Feedback thread + collection

Flexible tactical mechanized warfare of the future, spearheaded by role-differentiated Engines Of War!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

This thread is for a sorted collection - please post feedback here.
This thread is now both the sorted collection - and the official place to post general feedback on Engines of War. For ease of sorting, please sort your feedback into the categories "Gameplay", "Map", "GUI/controls", and "Graphics/looks".
Also, starting each bullet with a "- " would be appreciated.

Apologies if your feedback does not turn up here swiftly - I currently have a bit of a backlog, and want to work on game stuff directly. Will be updated sooner or later.

Open Feedback/issues:
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Re: Feedback collection

Post by SeanHeron »

Gameplay
basket wrote:Airsupport didn't work I think
Nothing happened that I saw
Sean: Oh, ok, maybe it isn't transparent enough to the user what should be happening.
zwzsg wrote:The player mech really need to be buffed, in HP, in firepower, and in speed. Right now it's spend a minute walking from base to front line, die with a few shots from lowly tanks without even getting a chance to escape.
Wombat wrote:yup, getting from spawn to front takes ridicuosly long. i would also personally see much more enemy units for bigger massacre. didnt have time to test all mechs, but do any of them got jump ability ? (i see helios got 'something', could be added for more mechs tho) i would also implement some shields, instead of hp buff. tbh game needs to be bit more dynamic, atm its rush front and let boi shoot.
- about shields i would suggest something different - no shield surrounding whole unit (tho its still good idea) but little shield which is same size as unit, which is placed in front of it. so it basicly covers only front of engine, not whole unit. could provide some fun microing (trying to keep engine behind it).
- tbh main suggestion i got is 'quantity over quality'. i want to rape and pillage, not kill few tanks per minute
knorke wrote: -At first did not know why heat kept rising (was running all the time)
-In first game, my mech (the most left one i think) was walking backwards all the time and would not shot. Not sure if i got it unfucked or restarted.
-Did not really notice what "Rampage" does. Now read that it gives better rof. Hm. Maybe make it fire more guns or different gfx or something. Though i only tried that mech briefly maybe Rampage gets better at levels.
-Playing with the Ballistica mech was alot more fun.
smoth wrote:No I mean if I am hot and standing in water. Any possibility of cooling faster in water?
nightcold wrote: - engins move rlly slow...there is hardly a diffrence between walking and running
- is it posiable to make controlling the engine more dynamic and skill related...people like things that they can get better at....
11041 (aka Echo419) wrote:- Walk is too slow (although if run was faster i could deal with this)
- Not enough difference between run and walk.
- As for balance, i havent played PvP but i find turerts have way to much range, could do with shorter, more powerful turrets.
- I find the mob health good, only mech that i struggled with was #1, all others breezed through.
PicassoCT wrote:Played it -great game, lots of improvment still nessesary, but actually fun already! Still lacks a little bit the feeling that you actually make a diffrence in the tide of combat, but i guess you need more people playing it in the same team, for that effect to appear.
oksnoop2 wrote:- Felt my like engine died really fast.
- I could not tell when the game was going to end.
- I tried to use the buildings as cover but my engine kept trying to shoot through them. I found this slightly annoying.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Map
bobthedinosaur wrote:some thing on the map (if you plan on making it busan only) are kind of iffy. like the robots that are kid size when compared to the kiwki mart, and the strange tree house buildings, and some of the excessive solar power, and the little houses. there rest feels good tho, like a real war scene in metropolis (especially with the choppers and spot lights great touch!)
basket wrote: Rough translation: Well, I think the [map] size is okay, and [unit] speed is as well. Maybe enable items that increase speed, like in DotA.
I'd switched on Bumpwater for a while, and with waves you had water coming through the ground where there shouldn't have been any water.
knorke wrote:First impression was good with the whole city but still good fps.
smoth wrote: - ssmf would be nice
- better water colors for bump water. hell steal the ones from gunmetal or something.
- the unit lighting on the map is foobar. Better unit lighting settings would make a huge bit of difference.
nightcold wrote:spawning locations+walking speed makes it a chore to use the some of the other fighting lines
knorke wrote:When aiming at civil stuff, the cursor should change into a "no attack" icon.
oksnoop2 wrote:- Map was super cool, I liked the scale.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

