spring replay site - Page 5

spring replay site

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Re: spring replay site

Post by dansan »

I found the correct log file :oops: and can see, that you logged in successfully multiple times. Must be your browser. Please check with a browser that is not "privacy enhanced" in any way.

I enabled debug mode on http://replays-test.springrts.com/ so that it will dump the complete login request (you may wish to change your password before that).
knorke

Post by knorke »

Firefox has just normal settings I think. Javascript, cookies enabled, no "stealth" plugins... For test I disabled all plugins but same thing.
Is there any particular interessting setting?
I did a few login attempts on test site. (as snackuser)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

2013-08-24 12:20:02 Successfully logged in.
2013-08-24 12:20:08 Successfully logged in.
2013-08-24 12:23:09 Successfully logged in.
2013-08-24 12:23:23 Wrong username/password.
2013-08-24 12:26:08 Successfully logged in.

... hmm.... oh - your account wasn't created... huh?

Ah... you hit a bug I introduced some commits ago when I fixed a fix for another bug, this is now fixed - 4th fix lol - thank you for trying until it worked :)
knorke

Post by knorke »

Great, loggin in works now. Thanks :-)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Following the media upload possibility for NOTA-TV, the site can now embed user-uploaded videos of the types WebM, MP4, OGG/OGV and FLV. Seeking works only with FLV, as I don't have a streaming server.

Uploading is allowed to the owner of the replay. When she's logged in, there is a link "»»» Upload media files. «««", that leads to a form. Additional users can be allowed to upload, if the owner sends me a PM with their lobby-nicks (--> bot-owners don't need to login with the credentials of their hosts, but can use their normal accounts).

To play around with the upload feature, use the test-site: http://replays-test.springrts.com .
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Finally finished the move to SLDB(*) provided TrueSkill values. Many thanks to bibim for providing a nice xmlrpc interface to all relevant functions and data!

The TS values of each replay, players win/loss statistics, players TS values and the Hall of Fame show all the same values as you'd see when talking to SLDB through the lobby. Privacy settings are honored in the same way as in the lobby, and can be changed when logging in directly on the website.

No skill calculation whatsoever is done on the website. All data is stored and calculated by SLDB, and retrieved live for web-view (some caching for performance and fall-back).

(*) Bibims bot providing TruSkill for spads autohosts balancing.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Code: Select all

BadCharm won!
* Server stopped (running time: 14 minutes and 13 seconds)
*  unknown, inactive or invalid *uploader* account
I resolved this error that I've been having many times. In this new case, it happened when I started the spads process with a normal linux process and then logged out from the ssh connection. When I start the process with nohups instead it works.

For some reason this didn't affect the autohost process itself, just the endgame environment. It's very weird. Computers often are.

Another thing, although maybe unrelated to the replay script: sometimes spads endgame script will be running for a very long time, it only seems to exit about 5 minutes after the game ended. And sometimes it reports the game was undecided although there was a winner. Maybe there is some loop that it gets trapped into? If it matters, there are some packets that are usually discarded like in this output:
Error: Discarding incoming invalid packet: ID 69, LEN -2
Error: Discarding incoming invalid packet: ID 168, LEN -2
Error: Discarding incoming invalid packet: ID 146, LEN -2
Error: Discarding incoming invalid packet: ID 242, LEN -2
Error: Discarding incoming invalid packet: ID 0, LEN -2
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Jools wrote: Another thing, although maybe unrelated to the replay script: sometimes spads endgame script will be running for a very long time, it only seems to exit about 5 minutes after the game ended. And sometimes it reports the game was undecided although there was a winner. Maybe there is some loop that it gets trapped into? If it matters, there are some packets that are usually discarded like in this output:
Error: Discarding incoming invalid packet: ID 242, LEN -2
thats a 94.1 bug... http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=3826
knorke

Post by knorke »

huhu
Autohost "SpringTanksHost1" failed to upload replay, this one:
http://replays.springrts.com/replay/bbf ... 82dd8bc2d/
Internal Server Error (500)
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
FFA on SaltrockColonyV2 01.11.2013 01.11.2013 SpringTanksHost1

That was because autohost config is not done/wrong etc, I think.

But site bug is maybe when one tries to upload the replay manually, the site denies it:
Uploaded replay already exists: "FFA on SaltrockColonyV2"
Maybe it should only block once it has checked if the existing entry really works to download?

