Spring Mod Maker - Updated!

Resources to get you going on your new project, or to help you over some emergent problems during your development cycle.

Moderator: Moderators

Tsuyosa

Post by Tsuyosa »

The spring mod maker is a program that makes the creating of mods for the spring a lot easier. If you don't know the game stop reading this help and start playing spring!

Editing a mod for spring is generally easy to do. Which makes a lot of existing mods messy and full of stuff from other mods they don't use. Also from my own experience I noticed that keeping a clear overview of a mod is just very hard, especially off course on the bigger projects.

Spring mod maker gives you the opportunity to keep that overview, without losing the flexibility of writing your mod file by file. If you dislike the standard layout the spring mod maker contains...just change it!

More information is provided in the help I have written for the program. Although itÔÇÖs far from complete (IÔÇÖm not a big writer)

Download here

I hope my tool will be useful to some people. And if not, at least I had fun and learned a lot while creating it.

Features:
ÔÇó You can have multiple projects open
ÔÇó You can change the mod layout fully, you are not restricted to any hardcoded build options
ÔÇó Create and use wizards

Todo list:
ÔÇó Better help documentation
ÔÇó Better yardmap compiling
ÔÇó Fix label order bug in object view
ÔÇó Make it possible to compile sd7 files
ÔÇó Make debug functionality
ÔÇó (MAYBE) split modlayout in multiple files
Of course the amount of work we will put in the program will depend on how it will be received in the spring community.
For any additional bugs or things you want to tell us, you can contact us at: springmodmaker@gmail.com

Anyway, enjoy!

Tsu.
Attachments
Spring mod maker3.JPG
(174.95 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Spring mod maker2.JPG
(135.93 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Spring mod maker1.JPG
(36.26 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Last edited by Tsuyosa on 08 Jun 2009, 19:17, edited 5 times in total.
[Krogoth86]

Re: Spring Mod Maker

Post by [Krogoth86] »

This sure is an interesting project! I might give it a try later. In general it would be nice to have sort of an editor which features all the tags you can assign so you don't miss new stuff you didn't realize was integrated or can delete tags the engine doesn't use anymore...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Tsuyosa wrote:the game TA spring
Baawww!

What does it do exactly? Is it just a fbi editor? What are its limitation?
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Looks great, really interesting, does it work with .lua files or just .fbi/.tdf?
Tsuyosa

Post by Tsuyosa »

As you can see in the last screenshot, every object's properties can be changed and added/deleted if you want.
This also counts for the code (next tab in screenshot), download the program if you wanne check it out!
Therefore you can make it for fbi, lua or any kind of format you can think of. The modlayout that is downloaded with this program makes it for fbi though. But feel free to change it for lua if you like!

Tsu.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Fucking awesome.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Hrrm looks like it would require significant effort to get it working with .lua unitdefs (different syntax, weapon and corpse files files in the unit file, customparams etc).

Few spelling errors: Gravity, not Gravety. Upright, not 'Up Right'.

Still cool though. As zwzsg points out though its just 'Spring' or 'SpringRTS' not 'TASpring' (which is what it was called when it was only being made to run OTA content). I see you included an OTA destroyer model? If you want to be IP free and come with a demonstration model, you're free to use this guy, ofc:

WIE's origional textures here.

Object here.

.bos script here and .cob here.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

aww my lil robot icon looks so cute <3
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Is there any way to import data from a current mod?

Does it support .s3o...?

I suppose it really is 'TA' spring mod maker, since:
depend1 = otacontent.sdz;
depend2 = tatextures.sdz;
are defaults and there appears to be no way to even add third party .3do textures?

Thats okay i guess if this really is just a TA-mod editor. The ability to edit it with ModLayout seems pretty robust though so perhaps these features can be added relatively easily, which is cool.
Tsuyosa

Post by Tsuyosa »

Saktoth wrote:Hrrm looks like it would require significant effort to get it working with .lua unitdefs (different syntax, weapon and corpse files files in the unit file, customparams etc).
There is a "Auto Generate Code" button in the script tab which you can use for lua. I might make more options for generating code, so far it only makes lua, because that was what i wanted to include when i started the project. Although my lack of lua experience made me convert to fbi files instead.
Saktoth wrote: Few spelling errors: Gravity, not Gravety. Upright, not 'Up Right'.
Thanks i appreciate you being so thorough on that, ill try to keep track of all bugs/spelling mistakes and change fix them in later versions
Tsuyosa

Post by Tsuyosa »

Saktoth wrote:Is there any way to import data from a current mod?

Does it support .s3o...?

I suppose it really is 'TA' spring mod maker, since:
depend1 = otacontent.sdz;
depend2 = tatextures.sdz;
are defaults and there appears to be no way to even add third party .3do textures?

Thats okay i guess if this really is just a TA-mod editor. The ability to edit it with ModLayout seems pretty robust though so perhaps these features can be added relatively easily, which is cool.
It supports whatever you want it to support. I didn't really understand the dependencies etc, so i put them in like that. Offcourse you could simply add a new property in a label which allows copying (like weapons in unit). As i said before, the modlayout is far from complete, i focused more on the program, the modders can make it pretty and flawless
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Added .s3o texture support but i cant upload the changed part of modlayout because its not plaintext, tell me if you want the modlayout.bin for that (its a trivial change though). Tried to add multiple dependency support but it crashed. :(

Replicable crashes in ModLayout:

Change the 'Type' of a Parent Object to 'File' or 'Object' (from 'empty parent'- only an idiot would do this ofc :oops:).

Press 'move selected code line forward' in 'script'.
Tsuyosa

Post by Tsuyosa »

Saktoth wrote:Added .s3o texture support but i cant upload the changed part of modlayout because its not plaintext, tell me if you want the modlayout.bin for that (its a trivial change though). Tried to add multiple dependency support but it crashed. :(

Replicable crashes in ModLayout:

Change the 'Type' of a Parent Object to 'File' or 'Object' (from 'empty parent'- only an idiot would do this ofc :oops:).

Press 'move selected code line forward' in 'script'.
Hmm, can't seem to reproduce that bug, though i noticed another error, the codeline is not refreshed for the object you changed, i will fix that!

Also i see your point, i think i need to come up with a modlayout that allows partly changes, so anyone can contribute to it.

Any surgestions on how to do it?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Sticky! For great justice!
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Nice project!

Where are the source codes? Are they in some public repository?
Tsuyosa

Post by Tsuyosa »

Licho wrote:Nice project!

Where are the source codes? Are they in some public repository?
Nope, the world is not ready for these kinds of advancements
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Well you just released it! When its ready for public sure its ready for coders :)

Is it open source? Are we allowed to modify/upgrade it?
Tsuyosa

Post by Tsuyosa »

Licho wrote:Well you just released it! When its ready for public sure its ready for coders :)

Is it open source? Are we allowed to modify/upgrade it?
Hmm sorry, we would like to hang on to the source ourselves for now. Maybe in time we will reconsider those thoughts
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

So why posting it in development?
Who is we?
Also, are you aware that anyone can easilly obtain full source code from the exe alone using tool like reflector? Its .net..
daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

you saved battlestar galactica! tx

Return to “Game Development Tutorials & Resources”