Code to check your movdefs. - Page 2

Code to check your movdefs.

Resources to get you going on your new project, or to help you over some emergent problems during your development cycle.

Moderator: Moderators

8611
XTA Developer
Posts: 242
Joined: 29 Dec 2014, 08:22

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by 8611 » 13 Apr 2015, 14:16

after engine changes to movedefs: outdated
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22297
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by smoth » 13 Apr 2015, 14:35

Could you point out the issues you noticed and I can fix them please?
0 x

8611
XTA Developer
Posts: 242
Joined: 29 Dec 2014, 08:22

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by 8611 » 13 Apr 2015, 15:09

in start post wrote:Q: does this work for BA?
A: dunno and don't care.
Gives not much faith if it is not even sure to work with the major mod.
this thread in 2012 wrote:I guess with changes to depthmod in 86.0, this needs updating?
No update happend and you "felt like it was no longer cared about."
That seems to have been correct thought because in the three years since then nobody bothered with it.
Little motivation to spend more effort on this because it does not interesst me. Read changelogs, compare to wiki, test it.
0 x

gajop
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:42

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by gajop » 13 Apr 2015, 15:12

I agree with you on most other posts, but in this case I don't. If you claim that something is outdated, the burden on proof lies with you.
0 x

8611
XTA Developer
Posts: 242
Joined: 29 Dec 2014, 08:22

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by 8611 » 13 Apr 2015, 15:28

gajop wrote:I agree with you on most other posts, but in this case I don't. If you claim that something is outdated, the burned on proof lies with you.
I already mentioned two things.
That is probally not complete but enough to know that it is outdated. I see no reason to get into more detail when the reply already showed disinterest.

The change of depthmod is imo obviously when looking at https://springrts.com/wiki/Movedefs.lua
Pre spring 86.0 it was one variable, afterwards it become a table with several variables.
In the .zip from this thread it still says: "depthmod = 0.1", so it is not a table there.
Wrt Balanced Annhilation the thread says "dont care if it works", so that would be something to address too.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22297
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by smoth » 13 Apr 2015, 17:16

I asked you nicely to tell me some of the issues. I even said please. I can address the new table, no biggie.

the BA thing how long ago was that, how is it still relevant?

Rather than have a week of back and forth, I would help if you could give me a list of REAL concerns(the BA thing is irrelevant). I have at least the depth mod thing.

beggars can't be choosers, but you resurrected an old thread, the onus is on you. Everyone else would just use common sense and realize there is some bitrott in any old code. At the time I wrote this, people ran it, issues that had been ignored for years were resolved. I can update this and was showing earnest interest. Your assumption was unjustified.
0 x

8611
XTA Developer
Posts: 242
Joined: 29 Dec 2014, 08:22

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by 8611 » 13 Apr 2015, 18:24

A misunderstanding:
This is not some random resurected thread.
This is listed as "Tutorial & Resource" and it is wrong. I posted so that fictional newbies do not get confused by it.
On wiki it would just get deleted.

After some time anything that uses *def tags after can be assumed to be broken because those things always slowly change in spring.
Anyone who wants to say otherwise has to test/prove it.
(Especially if it is a test-script that is suppossed to detect broken things!)
Rather than have a week of back and forth, I would help if you could give me a list of REAL concerns
Excactly, that would be no use.
"engine changes to movedefs" and depthmod-tag example are either enough as starting point, or not.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22297
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by smoth » 13 Apr 2015, 19:28

8611 wrote:A misunderstanding:
This is not some random resurrected thread.
This is listed as "Tutorial & Resource" and it is wrong. I posted so that fictional newbies do not get confused by it.
On wiki it would just get deleted.

so you want it to be deleted instead of lingering around where someone could choose to update it?
It is STILL a resource, just needs to be updated, which isn't a terribly difficult task.
So why would it be deleted from the wiki instead of just being marked as out of date? If you just go deleting things because they are out of date... FOR FICTIONAL PEOPLE then what is the point of any of this? It should stay, it was a dead thread 3 years old but could be found by searching the forum. If someone found it and wanted to update it, the code is PD. I would not have stopped them.
8611 wrote:After some time anything that uses *def tags after can be assumed to be broken because those things always slowly change in spring.
Anyone who wants to say otherwise has to test/prove it.
(Especially if it is a test-script that is supposed to detect broken things!)
yes. because it is open source available for anyone to update it as needed. That makes it a resource.
8611 wrote:
Rather than have a week of back and forth, I would help if you could give me a list of REAL concerns
Excactly, that would be no use.
"engine changes to movedefs" and depthmod-tag example are either enough as starting point, or not.

hang on a second here, so because I put something out there, you feel it should be maintained indefinitely or deleted? I am so happy I posted this on the forum instead of leaving it on the wiki where someone like you could delete code that is merely a minor update away from working again.

"THEN UPDATE IT"

How about this, you fly your ass over here and take care of all my IRL priorites and I will go update all my old projects with dust on them.
0 x

8611
XTA Developer
Posts: 242
Joined: 29 Dec 2014, 08:22

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by 8611 » 13 Apr 2015, 19:59

smoth wrote: It should stay, it was a dead thread 3 years old but could be found by searching the forum.
If it was like that then would be no problem: Just another thread among many with fail and outdated stuff.
But it is not hidden away, at top of the "Games Development" forum ( viewforum.php?f=14 ) there is a box that reads: Game Development Tutorials & Resources
So why would it be deleted from the wiki instead of just being marked as out of date? If you just go deleting things because they are out of date... FOR FICTIONAL PEOPLE then what is the point of any of this?
A link to this thread on the wiki would (or should) be deleted because:
-thing is outdated
-thing has more problems
-thing is badly written
-There are hundreds of similiar things and threads:
If every thing was be listed, no matter its quality or use, then lists of things would be total clutter.

On the forum there is no way to mark things as outdated, except by posting a warning.
More efficient would be to move the thread out of this subforum.
Or better, since every thread in this subforum shares the same problems, remove the whole subforum.
merely a minor update away from working again.
Image
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22297
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by smoth » 13 Apr 2015, 20:12

I don't feel I agree. Again, this is a resource. In your logic, the subforum should not exist because eventually everything here will be out of date in time.

in the wiki it should not be deleted but maybe split the page to where some of the older out of date resources are still linked. That way if someone sees something that interests him, he doesn't have to start from scratch he can build from existing code.

badly written. This is another issue I have with your attitude. Badly written is better than not at all. At least it exists, seldom do you come in and really give a code review or help people to teach them. instead you either just come in, call something garbage and leave or just post a new version. I am not going to dig up links I am not an archivist like you. Even myself, there are things I think are badly written because I see them as poor when it comes to code readability(spLONGASSEDFUNCTION NAME vs spring.LONGASSEDFUNCTION). Even still an example is better than none at all. Again, this is open source I worked a long time on my map options code, was even doing a revision. JK takes it and produces blueprint, adding features and stuff, he ignored my code, and did his from scratch. My code was helpful to him because I had looked up a bunch of crap that helped him(according to him).

So saying that old unmaintained code, code with problems or even badly written code is not a resource is bull patties.
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14585
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by Forboding Angel » 13 Apr 2015, 21:54

I have used this for years and find it quite useful
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22297
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Code to check your movdefs.

Post by smoth » 13 Apr 2015, 21:57

It should not be too hard to take the thing and update it for the new tags. IIRC the tags came out (in my mind) not long after this thing was done. I am happy they were added, I just didn't update for them. It would be good to go and do that.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Game Development Tutorials & Resources”