account management site

account management site

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

dansan
Server Owner & Developer

account management site

Post by dansan »

Not much more than a html mock-up right now.

The idea is to have http://accounts.springrts.com or something where you can manage various account settings. Then you can add all your lobby accounts ("Add player account") by authenticating with your lobby username+password like it works on the replay site. Password would not be saved, but just used to verify that you are the owner of the lobby account.

If a players password is lost, a pw reset can be requested for previously registered accounts (interface for that on lobby server required).

Login should be done with OpenID. Using OpenID has the advantage that the pw-recovery-hassle is done by the OpenID provider, and less passwords must be memorized by the user. Automatic retrieval of your email address from the OpenID provider, makes newsletter subscription quick and easy. PHPBB can also use OpenID, making forum participation easier.

"Ranking privacy setting" is what bibim describes here. Almost no player knows about it at all, although most are affected. Having to change it using a !command with a lobby bot is not really comfy, so with bibims cooperation this and the display of the output of "!ranking" from SLDB could be accomplished.

I can imagine there are more useful things to configure for player accounts. Those were just the ones I came up with.

I'm interested in your opinion on such a site.
Attachments
account_management_web_site_screeny.png
account management web site screeny
(83.44 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: account management site

Post by FLOZi »

Would be tremendous.

Moving to OpenID might also make a split of dev/player forums easier - Though tbh that isn't so much of an issue any more.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

OK - so here it is: http://springaccounts.admin-box.com/

Atm you can only login via OpenID and register your accounts.

* Password-reset, ranking-&ingame_time-info, privacy-settings need to interface with SLDB and the lobby server. I'll contact their authors now... bibim and aegis, right?
* "Newsletters" is just an idea. If anyone is interested in such, please make a proposal as to how it should be handled (who sends updates, about what, frequency etc.)

Code is available as GPLv3 at https://github.com/dansan/spring-accounts-site . No passwords are stored! Abma has full read access and makes daily backups of the files on the servers disk and the database (same with replay site btw).
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

Hi Dansan,

Nice idea.
I used it with all my accounts, it's ok.

It would be good to have newsletters from springfiles.com relative to new map &/or mods :-)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

yesyesyesyesyesyes

Return to “Infrastructure Development”