Current release unit epxerience system?

Resources to get you going on your new project, or to help you over some emergent problems during your development cycle.

Moderator: Moderators

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Back in the day spring had a similar unit experience system as seen in TA; ie: with kills a unit get tougher, maybe even more effective weapons? Anyways some versions of spring i remember some config settings for it, and then maybe it was turned off entirely and possibly scrapped?

My question is there any system in place in the current version or has this been completely scrapped and now games rely on lua game gadgets to implement such systems?

if there is still a reminent system somewhere is there documentation on it?
gajop

Re: Current release unit epxerience system?

Post by gajop »

I would recommend simply ignoring the engine implementation if there still is any.
It shouldn't be too hard to do it yourself in Lua, and you definitely have more power that way.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Engine system supports scaling health and reload;

https://springrts.com/wiki/Modrules.lua#experience

Indeed you can do much more with a lua based system, but may be sufficient for your needs (or use both in conjunction)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Raaar has a neat upgrade system in Metal Factions.

With evo I opted for basedefs and morphing which has turned out to be extremely scalable, as I use a simple cutsomparam flag in the unitdef to determine upgrade level and then handle all upgrades in post. It's a simplistic system but it's really powerful.

MCL uses a custom LUA system afaik.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

MCL units accrue XP through the engine system but that is acted upon by the lua perking system (though probably there is the engine-backed reload & HP XP changes too don't recall disabling them) which does stuff like increased range of sensors, jumpjets, better cooling rate on the weapons. Anything that sets unit or weapon attributes directly or ties in to another lua gadget.

https://github.com/SpringMCLegacy/Sprin ... _perks.lua

https://github.com/SpringMCLegacy/Sprin ... k_defs.lua
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

My issue with engine experience is that it does not scale properly from weapon to weapon. Specifically when it comes to lower powered units with beam lasers.

Return to “Game Development Tutorials & Resources”