Want to start a project? Here is where you need to start. - Page 2

Want to start a project? Here is where you need to start.

Resources to get you going on your new project, or to help you over some emergent problems during your development cycle.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

hawkki wrote:Could anyone tell me a page that defines all the syntaxes used in weapons.tdf, explosions.tdf and similar ?

thanks.
as far as the weapons tdf that is covered in the wiki link. Explosions.tdf is covered in the wiki but it is outdated. The main thing is that the explosions are largely incomplete. I can give you a few examples should you need them but in all honesty the current system need more work before one can achive a good explosion.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Gnome did you mean frame per second :shock:
antiCamper

Post by antiCamper »

Unit limits: I.E. you can only have 3 of one unit and 4 of another.
Food count: A unit takes up X food item and populations are limited by food count.
Unit metamorphosis: a unit at a cost can upgrade and transform into another unit.
Melee weapons: There are some hackish(read not worth doing) ways of having this but they are not in the game.

sad :cry:
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Necromancy...
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

not really cuz this is a sticky..
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Smoth wrote:How can I make my mod show up in multiplayer?
You will need a mod.tdf
I'm not sure, but isn't it modinfo.tdf?
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

I'm wondering if it could be possible to make a bunker the same way the old nanotowers worked, combined with the new ability to shoot from a transport.... :)

TRANSPORTABLE CARGO PODS, WITH BUNKER FEATURE...

Could be cool for these mods where you're assaulting from orbit kinda thing. Dropship drops the pod off and flies off. Crap inside shoots out, then GTFOs before it explodes...
Gundam

Post by Gundam »

Unit limits: I.E. you can only have 3 of one unit and 4 of another.
Food count: A unit takes up X food item and populations are limited by food count.
Unit metamorphosis: a unit at a cost can upgrade and transform into another unit.
Melee weapons: There are some hackish(read not worth doing) ways of having this but they are not in the game.

sad
sad ?... its killing me..... all the way learning this and those.. just hoping my transformable unit can be implemented in an 3D RTS game... oh.. i hope the spring "genius" maker can make this happen... please....

and btw Supcom didnt include the JumpJet.. ! aaaarrrgghh..... :cry:
rcdraco

Ummmmmm

Post by rcdraco »

Spring supports unit limits now

And as far as I know transform works, just tht it has to be costless I believe an on/off button and can't turn into like ground to flight, but I don't know about the last one, but it was done before in TAUCP a tank with 2 different weapons from transforming
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

There is no real transforming, it has to be scripted. The unit model has to include all model parts to be used as well. Also since it's being scripted it doesn't have to be bound to the on/off button, it can be based on health, experience, certain amount of time, after a weapon has been shot etc.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Three things in the list of stuff that 'Spring Cannot Do' are now possible

Bunkers are now possible. Immobile transport that looks like a bunker, and with the friendly fire tags and isfirebase=1; units can shoot out of them too

Unit metamorphosis: new models, more health, shields, radar, movement speeds and new weapons can be scripted to appear when units reach certain levels of experience, or, infact, be tied to any function (so you have an amphibious tank whose turret is replaced with anti-sub/sea unit weapons when underwater, for example)

Unit Limits
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Guessmyname wrote:isfirebase=1;
Is that not isfireplatform=1;
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I'm quite certain it's firebase
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

The code is always right:

Code: Select all

ud.isfireplatform=!!atoi(tdfparser.SGetValueDef("0", "UNITINFO\\isfireplatform").c_str());
smoth

Post by smoth »

darn it, I was all excited... and it was just people talking about my forgotten patch :(.

That sucks.
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

I'd just like to thank smoth and whoever wrote the wiki articles for their great work. It only took me an hour of reading and I was happily modding away. Of course, I didn't do any modeling or scripting (so basically just editing values. yeah, i'm cheap), but still: without the guides it would have taken me a hell of a lot longer to learn this. Much appreciated!
smoth

Post by smoth »

I didn't write the wiki articles, they are kind of an amalgam of effort. I only wrote a few things in it and wrote the first post of this thread.
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

Thats why I thanked you and the people who did the wiki. ;)

Anyway, it was this first post that even gave me the idea that I could implement my crazy idea for a mod. So yeah.
smoth

Post by smoth »

lol, well thanks accepted. Good luck with your madness mod.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

The list of 'Stuff Spring can't do' needs updating, now that we have LUA and that

Return to “Game Development Tutorials & Resources”