kamikazi aircraft?

kamikazi aircraft?

Resources to get you going on your new project, or to help you over some emergent problems during your development cycle.

Moderator: Moderators

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

kamikazi aircraft?

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Its been awhile.... I've been tinkering with some stuff but its all based on some old version of the game, like years ago old.

Has any one for any game/ mod made a working kamikazi aircraft with lua magic or new engine crap? I remember there was a cruise missile that was an actual aircraft and that seemed to work fine, but I think it remote controlled the entire unit via lua move ctrl and made it difficult to exist as a command able aircraft that later gets a kamikazi attack command.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: kamikazi aircraft?

Post by Forboding Angel »

set aircraft to kamikaze, set kamikaze distance greater than weapon range, profit?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

bobthedinosaur wrote:I remember there was a cruise missile that was an actual aircraft and that seemed to work fine, but I think it remote controlled the entire unit via lua move ctrl and made it difficult to exist as a command able aircraft that later gets a kamikazi attack command.
This is the german V1 in S44.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

This sounds quite doable without resorting to moveCtrl. Cruise altitude is controllable via lua if you want your aircraft to suddenly dive into their target. Fighter aircraft naturally dive at their target.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Yeah, that's what I was getting at... Put 2 weapons on it, one of them being one that is invisible and doesn't do anything, with a range slightly less than kamikaze range and boom, you have your kamikaze airplane that dives at ground targets.

Evo bombers used to use fighters so that dive bombing was a thing
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Forboding Angel wrote:Yeah, that's what I was getting at... Put 2 weapons on it, one of them being one that is invisible and doesn't do anything, with a range slightly less than kamikaze range and boom, you have your kamikaze airplane that dives at ground targets.
what if the aircraft already has other weapons (like air to ground rockets or cannons) and the kamikaze dive was a specialized attack?

I guess i could 0 the range for all the weapons when engaged and also drop the altitude?

------------------------
on a similar note really, but not pertaining to the aircraft behavior, could I make a dynamic kamikaze damage so that the unit that is sacrificing itself does damage proportional to its health? ie a low hp kamikaze is not as effective as a full hp one?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Probably the best solution is to catch in lua when the aircraft has an attack target for its kamikaze weapon and only then invoke MoveCtrl etc. Dynamically changing cruise altitude could work, but it whether it reacts quickly enough or will need a second pass depends on the situation and the aircrafts movement stats.

More comical solution would be to have the aircraft fire a huge MissileLauncher projectile at the target and then self destruct itself mid-flight with smoke and fireball.
could I make a dynamic kamikaze damage so that the unit that is sacrificing itself does damage proportional to its health?
Yep, Spring.GetUnitHealth, gadget:UnitPreDamaged

Return to “Game Development Tutorials & Resources”