Journeywar - Page 5

Journeywar

PicassoCT's stunning mixture of game design and psychedelia, for your enjoyment!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Journeywar

Post by PicassoCT »

Well, here we have the LowE Powerplantation of the Journeyman, its a giant tropical Forrest Tree and you are supposed to spam them en masse outside of your base, because they need place. The very same modell is also needed for the Potemkinplant, a Non-Purpose Building having the same amount of Hitpoints, but which is very, very cheap to errect. So If you have a forrest of those on autobuild, and the enemy starts to shoot them - they loose e&M which supply ammonution, and maybee they will run out, the moment, they encounter real trouble, like your army. So you can starve the enemy to death by keeping him fighting your powerplantation and/or its simulation. There are four diffrent version of trees for a little variation.

Watch out its a trap...
Thousand of little spiders living in the tree crown can trap any vehicle driving through, not damaging it but they are able to drag it up into the treecrown, and hide it there- till game ends or traptree is destroyed, and everything without warning sound or visible animation or vannishing of radarblib into enemy blib. Trap can eat three Tanks.
Evil Thing, is they still count as units, so you can count from your maxunits -3, and see were this gets you in decisive battles, when a whole convoy got lost in the woods. Win by guerillia and starvation at its finest. Destroying that tree doesent get the CentrAIl its tanks back, they belong to spiderman foreva.

PS: Six Posts in a row, beat that combo..
Attachments
fukinMetal.jpg
(496.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
paintStill.jpeg
(141.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screen00095.png
(1.75 MiB) Not downloaded yet
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I haz a question, if i make a Oceanbuilding, that has a huge amount of underwaterstructure lap over its hit conezone, and if i dont worry about subs driving through or the tendrils intersecting with islands, that whole icebergbuisnessthing does not invoke further trouble, does it?
Attachments
20170417_011008_HDR.jpg
(4.4 MiB) Not downloaded yet
mc2_minelayer.png
mc2_minelayer.png (13.24 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
InfinitysCraddle.jpg
(342.16 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by PicassoCT on 19 Nov 2010, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

nick fits u perfectly ;P
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Got it customtailored on my skin by chris, my tailor from panama, not everybody has a nick that fits that well, although, to be honest, if i ever want to settle down, the fabric incises on my testosteronvehicles. Therefor, no rest for the fashion victim :)

Journeymann M&E Storage, can walk, has great capacitys and is well armoured, but can chainreact over large distances (connected by transferroots) with other storages, so set one up, and the chainexplosion will destroy your whole ressources if you mess bessbuilding up. The Chainreactionfactor dissappears, when the Storage is in walkmode- were you can use it as a sort of very slow walking Nuke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VSxovAJ4fI

Infinitys Craddle, were all the spaceships of the Journeyman decend from, which are:
Mother of God
Sunship
Carrier
Recycler

Also made my mind up, on how the units of the journeyman shall sound- came up with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6tB2KiZuk
Lets asume i give every unit one short hum of the pentatonic scale, so by varying unit combinations, you can create little compositions while ingame? Of course this brings along new difficulties, for example to guarantee the tact, and that those sounds dont nois through each other. But it will work out.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Watchbird, basically a Airborn watchtower, as long as there is energy it will circle in stealthmode, meaning it is indisguisable from other birds.

Isnt it funny how sometimes the most simplistic things turn out to be a pain in the ass? For example, one of the journeymans traps is going to be a well hidden mud pool, basically slow quicksand, that takes its time to swallow a unit, therefore allowing it to take part in a battle- but how to represent such a thing graphically? Mud is mud, meaning colour should be depending on groundtexture, and what then? Warning Signs?
How about reed? Fog? What do you see from a swamp besides the fact that you suddenly seem to shrink in relation to the flat landscape and there is this gargling sound at your feet?
Ideas and suggestions would be cool.

http://sherritalley.com/wp-content/uplo ... /swamp.jpg found this very promising, this and the idea, of just a little bit of mirroring water, glimpsing through what on the first view could go through as another piece of grassland.Image

Enter PANDA:
Wait a second, i live nearby in the south, i can claim copyright to that sort of nature, dont you dare Picasso to infringe on my EverydayEnviromentalProperty.
Attachments
swamp-large (1).jpg
(196.8 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by PicassoCT on 19 Nov 2010, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

warning signs for the owner, for the enemy, just use slow map deformation (no other graphics)?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

sort of a holographic - keep your distance, floating above? But no other graphicks? What about the dagobardrama? And terraforming, i dont know, its a swamp, they stay flat most of the time, beeing a body of muddy water, even quicksand does stay boringly flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yMYxwtvIQE

How about this? Warning sign included..

Forgot to mention this, once a unit is caught and sinks, this trap can be driven over - sort of ferryman payment.

