Lobby Autohosts, Spawning, and Moderation

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Lets look at this image for one moment

Proposed new Lobby Moderation Rule and Bot Optimization:

When all your Autohosts have players inside them, spawn a new autohost.

If number of autohosts with no players present >1 , kill an empty autohost and repeat.

At the moment this rule is not present, and we're stuck with TourneyBot1, TourneyBot2, TourneyBot3, TourneyBot4, TourneyBot5, TourneyBot6, TourneyBot7, TourneyBot8, etc..

These are all empty and serve no purpose beyond the initial empty autohost. Under the new rule, this should be considered spam. These instance increase the loading time of all clients, and the resources necessary to run the server.

Sure we could make an exception for different games, but the rule would still mean that we could remove about 80% of all the empty battles present.
smoth

Re: Lobby Autohosts, Spawning, and Moderation

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:If number of autohosts with no players present >1 , kill an empty autohost and repeat.[/i]
smoth wrote:I do think SOME of the autohosts need to go. There are 7 autohost for a tournament that isn't going on.

would be nice if there was some regulation on the server when there are 36 ba servers and only 9-10 are getting used.

i rather liked pxtl's suggestion that we instead have a find a game feature. That will create a spawn. Beyond that IMO there should be only 1 open autohost per game mode(chickens, regular, etc)
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

While I agree there are a few too many hosts; in fact the main problem is that there are too few players on each host(too spread out). Still, filtering is an option as stated in the last thread, so no need to go crazy on killing hosts.

Tourney bots were kept after the last tourney because there was a discussion and everybody said said let's keep them in case we want to play 1v1(at that time only spads0/spads1 were 1v1 and spads0 is a newbie host).
smoth

Post by smoth »

you can do a relay host if you want 1v1. Can all lobbies not access the relay hosts?
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Relay hosts are kinda shitty..
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

If number of autohosts with no players present >1 , kill an empty autohost and repeat.
This is what springies are doing for the good past year or more..

There are several "lines" of them. Each line maintains at least 1 free autohost, closes extra and makes new ones. And can be asked to "spawn" private one with password etc.

Afaik all non-BA autohosts are cloning springies hosted by one process on springrts.com
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You can still have just as many tourney bots, you just program to watch the ingame player counts of the other autohosts in their group with open battles. and make sure that there is always an open battle, but only 1 additional open battle. When people join that battle, open a new one.

This way there si always an empty autohost, but there isnt a whole lobbys worth of empty autohosts cluttering everything up.

No changes to the lobby or server necessary. Lobby autohosts should do this regardless of rules purely out of courtesy and efficiency
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

This is exactly what springie does..

But people jus tlike hosting their own autohost.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Licho wrote:This is exactly what springie does..

But people jus tlike hosting their own autohost.
For considerate development practices, you have gained a cookie ^_^
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

AF wrote: At the moment this rule is not present, and we're stuck with TourneyBot1, TourneyBot2, TourneyBot3, TourneyBot4, TourneyBot5, TourneyBot6, TourneyBot7, TourneyBot8, etc..
These are bots me and Zydox setup for the couple tourneys that happened a while back. I guess he just decided to keep them running as they were of little drain to the server. I'll use them again for the next tourney I host. I was gonna host one for tomorrow but there doesn't seem to be many 1v1 fans around in BA atm....
knorke

Post by knorke »

where can you get these autohost things anyway?
(if you do not want to run your computer 24/7)
and what can they do?
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

smoth wrote:you can do a relay host if you want to play. Can all lobbies not access the relay hosts?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Cheesecan wrote:Relay hosts are kinda shitty..
Only because they're all in fucking france.
knorke

Post by knorke »

france would be good, i often get fucking kangaroo relays. :shock:
but hosts in different areas are needed i guess so some autohosts should be kept for that?

where can you get these autohost things [for your game] anyway?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Aegis offered up his server to be a US based relay host, but of course, anyone who can do anything about it hasn't told him what he needs to do to set it up.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

Forboding Angel wrote:Aegis offered up his server to be a US based relay host, but of course, anyone who can do anything about it hasn't told him what he needs to do to set it up.
don't make stuff up when you don't know
there IS a relayhost there, but it's currently unusable due to a spring-dedicated bug
smoth

Post by smoth »

What is needed to clear said roadblock?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Jazcash wrote:
AF wrote: At the moment this rule is not present, and we're stuck with TourneyBot1, TourneyBot2, TourneyBot3, TourneyBot4, TourneyBot5, TourneyBot6, TourneyBot7, TourneyBot8, etc..
These are bots me and Zydox setup for the couple tourneys that happened a while back. I guess he just decided to keep them running as they were of little drain to the server. I'll use them again for the next tourney I host. I was gonna host one for tomorrow but there doesn't seem to be many 1v1 fans around in BA atm....
I doubt you used all eight even during your tourney.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Neddie wrote:
Jazcash wrote:
I doubt you used all eight even during your tourney.
We used about six, only because a few players were late to arrive. They were setup with the correct tourney maps and settings so they proved useful.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

BrainDamage wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:Aegis offered up his server to be a US based relay host, but of course, anyone who can do anything about it hasn't told him what he needs to do to set it up.
don't make stuff up when you don't know
there IS a relayhost there, but it's currently unusable due to a spring-dedicated bug
I'm not making up stuff. Weeks went by. Apparently it was eventually set up.

Return to “Infrastructure Development”