Playtest games - postponed for the moment!

Flexible tactical mechanized warfare of the future, spearheaded by role-differentiated Engines Of War!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Edit: No playtest games atm, sorry!
[/b] ---------
Download Instructions:
To play you will need three files - the map (Busan.sd7), the game file (EnginesofWar-alpha.sd7) and the LUPS file (LUPS_MODULE.sdz). The last two go in your Spring/games/ (or Spring/mods/ ) folder.
---------
As stated in our official Game Announcement Thread, there will be regular playtest games each Sunday at 17:00 19:00 UTC. The version to be played will be uploaded at latest on the day before, ie Saturday - I'll be posting here to say when it's up.

As a disclaimer, I'd like to point out that while of course we'll be playing, the character of the games is certainly going to lean towards working out what's broken, and what most needs changing. (Though I can remember that the one playtest we did - with bob, MidKnight, Alter and me way back yonder (on a somewhat different game version) was pretty fun actually :-).

We'll be doing this as long as we get new versions out that are worth testing (but I think we'll manage to do that at least the next few weeks).

Oh, and of course, if there's anyone from the "new world" / western hemisphere who would like to join us, but for whom the time is a bit early: complain here, and of course we'll consider changing the time to a later one. -- Pushed back by 2 hours now.

Re: Playtest games - every Sunday

Post by 11041 »

how long to test sessions last? since youll be starting 6am Monday for me, i might be able to join in a couple of hours later.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Sorry bout the late answer. Last time we played, it was only one round - about 30 minutes maybe. All the relevant bugs and issues were already noted by then, so we didn't bother doing another game.
This time round though, I think the game will already run a good bit better, so me might play a few - then again, maybe not...
A different suggestion - just because your not from the Americas didn't mean I wanted to exclude you from appealing for a later time :D. As this Sunday is not too far off, I think I'd stick to the current time for then. But we could push back next weeks game by an hour or two (and all the games following that). Would that be enough for you to join in, or still too early ?
Echo419

Post by Echo419 »

2 hours later, so 8am monday is awesome for me.

Ill see what i can do for this weeks session though, i woudlnt mind getting into the fray a little

EDIT: it would appear my home pc still remembers my old account. id forgotten i had.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Latest Version is up (see first post)! As stated, we'll be playing that tomorrow. Time is still 17:00 UTC this week. (I'll ask round tomorrow if people are good with later, and if yes we'll be going for 19:00 (UTC) on the 20th / next week.

Edit: Changelog in a new "weekly release" thread.
One thing I can say briefly- (despite my previous arguments to the contrary :P), the Engines are now a good deal more powerful than last version(s). They're probably going to be weakened again (or perhaps towers made stronger), but we'd previously been mistaken regarding damage increases with levels, so this is just a first shot at that.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

T minus 4h 26min and counting.

(bump)
Agon

Post by Agon »

Is the enginesofwar channel in the lobby deprecated or why I am the only one there with the ChanServ bot?
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Me and Alter are not usually in the lobby in general - and thus not in the channel. The MOTD needs updating, but the channel is in use - I'm there now.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Quick after action report - we got started about a half hour late, and had a whole of three games in succession :). We were finished at 20:00 UTC I think (so after ~ 2 hours of playing, if you subtract the breaks. And I was knackered by then, else I'd have written something here yesterday).
By all means, I thought it was a very successful set of tests, and I thank all those that joined us (quite a few spontaneous joiners out of the lobby - our SVN download was not really equipped to handle that... We'll have up a more load bearing setup by next week). Needless to say, there's still loads of bugs to quash, some balance changes, and plenty of cleanup to be done.

I might add a little more later on, for now I'd just like to copy Oksnoops feedback (from other thread) into the post below.

Edit: almost forgot - for the benefit of our trans-atlantic friends and other non~GMT people, the next test game (and all those following, until I hear protest) will be at 19:00 UTC ( that's on the 20th).

[@Picasso, that's 20:00 in Germany :P]

edit: deleted the next post by me, moved oksnoop quote to Feedback thread
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Just for the note, i find it suprising how many games of not *A you can get in the lobby. Good things come to those who wait.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Sorry if anyone's been waiting for the version for this Sunday's test game. We uploaded a new one this afternoon - but we had a biggish test game on a LAN today (4vs4 - went pretty well), and might do a "hotfix" for tomorrows game.

I'm thinking we'll put on RapidShare for ease of quick download (and ease of download removal when we're done with it).

More info (including changelog) tomorrow.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Bump: Forgot to say , I'll try to be on Spring's mumble channel - for ease of communication with newer players/ giving some guidelines as to how to play.
I'm afraid I didn't get round to putting together a visual guide yet - sorry guys :/.

Hotfixed version should hopefully be up in ~ an hour, Test game is in 2 hours (19:00 UTC this week! )
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

A visual guide?
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

OK guys - important notice for todays game - you'll need to grab the slightly changed LUPS file (fixed to remove some error spam in console). See link at top.

The new version (0.0.5) will be up a few minutes - is up now! - sorry for delay (I'll edit here when it's up).

@bob - there was a request to have some screenshots with the different GUI elements explained. Still need to do.

Edit: game in ~ 40 minutes (realistically :P).

Edit2: New version is in SVN! Uploading to Megaupload also, but will be ~ 15.
Edit3: Megaupload! (-- link removed) Release 0.0.5 is hot of the press, and ready to rumble :D

Final Edit: Game done - was only a small 2 vs 2 this week, but still valuable to find quite a number of bugs and gameplay weaknesses. See everyone next week the latest :).
knorke

Post by knorke »

just wondering why cant you include the lups file with the mod?
Echo419

Post by Echo419 »

Still on for this weekend?
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Sure :). New version is now online (and on Rapidshare as well Edit - download file deleted). - Still not on rapid I'm afraid :/....

Since the changelog is very short this week, I'll post here as well:

v 0.0.6
- SightDistance of Ground units cut to 2/3 of previous (Engines now 600. UGV's 550)
- added Hotkeys for abilities - "Q" is first ability, "E" is second.

@knorke - if we ever need to change it again, I'll be sure to do that.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

And another Sunday game successfully concluded :D. If anyone's interested in the replay, I'm happy to deliver.
Otherwise, thanks again to all those that were there, and as usual, there were pretty much mountains of stuff that came up that could do with fixing :/.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

SeanHeron wrote:If anyone's interested in the replay, I'm happy to deliver.
why not replays adune ?

Return to “Engines Of War”