MacOS SpringRTS OSX Build - Page 7

MacOS SpringRTS OSX Build

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

MaDDoX

Re: MacOS SpringRTS OSX Build

Post by MaDDoX »

Any new SpringLobby build? Apparently the current OSX version doesn't work properly in the new server version..
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Nemo claims such a thing exists. ;)
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Does anyone have a spring-dedicated build for mac?
TurBoss
Jauria RTS Developer

Post by TurBoss »

Hello

I was trying to build springrts under linux for mac using OSXCROSS

what steps have you used, what boost what XCODE

i'm using gcc4.9 for crosscompiling

I have all deps from macports

here is the Issue https://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=5426

thanks
probzor

Post by probzor »

Hi.
I've found a way to make sharp text on retina for SpringLobby.

https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/WxMac-specif ... ay_support

->

<key>NSPrincipalClass</key>
<string>NSApplication</string>

Btw it also enables filtered scaling of icons/graphics (less jagged).

Should I commit/push it to some repo?

Is someone maintaining the OS X build?
Is there anything newer than 0.248 for OSX?
Says 0.255 is the newest, but I'm not sure how to upgrade it on OS X...

Cheers,
Probzor
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Should I commit/push it to some repo?
yes, https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby/
Is someone maintaining the OS X build?
afaik no. there were no osx related commits recently.
Is there anything newer than 0.248 for OSX?
Says 0.255 is the newest, but I'm not sure how to upgrade it on OS X...
afaik no, to "upgrade" you need to compile it with gcc i guess.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Current homebrew based instructions needed tweaking a little but it half builds at the moment on the develop branch
matyhaty

Post by matyhaty »

I have some spare mini's which im happy to give remote access to if people need it to build

Also I have plenty of server space to host files

If popele want me to setup something, please should and ill sort

I dont have time for the builds tho!
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

matyhaty wrote:I have some spare mini's which im happy to give remote access to if people need it to build

Also I have plenty of server space to host files

If popele want me to setup something, please should and ill sort

I dont have time for the builds tho!
Thanks for the offer!
At the moment I don't have time to take care of this, but it's probable this could be really helpful before 105.0 is released.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

IIRC there's a mac build slave available already. But it doesn't have anything compilable to compile because 104.0 no friends with mac.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Anarchid wrote:IIRC there's a mac build slave available already.
Yes, TurBoss set one up

Anarchid wrote: But it doesn't have anything compilable to compile because 104.0 no friends with mac.
Actually, Spring 104.0 compiles quite well, you just can't run it because it fails to create an OpenGL compatability context. I don't know whether the buildslave is successfully compiling, but Belmakor has a setup on his computer that works. ((I did too but then I accidentally went and wiped my computer))
TurBoss
Jauria RTS Developer

Post by TurBoss »

MasterBel2 wrote:
Anarchid wrote:IIRC there's a mac build slave available already.
Yes, TurBoss set one up

Anarchid wrote: But it doesn't have anything compilable to compile because 104.0 no friends with mac.
Actually, Spring 104.0 compiles quite well, you just can't run it because it fails to create an OpenGL compatability context. I don't know whether the buildslave is successfully compiling, but Belmakor has a setup on his computer that works. ((I did too but then I accidentally went and wiped my computer))
Could you please share the steps to setup a working spring build environment?

Thanks
NIX

Post by NIX »

If the 103 version works, why not only allow 103 servers? Right now there's no way to play this game. Having one or two 103 servers up doesn't help since nobody plays on them.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I'm working on working out how I did and so far have failed. :roll:
NIX

Post by NIX »

I appreciate people who try to make this game work for OSX. I certainly have no clue how to fix this. I would pay for someone to fix this shit.
MaDDoX

Post by MaDDoX »

I doubt you'd get anyone to do it, since - from what the engine guys said - it would require a complete overhaul of the graphics pipeline, or having it run on Metal which would be even less probable considering the amount of OSX players. 105 theoretically will have enough meat to allow it to work on OSX again, but there's no timeframe for that.

As a workaround, I've investigated using a Linux install (with 104) running on a virtual machine with GPU passthrough mode. Didn't have the time to go through the process yet, but from what I've read it's not that hard.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Open Source we make one standard at the start and then we spend the rest of the time reenacting medieval European history
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

TurBoss wrote: Could you please share the steps to setup a working spring build environment?
Thanks
I haven't tested this exact method but I'm 99% sure it works, because I documented everything as I did it: download the attatched zip and place it in your documents directory (The scripts assume the location of the unzipped folder will be ~/Documents/Spring exactly, this must be changed in build.sh and setup.sh if you wish to place it elsewhere). It also assumes a standard macports directory (/opt/local)

Once unzipped, download boost from https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/ ... st/1.66.0/ (or a preferred location) and uncompress it to ~/Documents/Spring/boost_1_66_0/ The setup.sh script will set it up as necessary.

All dependencies will be grabbed using macports in setup.sh therefore macports must be installed. setup.sh will also grab the source (master by default)

All this information is in the readme.md file, and is probably slightly more legible there too ;)

Which branch you build can be configured in build.sh, default is master. It will update to the new branch/latest before building if you change the definition BRANCH=<branch>

Running setup.sh will attempt to build spring by calling build.sh after setup is complete.

Bundling occurs in the build file. As of current trials on this machine bundling results in an unlaunchable application because it seems to require a yet unreleased MacOS version. I can't work out how to fix that.

Building Master (104.0) will currently succeeds on my computer, building develop fails (I haven't worked out exactly why yet).

I think that's all you need to know? ;)
Attachments
Spring.zip
(5.86 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Last edited by MasterBel2 on 15 Feb 2018, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Building Master (104.0) will currently succeeds on my computer, building develop fails (I haven't worked out exactly why yet).
develop is in a heavily WIP state and undergoing massive GL reworks. You could try the maintenance branch instead. Do any of the 104.0 build products actually launch?
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Anarchid wrote:Do any of the 104.0 build products actually launch?
The builds launch, but due to the incompatible Gl versions they also promptly crash ^^
Anarchid wrote:develop is in a heavily WIP state and undergoing massive GL reworks.
I'm aware (and really happy about) this, but afaik the windows & linux builds are still passing? So I thought it might be possible for the MacOS build to pass too, if I've done everything right.

Return to “Mac OS X”