Also, but that is just a guess: Does it check just by gameID?
What if a player uploads a replay where he left in middle of game and another player tries to upload the complete replay?
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Webserver wrote:Internal Server Error (500)
Bug on the server, your config is fine.
Game (mod) string in replays is different for each game and version, and the error handling of the upload code is horrible. "RC" in game version string was unexpected :roll:
knorke wrote:Maybe it should only block once it has checked if the existing entry really works to download?

Also, but that is just a guess: Does it check just by gameID?
What if a player uploads a replay where he left in middle of game and another player tries to upload the complete replay?
If the player left while a match was running, the demofile will be incomplete and a reupload will be allowed.

... uhm... just checked, and that's not true... I intended that, but never finished coding it, new issue created.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I am surprised it took so long to finally find something that breaks when encountering letters in version ;)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

I has actually happened like 8 times before. I have simply hardcoded all known naming patterns - and fail when a new one arrives... IMO needs a AI ;)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Start positions are now shown: http://replays.springrts.com/replay/b07 ... 679b8f899/
(needs some fixing for TeamFFA and activation for 1v1)
albator

Post by albator »

Hey Dansan,

Some more idea/suggestion/BS:

1) Colors like while yellow, etc are a pain to read for name. I suggest to make the color being inside a bounding box, the font color staying black

2) For player who belongs to HoF, give a spacial tag/rank/cups/icon, so you can see it in the replays.

3) Some player have like 1000 games played but you can only see a few: e.g. http://replays.admin-box.com/player/868791/. It would nice to have access to them as well. Actually, It would be nice to have access to other account so you can see other nicknames, or to list all of them for each account

4) I still think flag should be included cause that is a pain to look at it in the lobby. If you wanna check, that is doable anyway in the lobby, so I don't see the problem.
Plus you could make some nice stats involving countries and make some kind of country ranking or HoF for team game for example which would put some more dynamics and team play behavior in the team game community. Of course that is pure conjunctures :D

5) for people appearing everywhere in all HoF, just automatically enable their stats being showed accurate everywhere otherwise that is kinda hypocrite since they can be found in HoF and nowhere else. Other option would be to remove accurate stats in HoF (and also when msg SLDB but I guess I should ask that to bibim)

6) Allow user connected to vote and rank the replays from 1 to 10 to give an idea of how good it is so players wanted to watch some have some clue.
Maybe weigh the votes both by TS and ingame-time. They you can make a HoF of replay. Best would be to be able to grade the replay just after the game vote in spads but that is another story.

Cheers
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Hey Alba,

thank you for some good suggestions.
albator wrote:1) Colors like while yellow, etc are a pain to read for name. I suggest to make the color being inside a bounding box, the font color staying black
Ah yes... I'm also annoyed by that... but it's not so easy: what about a player with color black: black text in a black box? If anyone knows of an algorithm to detect dark and light colors (so the opposite can be used as text/box), please tell me...

I want to remodel the whole replay-page anyway, to get more space for the players, as I want to show the BA awards, etc. Then a color-box besides the players name could be the easiest solution. I'm just very occupied atm, and have given the website low priority.

https://github.com/dansan/spring-replay-site/issues/50
albator wrote:2) For player who belongs to HoF, give a spacial tag/rank/cups/icon, so you can see it in the replays.
Nice idea!
albator wrote:3) Some player have like 1000 games played but you can only see a few: e.g. http://replays.admin-box.com/player/868791/. It would nice to have access to them as well. Actually, It would be nice to have access to other account so you can see other nicknames, or to list all of them for each account .
Sorry - the site has moved to SLDB provided rank data, and that brings a certain privacy model.

The pro and con of multiple [smurf] accounts is a ongoing discussion in this community, and I don't feel I have the authority to make it obsolete. Furthermore I don't have the means - only bibim has the DB of smurfs.
albator wrote:4) I still think flag should be included cause that is a pain to look at it in the lobby. If you wanna check, that is doable anyway in the lobby, so I don't see the problem.
Plus you could make some nice stats involving countries and make some kind of country ranking or HoF for team game for example which would put some more dynamics and team play behavior in the team game community. Of course that is pure conjunctures :D
My personal political believes are anti-nationalistic. I will not put flags on a website if there is not a good reason. Comparison of nationalistic clans is the worst reason I can imagine.

