Mac Binary Release - Page 8

Mac Binary Release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Hell, if we get a mac port fully functional, the Japanese and Koreans may finally start playing a real computer game instead of thier dating sims! :o
10053r

Post by 10053r »

Not sure about the Japanese, but the South Koreans are almost entirely windows based (like 99%), and play the most computer games per capita of any nation, with something like 80% of the population participating. MMORPGs are really big there, but I'm sure in a market that large there is room for a RTS. A Mac port would be nice because it would pick up a lot of mac gamers who feel left out in the cold by mainstream RTSes, but I would guess not having a Korean localization is probably a bigger deal than not having a mac version.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

has ANYBODY bothered to compile a mac version of Java unitsync and get AFLobby working?
smoth

Post by smoth »

10053r wrote: A Mac port would be nice because it would pick up a lot of mac gamers who feel left out in the cold by mainstream RTSes, and gaming in general
- fixed

although, mac users can supposedly install windoze or Linux on the new machines right?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Yes, though the required ritual cleansing after each use are a hassle.
desertlynx

Post by desertlynx »

Mac users with the new Macintels can install Windows and effectively turn their computer into a dualbooting mac/windows computer (as I do).

However, it's a large amount of effort just to run a game and is obviously not possible on the older PowerPC architecture; with which many Mac users remain for the time being.

I'm not a native mac user, rather I work on mac, play on windows and dabble in linux. However, it didn't take me long to discover that there is very little in terms of RTSs for Mac users.

I suspect that if any kind of RTS were made available (let alone a brilliant and free one such as spring), the reception would be quite large.

PS, let's stay on topic with this thread and keep it clear for the devs
elio

Post by elio »

I'm back :)

will post AF lobby Java bound unit sync soon

catching up later.

(ps, donations can be helpful at difficult times ;) )
Ling_Lover

Post by Ling_Lover »

umm... i just dled the spring for mac again and im getting the same problem as i did a while ago (before you posted a fixed version) where it opens, bounces once, then closes...
elio

Post by elio »

one of the frameworks need renaming... sorry will fix soon
Subdino

Post by Subdino »

Hi.

I gave a quick try from the svn to get it to build on linux/ppc, and now it builds & runs correctly (as correctly as my ati card + r300 driver : not playable but no glitches AFAICS). My machine is a late-2005 iBookG4 15" (1.4Ghz 7447A + some mobile ATI + 512MB DDR ram) runing Debian sid.

See my patch (against r3420) : http://pastebin.ca/361814
You also need to remove by hand lua/lua/src/lib/streflop_gateway.cpp and rts/lib/streflop (I'm working on a cleaner version of the patch which disable them nicely without having to delete them :) ).

For now, because of the lack of streflop it probably cannot sync in a network game, and don't expect too much from it since I haven't spent more than 2 minutes toying with controls.

EDIT:forgot pastebin post # :$
elio

Post by elio »

moving in tomorrow; so everything will be back in action.

Sabdino -> i really should get around to uploading my diffs; they already solved ppc linux running problems lol. Sorry about not getting everything up before I left. some snyc issues are solved but not all yet.
Subdino

Post by Subdino »

Ah, great to hear that you made it working.
No problem about not releasing the diff, hacking a piece of software can be entertaining, and in this case it was - thanks to the help I received on IRC.
I just hope now that you won't get conflicts because of the code which was commited a few days ago (the #ifdef stuff)...
elio

Post by elio »

Subdino wrote:Ah, great to hear that you made it working.
No problem about not releasing the diff, hacking a piece of software can be entertaining, and in this case it was - thanks to the help I received on IRC.
I just hope now that you won't get conflicts because of the code which was commited a few days ago (the #ifdef stuff)...
ah... yeah... it has broken things... maybe it merged oddly...
elio

Post by elio »

It's going to take a bit to resync with the latest revision, but should be back in a day or two... I hope..
elio

Post by elio »

Patch:0.78eU

Think I've resynced the code base, but it needs testing. updated AI files included.
icd

Post by icd »

Hello,

Using MacOSX 10.4.8 on PowerMac G5.

Downloaded and installed:

SpringRTS Universal Mac Build 0.7gU, then
AI patch for 0.7 series, then
SpringRTS Mac 0.7->0.78eU Patch&AI

The last one makes the complaints about version numbers of the libs go away. However the AIs don't all seem to work correctly.

KAI-0.12 seems to work as does KAI-0.22.

myai crashes the app with the following message on console:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _IAICallback_SendTextMsg
Referenced from: /Applications/Games/SpringRTS.app/data/AI/Bot-libs/myai.dylib
Expected in: dynamic lookup

dyld: Symbol not found: _IAICallback_SendTextMsg
Referenced from: /Applications/Games/SpringRTS.app/data/AI/Bot-libs/myai.dylib

Trace/BPT trap

Similar for myaimingw.dylib

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _IAICallback_SendTextMsg
Referenced from: /Applications/Games/SpringRTS.app/data/AI/Bot-libs/myaimingw.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _IAICallback_SendTextMsg
Referenced from: /Applications/Games/SpringRTS.app/data/AI/Bot-libs/myaimingw.dylib

AAI doesn't seem to work but I think it needs additional configuration.

All the AI's cause a funny message to come onto the console. I don't know how to pause or scrollback on the console, but it is something like ..
/home/eloi .... solib::findaddess (dlsym something) IsCInterface: not found
/Applications/Games/SpringRTS.app/data/AI/Bot-libs/aai.dylib is a C++ interface.

Hope all this helps!!
icd

Post by icd »

Now I've got AAI configured, it seems to be crashing too, assuming I didn't stuff up somewhere.

macroscian:/Applications/Games ian$ SpringRTS.app/Contents/MacOS/SpringRTS
/Applications/Games/SpringRTS.app/data
Segmentation fault
icd

Post by icd »

icd wrote:Now I've got AAI configured, it seems to be crashing too, assuming I didn't stuff up somewhere.
Ignore this, AAI works fine once I deleted ai\aai\learn\mod\XTAPE.dat and ai\aai\log\BuildTable_XTAPE.txt
elio

Post by elio »

myai shouldn't work I don't think as it's missing compatible code, and apparently it's not worth the bother. others should be fine. AI patch for 0.7 series is redundant.
icd

Post by icd »

elio wrote:myai shouldn't work I don't think as it's missing compatible code, and apparently it's not worth the bother. others should be fine. AI patch for 0.7 series is redundant.
OK, so how can I best help? Now I've got AAI and skirmish mode working the game seems basically working. The sound is a bit wonky (very loud when you're right over the action, but soft when you're just away from it) and when I tried using one of the helper libs, I got a crash. Should I try to work through all the helper/group/builder AIs and see what works?

Return to “Mac OS X”