2version: Hoji how do you ment slow map deformation? Sort of a wave going through the ground, like a slowmotion ripple?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Worked on the Wallbuilder, more tomorrow
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i though, using slow map deformation could save you some lua coding, and possible problems cause units are not allowed to be (partially) submerged and stuff like that. graphics wise, it would be wrong of course.. maybe you can just overlay the mud graphics, so it still looks like even ground, even though there is a hole. not that i ever did unit scripts ;-)
scifi

Post by scifi »

heh picasso style ideas id say :D

but do you plan to make this into spring :?:

cause it seams all these spetial powered flowers and nature like beings, and its abilities are hard to code in lua.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I know what you mean, all those special powerbuttons, sounds like hell, aint it? But there is a lot of stuff in it, that only spring can do, only not so visible at first glance.

Wallbuilder, builds wall, charges them, works fine as a sort of slow guard tower and local border fort.
Attachments
wallbuilder.jpg
(182.31 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by PicassoCT on 19 Nov 2010, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

CentrAIl- Virtual Temptress.

Well, she hugs the enemys, and by inserting some drugs, implating certain implants, immersing those stunned creatures in various realitys coaxes the enemy into revealing things (aka expands her radar range).

2nd version, is moar like i planted it.. although not textured as always

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Well, Centrail Unit, Antimatter Projector, sort of short range shotgun approach, and basically its two teleportation units on wheels, connected to some god forsaken moon, covered with particle colliders, and a sort of intergalactic teleportation station, leading to the barrels of this weapon. Everything else doesent matter.

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Safarisniper: represents how the CentrAIl- Civilsation doesent take this war serious- they use the big beast for hunting
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

The most expensive thing to invest into a game is time, so the more time you put into a game the higher the values inside it become to you. Your FF-Broadsword of the Heavens is more valuable in your mind then a tetris stone. So there is a dilema in every Multiplayer Strategy game. You invest time into the game, and the outcome may very well be a heavy dissapointment, you loose. Notice, how all games in the earlier past try to reduce this loose effect? Shooters in which you dont have to search for medipacs anymoar, you regenerate, you cant die anymore, you instantly return to the point you died, there is autoaim everywhere, cheats and ingame little helpers mix in a greyzone that is supposed to draw the masses towards the game. Multiplayer is excluded, and once you are successfull, you can even torture the players as long as you keep them entertained (counterstrike waiting time basically turns your pc into a tv for 2 mins)

Would it be possible, to create a Multiplayer-RTS so overcharged with helpers, and tools and simplicity, that noobody could loose it, while still simulating success even to the most lousyst of players? Because this is what spring lacks, a game were the noob can not lose. Were he can try out, and not be punished for his phail? Just thinkin aloud
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Journeyman: Predator

Is a Fire & Forget Unit of the Journeyman, you guide them out into the wilderness, designate there territory, hit the "IntotheWild" button, and this guy will automatically harass CentrAIl-Units coming into his territory, or any unit at all, hunting everything down, hiding from superior force, fighting other predators who move there territory while hidding. He is fast, he is strong, he is slowly while reloading and his aimrange is short.

The Predator has the abbility to distort the pathfinding of a single unit in a crowd, so that it will instead of following its orders, start searching for the pred abroad, leaving behind its friends. A Predator gathers experience, becoming more valueable& dangerous over time.

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

No Mr. GreekBond, i expect you to die
http://www.vanityfair.com/business/feat ... ntPage=all

America having the same problem that Germany has, shrinking citys, and how to avoid the phenomena of a ghost/ghetto town gnawing on the remaining core of the city
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas ... ?page=full
Last edited by PicassoCT on 08 Sep 2010, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

PicassoCT wrote:ingame little helpers
In KP4.1 I upgraded my automatic tips dispenser to read alout the constant stream of tips.

PicassoCT wrote:Because this is what spring lacks, a game were the noob can not lose. Were he can try out, and not be punished for his phail? Just thinkin aloud
That is what "Fair KPAI" aimed to be: An AI that noob cannot lose against, yet put up a nice fight no matter the level of the player. Well, technically you can still ctrl D all your units, or be unlucky and lose your kernel some way, but the AI is set to never build much more than you have.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

described features come close, but still zwzsg, in both games you can loose, although i will admit, that the "god damn it- i invested hours into getting this far" effect doesnt impact in Kernel Panic. So it is actually the most noob friendly game in the spring-family, and if there was a mandatory tutorial, it should be with that mod.

Also: Yes, im a little stuck in the Journeywar, the Journeyman, well they have not the slightest thing in common- thats the main problem. Every Faction should have something to connect it, may it be size, curves, texture, but this faction, well it should have looked like a collection of "Most dangerous beast in three galaxys" and there is nothing in comon between them, and that is a problem, yet to be solved. There has to be more then teamcolour to satisfy me.
Attachments
tiglil.zip
(135.02 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

To make a RTS where no n00b can ever lose:
1) In single player, make a mission where the AI never attack the heart of your base.
2) In multiplayer, have only coop, and see 1).

If, in addition to never losing, you also want any n00b to always win:
- Add an allied AI set to slowly build up and crush the enemies.
Attachments
screen00046.png
(2.34 MiB) Not downloaded yet
screen00045.png
(1.93 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Journeywar”