I'd generally love to have a clan ladder though... you're right that it'd be good for community... should imo be game-agnostic -> https://github.com/dansan/spring-replay-site/issues/51
albator wrote:5) for people appearing everywhere in all HoF, just automatically enable their stats being showed accurate everywhere otherwise that is kinda hypocrite since they can be found in HoF and nowhere else. Other option would be to remove accurate stats in HoF (and also when msg SLDB but I guess I should ask that to bibim)
IMO you are right about this. As the values shown on the site are the values from SLDB, please discuss it with bibim or "the community" (bibim will listen). I think you're right, but again it's not my place to decide alone.
albator wrote:6) Allow user connected to vote and rank the replays from 1 to 10 to give an idea of how good it is so players wanted to watch some have some clue.
Maybe weigh the votes both by TS and ingame-time. They you can make a HoF of replay. Best would be to be able to grade the replay just after the game vote in spads but that is another story.
Wanted since almost a year: https://github.com/dansan/spring-replay-site/issues/37 ... will do when I have the time... should be an easy thing with some stars like on imdb :)
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

dansan wrote: I want to remodel the whole replay-page anyway, to get more space for the players, as I want to show the BA awards, etc. Then a color-box besides the players name could be the easiest solution. I'm just very occupied atm, and have given the website low priority.
The awards don't make any sense atm, so wouldn't implement that just yet.
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

albator wrote:3) Some player have like 1000 games played but you can only see a few: e.g. http://replays.admin-box.com/player/868791/.
You're right, showing detailed stats for users having privacyMode enabled isn't a good thing imo. Player stats should only be available to the player himself in this case, otherwise it's like showing the exact ratings, as these data allow identifying the player easily.
albator wrote:It would nice to have access to them as well. Actually, It would be nice to have access to other account so you can see other nicknames, or to list all of them for each account
This would basically make the privacyMode useless, and I think allowing privacy is important as long as it has no impact on balance quality (especially because we have no technical way to really disable privacy anyway, as players could always recreate accounts changing ip etc., so best is to allow them keeping privacy without impacting balance).

However, the default privacy mode could be changed so that privacy is disabled by default. The only prerequisite about that is to clearly warn the players about it long enough before the change happens, so that they can enable their privacyMode explicitly if not done yet.
albator wrote:5) for people appearing everywhere in all HoF, just automatically enable their stats being showed accurate everywhere otherwise that is kinda hypocrite since they can be found in HoF and nowhere else. Other option would be to remove accurate stats in HoF (and also when msg SLDB but I guess I should ask that to bibim)
Showing accurate stats for everyone in HoF is a deliberate choice, I don't really see the hypocrisy in that. Imo it's a good thing because players in top 20 shouldn't be ashamed of their ranking anyway, and it adds some competitive information for these players (allowing them to know how far they are from the next player above them etc.). Also, it doesn't really break privacy because as you explained it is the only place where their exact stats are shown, so you can't associate this HoF data for sure to the other accounts of the player.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

bibim wrote:
albator wrote:3) Some player have like 1000 games played but you can only see a few: e.g. http://replays.admin-box.com/player/868791/.
You're right, showing detailed stats for users having privacyMode enabled isn't a good thing imo.
Imo it's OK, because the win/loss ratio kind of explains the TS, without revealing the players identity. And the players performance identifies him as smurf anyway.
bibim wrote:Player stats should only be available to the player himself in this case, otherwise it's like showing the exact ratings, as these data allow identifying the player easily.
How would you do that? There is no search function to look for a specific win/loss count or ratio or any statistics.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I would like to have some more info on the replay site what the TS means and how it is calculated. Maybe post some text there from wikipedia? Possible?

Like, I would like to have more info of what is the default value and what are the ranges...

I guess the ranges are infinite, so where goes one standard deviation from the mean values...
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

TrueSkill values are calculated and stored on bibims bot "SLDB". You can chat with it in the lobby. Here is its release post: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p536811 Some of your questions might be answered on the following pages.

The TS algo was invented by Microsoft Research for balancing matches on the XBox network. Their white paper is here: https://research.microsoft.com/apps/pub ... x?id=67956

A very (!) nice article on TS is here: http://www.moserware.com/2010/03/comput ... skill.html

Return to “Infrastructure Development”