GUI / controls
bobthedinosaur wrote:i just played a fun game with myself by myself... and some ai. any ways. i find the controls difficult. before when we had the WASD for movement and click to kill set up like diablo it seemed easier for me. now it seem i get kill a lot faster by getting into places i don't want to be and not getting out of them as fast as i would like. the gui on top with the engine controls. nice idea, it just doens't need to be that big. kind of blocking the view if you play on smaller resolutions.
zwzsg wrote: - I wish I had more control of my mech, steal KP's shoot'n'run code!
I see you put lots of work into the GUI, but it isn't perfect yet:
- There's no tooltip. It would be much better to have info on enemy units (and friendly, and structures, ...) when mouse overed.
- If I disable the engine-info widget, then reneable it, it doesn't show until I die (though that's a very minor bug)
- To repair, I had to click on the button, then on myself. I would have expected to instantly apply the repair to me. Same for EMP.
- JumpJet was lacking range indicator, and some gfx when activated. EMP also need some EMP.
- Repair, JumpJet, EMP Shoot, etc.. apparently require me to click the button on the left-middle side of the screen, but there's no cooldown indicator there. The cooldown are in tiny font in bottom right window. Use something like KP's SIGTERM button.
- In general, have more big colored gauges and less tiny white digit blended within text.
- Overally the GUI would be better if the mech wasn't selected, but instead redirect move and attack command to that one mech. And added custom button for the custom ability. Make sure they have hotkeys too.
knorke wrote: -I missed having the tooltip to mouse over units to see what they are.
-Instead of "heat > 80%" warning just make the heat display turn red or something. This kind of pop-ups are more what i expect to see in an application but not in a game. Or just make heat display slowly fade from blue to red and at 80% it starts flashing etc.
-Same for health/xp less white numbers, more bars, graphs and color usage.
-Would be better if all buttons/informations where in one place, ie at bottom.
smoth wrote:make the engine stuff on the bottom so the ui isn't taking up all parts of the screen.
11041 (aka Echo419) wrote:- Cooldown timers could do with something animated
knorke wrote:In replays, some UI parts should not show, ie the mech selection menu.
oksnoop2 wrote:I did not understand the UI very well. I would recommend a "user manual" type thing with screen shots and text explaining the different elements.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Graphics
knorke wrote: -The Engines are a bit too grey maybe? More teamcolor might make them look better and also help in MP?
-later turned the Night widget of as I could not see what was going on.
-There was one turret with completly black texture i think.
smoth wrote:- less sporadic team coloring OR add team colored platers
- would be nice if the mechs had colors for faster identification. Like red, white etc not grey. I don't mean spots of colors I am saying like a color scheme. don't want to do it? Give me to obj or a wings file+the base texture, would take me maybe 20 minutes to do the lot of heroes.
- More glow on the hero units
nightcold wrote: - imo turrets and engines should not have the flashlight thing
- engins stay in the same position position in that they last fired in...it looks awkward when they keep on walking forward
- you might already know but, animations need alot more polish...ballista's feet sink into the ground when walking....
- I think you guys mixed up the abilities for the hellborn and helios engins....since the one that has jetpacs dose not have the jumpjet ability and has rampage instead....and the one that has no jetpacs can somehow jump(more like teleport).....
- i think it would be nice if engines were smaller and infantry were bigger...some of the diffrence in scaleing between the diffrent vehicles feels odd....when you compare buildings(building doors) to infanty you cant help but wounder where did they get all those midgets to join their army(everyone is a miget in the future!!!!)
-also, add the screen shakeing wiget from nota
11041 (aka Echo419) wrote:- Animations are clunky
oksnoop2 wrote:Did not like that it was night time, as it was hard to see and the lua head light obscured my FPS'ing of the Engine.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Feedback that has been addressed / is fixed:
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be quoting here anymore - it's too much hassle to move over otherwise.

Plus, I'll be listing which version the issues were addressed in, and then delete after a certain time /number of versions.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Gameplay

by Version 0.0.2 (midweekversion):
.....i dont rlly know what ablility is what when iam leveing up...
leveling up dose not fell all that signifigent.
-copses pile up alot, includeing all the times my engin died....
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Map
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

GUI / Controls

by Version 0.0.2 (midweekversion):
- needs to say what abilities the units [Engines] have so I am not just blindly clicking buttans.
- If I click anywhere during the start count down, the mech selection screen doesn't appear (but I can still build one from factory)
- UI obscuring chat
- Engine control widget hides the chat. Does it serve any other purpose than showing a walk/run button?
- The "engine controll" is on the chat -> cant read chat.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Graphics

by Version 0.0.3:
~ (rephrased): Unit normals seem distorted - likely from resizing them in UpSpring.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Feedback that will not be addressed:
- ie we game devs are of a different opinion/ do not wish to change the game in this manner
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Gameplay
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Map
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

GUI / controls
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Graphics / looks and style
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

The Thread is now open from here onwards for feedback:
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Re: Feedback thread + collection

Post by SeanHeron »

oksnoop2 wrote:A few thoughts.

Map was super cool, I liked the scale.

Did not like that it was night time, as it was hard to see and the lua head light obscured my FPS'ing of the Engine.

I did not understand the UI very well. I would recommend a "user manual" type thing with screen shots and text explaining the different elements.

Felt my like engine died really fast.

I could not tell when the game was going to end.

I tried to use the buildings as cover but my engine kept trying to shoot through them. I found this slightly annoying.

I'd also recommend using Mumble instead of Team speak as Spring seems to "endorse" it.

I understand that 99 percent of my complaints are probably me just being ignorant and for that I apologize.

Other than that the game felt unique and I look forward to playing again...Hopefully with some reading of documentation before hand.

Return to “Engines Of War”