the forums, for that post it could miss out the picture/location/whatever in the leftmost column and not take up a tonne of space with a near empty box containing just a one-liner.

2) Completely agree with code highlighting for c++/lua on forum/wiki.

3) Spring quotes, bring it back! Why did it ever go??

4) Autogenerated links from the dev-orientated wiki pages to their implementation in engine source + fix the doxygen link on http://springrts.com/wiki/Development:Getting_Started .
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Searchable IRC Moddev/Zkdev/Lua/Sy channel dumps
gajop

Post by gajop »

Also want a responsive design for both the wiki and the forums. Wiki is currently broken on phones, can't see the entire text and no way to zoom or pan. Screenshot included. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m446gf0f5qud3 ... .39.59.png
knorke

Post by knorke »

1. As far as other additions go, I'd like automatic generation of linkable wiki content (more elements should have an id value that can be linked to), as well as the creation of visible links (<a> tags) so people don't have to guess links.
Did not test on spring-wiki but in general seems possible: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Anchors
Imo sometimes better to just have links to the #section instead of to the exact line. If more exact linking is need, would suggest to try out the anchor thing.
I am not sure if it is good idea to have links which are "too exact" or "too deep:" Spring is always changing a bit, wiki too. So might end with many dead links, in past there was dead link to whole pages, with anchor-links might be even worse ;). (or lots of maintaince just going around fixing links) But also links from forum to wiki would be more likely to go out of date.

Not sure what you mean with "automatic generation" of the links? Like headings/sections are automaticly linkable? The anchor-thing (if it works) could be put into templates, so that whenever the template is used it can be linked to.
I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of talk pages is, but if a certain part of the page you are looking at isn't clear to you, or you find some information inaccurate, isn't that the place you should go?
Generally yes. Not all other wikis have an extra forum and chat, like Spring has. So for spring that makes the talk-pages less important.
In other wikis, the wiki is discussed in the wiki. (This thread would be a talk page, too)
Not sure if talk-pages could be made useful somehow?
more importantly by default there's no information about who asked what.
Can put signature with: ~~~~ ,just people need to do it. ;)
This then appears as:
Emmanuel (talk) 07:34, 14 November 2012 (CET)
Hardly anyone reads them (I guess they aren't that visible to people)
If the "Discuss this page" link at bottom is a working link (not red) then page has a talk-page.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Before I answer each of your points there's a notion I'd like to get across:
Even though some things are actually possible on the current wiki, it's still not good enough if it takes too much time or knowledge to do common tasks.
If we want to improve the current state of the documentation (which does need improving), writing wikis should be easy as far as knowledge of the tool goes. The only hard part about it should be choosing how to explain things you are writing about.
In fact I'd say most of the features requested are actually possible as it is, but it would involve people doing everything manually. Example: I could even do syntax highlighting if I were to spend time doing it by hand.
knorke wrote:Did not test on spring-wiki but in general seems possible: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Anchors
Imo sometimes better to just have links to the #section instead of to the exact line. If more exact linking is need, would suggest to try out the anchor thing.
I am not sure if it is good idea to have links which are "too exact" or "too deep:" Spring is always changing a bit, wiki too. So might end with many dead links, in past there was dead link to whole pages, with anchor-links might be even worse ;). (or lots of maintaince just going around fixing links) But also links from forum to wiki would be more likely to go out of date.
Yeah, I remember talking to you about anchors but that seemed too complex. FLOZi also mentioned automatically generating anchors in pages using a certain template, but even that seemed needlessly complicated (needed to escape some common function declaration strings iirc).
Dead links are OK, this is mostly meant to link to the Spring API, so if something doesn't exist the link should obviously be dead. I don't see the harm in that, if you need to fix the link you probably need to fix the prose around it anyway, because when the linked function got removed the functionality got lost too.
knorke wrote: Not sure what you mean with "automatic generation" of the links? Like headings/sections are automaticly linkable? The anchor-thing (if it works) could be put into templates, so that whenever the template is used it can be linked to.
Correct, that's what I mean. It's needed if you want wiki linking to be a fast and easy process. Take a look at a working example of this (done with Sphinx), which actually got automatically generated (anchor and link both) without much effort: http://gajop.github.io/liblobby/interfa ... eTeamColor . It even nicely colors the linked element so I know exactly what I was linked to. Now take a look at the source of this: http://gajop.github.io/liblobby/_sources/interface.txt . It wasn't hard to write this at all - not much harder than just writing a function or method itself. While I don't want to push for anything syntactically similar to this Sphinx thing, I want something which is as-easy to use and produces results of a similar quality.
knorke wrote: Not sure if talk-pages could be made useful somehow?
I guess I'd actually prefer a forum-like system in place of the current talk pages. Something like a whole forum subsection linked with each wiki article having its own thread at least. (To anyone reading this: try not to use this argument as a strawmen to bury the entire post)
knorke wrote:Can put signature with: ~~~~ ,just people need to do it. ;)
This then appears as:
Emmanuel (talk) 07:34, 14 November 2012 (CET)
Yep, I remember you telling me that as well. See the opening post for this: some basic features shouldn't be this complex (imagine how things would look like if you had to write ~~~~ each time you did a forum post, and !!!! if you wanted BBCode to be parsed).
knorke wrote:If the "Discuss this page" link at bottom is a working link (not red) then page has a talk-page.
Yeah but I guess it doesn't compare to the View Unread posts available on the forum. Maybe there's something else for the wiki too - I don't know honestly.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

