Diary of an insane man - Page 2

Diary of an insane man

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

MasterBel

Re: Diary of an insane man

Post by MasterBel » 06 Mar 2019, 04:58

At this point I'm more concerned about Spring running on Mac. Helping with SL will probably come later, probably when I need a break from getting nowhere. But yes, that's a possibility. I'll keep it in mind.

Also, ivand successfully convinced me to start with OpenGL instead of Vulkan.
0 x

malric

Post by malric » 07 Mar 2019, 00:06

Maybe share the arguments he used to convince you to go for OpenGL instead of Vulkan?
0 x

MasterBel

Post by MasterBel » 09 Mar 2019, 21:54

malric wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 00:06
Maybe share the arguments he used to convince you to go for OpenGL instead of Vulkan?
Sure
Well, it turns out that Vulkan is well-known to require a tonne of boilerplate code

i.e. when you're learning, learning Vulkan gets in the way of learning 3D gfx. Makes sense. Then it might make further sense to go to an additional abstraction layer (ivand sent me a link to a video about DilligentEngine), but that opened up too many options for me, and I can't find something pointing which way. Settling with OpenGL for now.

I have worked a little bit through the tutorial – I'm following this one: https://learnopengl.com/Getting-started/OpenGL which is said to be "the best" but all I've done so far is get a window appearing, Business appeared and I've had to postpone progress. Hoping to find some time soon.
0 x

Return to “Mac OS X”