Mac Binary Release - Page 20

Mac Binary Release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

Commander

Re: Mac Binary Release

Post by Commander »

New Release:

http://fabian.herb-clan.de/Spring-0.76b1+5448.dmg

This one includes an unitsync lib with Java bindings (JNI aware). I didn't test it though, so good luck!

I'm totally stepping in the dark with the build icons thing. So it's not i386 vs. PPC, not ATI vs. nVidia, and not Tiger vs. Leopard. Maybe old graphics cards vs. new ones. Or a combination of some kind. I have a rather old ATI Radeon 9000 Pro in a PPC Mac.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Should we not open a mac forum for all this?
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

you need another mac player for that ;) a bit more seriously, currently there's no reason for making a separate forum for two threads. once there's a working version, people play it and start to post about it, we can think about separating stuff some more.
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

Just change the Linux thread to "Linux and Mac" or just "UNIX systems" or something. :-)
Echrei

Post by Echrei »

My system is a Single CPU 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 with an ATI Radeon X800XT. Mac OS 10.5.1.

In Windowed mode with the latest build, the loading pictures and build icons work now! :mrgreen:

However, it runs too slow to play in Windowed mode. In fullscreen it works fine, but there are no build or unit icons.
icd

Post by icd »

There's a message that scrolls off the console when I start a game. Maybe it has something to do with the missing build icons? See attached screenshot.
Attachments
screen000.jpg
(51.75 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Commander

Post by Commander »

I think I got it:

http://fabian.herb-clan.de/Spring-0.76b1+5450.dmg

I noticed that the build icon and loading screen bitmaps have an odd size (non power of two). Spring's bitmap loading code scales the image two the next power of two (2, 4, 8, 16 etc.), except for if the ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extensionn is available.

But according to this message, ATI cards never support it, although the driver claims it does. So I disabled the use of this extension for now.

Let me know if it works!
thetoon

Post by thetoon »

Commander wrote:Let me know if it works!
It does! You're the best :)

Edit: some more useful things : I'm using it on an iMac Intel "early '06" (first intel batch). I'm running Mac OS X, and until this version, I never had the build icons nor splashscreens within fullscreen mode. Yay.
Echrei

Post by Echrei »

Nice Commander! I get build icons full screen now too!
DandyGnome

Post by DandyGnome »

Thanks
That fixed to build icons for me as well. Of course I might go back to windowed sometimes as I can't switch spaces (desktops) while playing fullscreen and it is nice to be able to get work done while spring runs in the background.
icd

Post by icd »

Thanks Commander,

It fixes build icons and loading screens for me too.

While you're in a fixing things mood, one of the features of the Elio build was that *.srts files were associated with Spring.app so you could start a game by opening the .srts file. That doesn't work any more, even if I manually associate .srts files with Spring, or drop the file onto the Spring icon.

I can use a script from the commmand line though, e.g:

Code: Select all

/Applications/Games/Spring/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/Spring ~/skirmish.srts
(Although I have to refer to ~/skirmish.srts, if I simply refer to skirmish.srts, even if it is in the current directory, it doesn't work.)
Commander

Post by Commander »

Elio never commited the changes that accomplish this, so I had to rewrite it from scratch, sorry. I will rather fix SpringLobby if I find the time. It supports skirmish games and setting configuration settings as well.

Spring changes the current directory to the one surrounding the application bundle, so it will look for your file there.

Windowed mode might run faster now, since it shouldn't switch to software rendering.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

What is the status of Java 6 under Mac OS X atm?
Echrei

Post by Echrei »

AF wrote:What is the status of Java 6 under Mac OS X atm?
There was a developer preview released for Tiger a long time ago. The current dev preview 8 for Leopard only works on 64-bit Intel Macs. It was released December 18th.
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

All new Intel Macs are 64-bit capable right? In which case, wouldn't anyone running Leopard have 64-bit by default?
Commander

Post by Commander »

All Intel Macs are 64 bit capable. But I have Leopard running on a G4 (PPC), which is 32 bit only. G5 is 64 bit again.
Echrei

Post by Echrei »

Commander wrote:All Intel Macs are 64 bit capable. But I have Leopard running on a G4 (PPC), which is 32 bit only. G5 is 64 bit again.
All Intel Macs are NOT 64-bit capable. Core Duo Processors are only 32-bit.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Echrei wrote:
Commander wrote:All Intel Macs are 64 bit capable. But I have Leopard running on a G4 (PPC), which is 32 bit only. G5 is 64 bit again.
Uhhh wut.
Echrei

Post by Echrei »

Peet wrote:
Echrei wrote:
Uhhh wut.
Core 2 Duos and Xeons are 64-bit. Core Duos are 32-bit.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Echrei wrote: Xeons are 64-bit. Core Duos are 32-bit.
Ohh, Core Duos, mentally added the 2 in there. Yay for ambiguous naming conventions.

Return to “Mac OS X”