gajop wrote:1. As far as other additions go, I'd like automatic generation of linkable wiki content (more elements should have an id value that can be linked to), as well as the creation of visible links (<a> tags) so people don't have to guess links.
You are free to replace all lua pages with template versions.
gajop wrote:Also want a responsive design for both the wiki and the forums. Wiki is currently broken on phones, can't see the entire text and no way to zoom or pan. Screenshot included. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m446gf0f5qud3 ... .39.59.png
Would/can be solved with above.

-> When I started those pages I didn't thought much about such issues, I just wanted fast & easy good looking results (with templates the current style is extremely hard to realize). It's a long-term todo to replace those pages with wiki templates and to auto generate their content via lua scripts that run on a buildbot.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

+1 button on posts... not necessarily tied to G+... just would like to be able to "*nod*" at a post I like without making a whole new comment.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

jK wrote:
gajop wrote:1. As far as other additions go, I'd like automatic generation of linkable wiki content (more elements should have an id value that can be linked to), as well as the creation of visible links (<a> tags) so people don't have to guess links.
You are free to replace all lua pages with template versions.
Am I? :P
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

SinbadEV wrote:+1 button on posts... not necessarily tied to G+... just would like to be able to "*nod*" at a post I like without making a whole new comment.
+1
Anarchid

A plan for K1TCHEN

Post by Anarchid »

1) Spammers exist and are annoying.
2) Just banning "kїtchen" doesn't do anything.
3) A library called spambayes exists.
4) It is possible to bridge spambayes (which is in python) with php by having php call spambayes as an external program.
5) It will take some time for spambayes to train up to full power.
6) Once it begins actually working, suspicious posts can be submitted for premoderation instead of postmoderation.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Moved " A plan for K1TCHEN" here. Pretty important feature and would make our (moderators) job a lot easier, and users' experience better.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Except those of us who like spam: I'm having spam, spam, spam, baked beans and spam.

Sorry, you mentioned spam and python in same sentence :)
gajop

Post by gajop »

I'd also like to add an optional improvement:
A better GUI for moderating stuff, this one is not really good. I often find myself not sure how to do something or what the result of a certain action would be. I could try and put the exact issues in detail, but I'm not sure if there's even a chance to fix this - this is probably the core of phpbb?
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Just searchin for a place to put pic
Attachments
Moarlikethis.jpg
(751.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

gajop

Post by gajop »

I still think this relevant, although the new forum (but not site) is responsive.
Add to the list a simple "Banned" title that can optionally show a link/tooltip with the date of the ban issue/expiry and maybe also information on who issued it and when.
Related: viewtopic.php?p=572631#p572574

Return to “Infrastructure Development”