Mac Binary Release - Page 22

Mac Binary Release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

BlueTemplar

Re: Mac Binary Release

Post by BlueTemplar »

Remember that you have a settings list on the first page of this thread...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Remember dynamic water generates random lines on a geforce 8 when land is on screen
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

AF wrote:Remember dynamic water generates random lines on a geforce 8 when land is on screen
Unless you replace the shader with the fixed one :-)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

is that in the svn or is there a download link you can conveniently place for the average joe?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

SVN
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

AF wrote:is that in the svn or is there a download link you can conveniently place for the average joe?
Yes. It's in the svn, and there's a link in the H&B announcement post thing.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Here is the fix.
Echrei

Post by Echrei »

Peet wrote:In windows, the settings are stored in the registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SJ\Spring iirc. I highly doubt dynamic water will work on a macbook pro though - it only works on GF6,7s and 8s, only runs acceptably fast on the higher-end cards of those series.
I have a Geforce 8600GT with 512MB VRAM in my laptop. /water 2 worked. Thanks! I had it on water 3. It runs well, but now I need to do the fix.
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I have the same card. Let me know how the fix goes for you...
waxbanks

Post by waxbanks »

aloha all -

many thanks for the hard work getting the mac build working - i've missed TA ever since i ditched my old PC in the late 90's and am glad to have another crack at it. (and i dreamed of first-person mode back then. bravo!)

question: how would i get a single-player game going against a skirmish AI on the mac? i can't seem to find this information on the wiki or in the forums, which means either i'm retarded or this is a straightforward question as yet unanswered. i don't have a lobby running, btw.

(leopard, intel, etc.)
jackoverfull

Post by jackoverfull »

you need to prepare a startup script.

try with this one.
modifing it should be easy, just launch the game from the terminal (drop it's icon on a terminale window, delete the ending space, then add "/Contents/MacOS/Spring " without quotes) with the file as an argument (drop it after the space).
Attachments
newx.txt
(992 Bytes) Downloaded 92 times
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

It would be really great if one of you who is knowledgeable about building apps on Mac would come to talk to us springlobby devs on irc in #springlobby @ freenode or #springlobby in lobby to fix the few remaining issues to get SpringLobby fully working on Mac.

Commander make some progress a while ago, but it seems he's currently busy otherwise.
Merefield

Post by Merefield »

markroedel wrote:When I try to launch this, I get a black screen, immediately after which it bombs with a "bus error." Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

(Macbook, Leopard 10.5.2...)
I get this too :? :( (same platform Macbook, Leopard 10.5.2 ...):

Last login: Sun Apr 27 00:41:18 on console
james-bonds-macbook:~ jbond$ /Applications/Spring/Spring.app /Applications/Spring/newx.txt
-bash: /Applications/Spring/Spring.app: is a directory
james-bonds-macbook:~ jbond$ /Applications/Spring/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/Spring /Applications/Spring/newx.txt
Bus error
james-bonds-macbook:~ jbond$

Is this related to the security patch Apple released which relates to Position Independent Executables?:

"I saw this in the ld man page

├óÔé¼┬Ø -pie This makes a special kind of main executable that is position independent (PIE). On Mac OS X 10.5, the OS will load a PIE at a ran-
dom address each time it is executed. You cannot create a PIE from .o files compiled with -mdynamic-no-pic. That means the codegen
is less optimal, but the address randomization adds some security.
├óÔé¼┼ô

and then I noticed that my gcc -v doesn├óÔé¼Ôäót include ld anywhere in it, must less have anything related to this -pie option├óÔé¼┬ª"

(from http://www.matasano.com/log/981/a-round ... -features/)

See impact to some other software and explanation here: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/2008/03/ ... ility-fix/
jackoverfull

Post by jackoverfull »

the second command should be right...

what if you launch spring without the startup script? it launches?
Echrei

Post by Echrei »

Vadi wrote:I have the same card. Let me know how the fix goes for you...
The fix worked fine, I put the file in a folder called shaders in the Resources folder in Spring. Water looks awesome now. Works on the Mac and Win version.
Merefield

Post by Merefield »

jackoverfull wrote:the second command should be right...

what if you launch spring without the startup script? it launches?
Nope, unfortunately i still get "bus error"

Last login: Sun Apr 27 10:29:23 on console
james-bonds-macbook:~ jbond$ /Applications/Spring/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/Spring
Bus error
james-bonds-macbook:~ jbond$
jackoverfull

Post by jackoverfull »

odd.
you should try to reinstall it. try also an older release to see if it works. what version of the system are you running?
Merefield

Post by Merefield »

jackoverfull wrote:odd.
you should try to reinstall it. try also an older release to see if it works. what version of the system are you running?
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7010)
Echrei

Post by Echrei »

Merefield wrote:
jackoverfull wrote:odd.
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7010)
I have the same OS. You have the latest build he released with at least one map and one mod installed in the folders? I wonder if it's the Intel GMA card.
jackoverfull

Post by jackoverfull »

Echrei wrote:I wonder if it's the Intel GMA card.
but in that case it should display a dialog with "unsupported graphics" or something like that (if it's unsupported), decisively not a "Bus error"├óÔé¼┬ª

Return to “Mac OS X”