please allow all spring versions without restrictions

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

saturnV

Post by saturnV »

As I understand engine developers were frustrated that old spring versions were used by players.
So they used the botflag-system in attempt to force games to update to newest spring version.

Enough time has passed to notice: This did not work.

Games did not update, instead they were abandoned.
See statistic here: viewtopic.php?p=596081#p596081
There is only one (1) host using current stable spring 104.0
Do you really prefer that to the situation before?
Why is nobody talking about to get out of this mess?

Why did games not update?
Most important probably BA because that game had the most players.
The BA-version compatible with spring104 also featured gameplay changes that players did not like. That's it.
As far I know, none of the engine developers play BA so maybe they do not understand why that is a big deal. Well, to players it was a big deal.
Spring is a a game engine, gameplay matters to players.

I think it is time to rethink and allow all games and engine versions.
Maybe today no game is using the latest engine version. But eventually there will again be game doing that. Just, with the current system that is unlikely to happen because the server is dead. Also if the same struggle and war happens again with spring105,106,107 and 108 it is not even worth it. Games and players need longterm stability.
MasterBel

Re: please allow all spring versions without restrictions

Post by MasterBel »

Just want to check that you're aware that 104.0 is already an outdated version, over the last few years games running on 104.0 + have moved to following more bleeding-edge versions released from the "maintenance" branch. The currently played version is 104.0.1-1553-XXXXX for BAR, Other games use newer/

The problem with it being non-downloadable is not because it's older than 104.0, but because there's nothing in place to prevent the post-104.0 versions from being removed. They're removed by default as they're built every stepwise version, and most of them aren't played.

And I know you feel so special, but BA doesn't have the most players. It hasn't had for a long time. Even when it was on the official server, I'm pretty sure. At this point, BAR and Zero-K are:
1) Bigger than BA, and growing
2) Contributing to core engine & infrastructure development
3) Using one of the latest engine builds
4) Actually nice to be around because they don't have a toxic community that spreads misinformation.

I say this as a BA player who is severely miffed that I miss out on all of that good stuff. (It's my fault that I bought a Mac :lol: )

As a BA player, I want the restrictions to stay. Why? We'll finally actually move forward. Ares is finally actually working to bring BA to Spring 104. Mando is (allegedly) working on lobbyserver upgrades, and we've had a couple players stand up and build their own lobbies. BA even has a website now! Being on our own server has been *good* for us in multiple ways. It's not perfect – some people don't know where we've gone, but we can work out how to fix that. And that's really the only bad thing about being on our own server.

Seriously. It's time to stop complaining. We have things to do. Games to play. Fun to have. Please, see how you can help.
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

This thread is about the restricted usage of OLD versions. New versions are not restricted. You are off topic.
There is already a different thread about test versions. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40040
BAR and Zero-K
This thread is about the spring server, not the BAR or zeroK server. It is the only server where such restrictions on hosts exist. You are off topic.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

I first responded to your criticisms, then addressed the restrictions. It was on topic.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

saturnV wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 15:41 This thread is about the restricted usage of OLD versions. New versions are not restricted. You are off topic.
There is already a different thread about test versions. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40040
BAR and Zero-K
This thread is about the spring server, not the BAR or zeroK server. It is the only server where such restrictions on hosts exist. You are off topic.
BAR does not support anything but the bleeding edge. Im not too familiar with ZK's infra, but I'm sure their game wont even run on anything below 104-1000. So pretty much it seems that _all_ servers except BA server discourage/restrict old versions.

Just a side note on engine 104+BA 9.46: 9.46 ('the one without gameplay changes that some players did not like') was updated to be perfectly compatible with 104, it would have required a bit of work on someone who's main goal wasn't to use a newer engine as a casus belli to seize power and spread dissent to adapt to some engine changes w.r.t. to balance.

MasterBel, it is extremely refreshing to hear your positive, productive and peaceful tone on this matter! Thank you very much for bringing sanity back to this discussion!
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

Beherith wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 12:32BAR does not support anything but the bleeding edge. Im not too familiar with ZK's infra, but I'm sure their game wont even run on anything below 104-1000. So pretty much it seems that _all_ servers except BA server discourage/restrict old versions.
As I already said to Masterbel:
This thread is about the restricted usage of OLD versions. New versions are not restricted.
Why do you bring up new versions? Who cares which engine version zeroK uses on their zeroK server? This is about the spring server.

Just a side note on engine 104+BA 9.46: 9.46 ('the one without gameplay changes that some players did not like')
As far I know there were two such versions. One was appearently not similiar enough to 9.46 but I do not remember what it was like.
The other was published as "minimal effort" and that maybe doomed it from beginning.
At the time the future of BA was looking very bleak and players maybe did not have the will to test yet another BA versions after they had been disappointed by BA10. It would also been silly with the game-names:
You have the original old BA, last version BA9.46
Then you have two versions:
a) version A wants to try new gameplay and new politics
b) version B wants to stay true to original old BA way
It makes no sense that version A gets called "Balanced Annhilation" while version B has to come up with a new name.
version A is the fork, so that should have gotten a new name.
Also when you see "Phoenix Annhilation" or "Super Duper Annhilation" in the lobby, how would anyone know that it is actually the original BA inside?
Just all around a bad messy way and it is no wonder that failed.
PtaQ

Post by PtaQ »

Then encourage the "BA developer" to finally port it to 104/104+?

It has been done twice already, once with BA10, then with Phoenix, the solutions are already there, a monke with crtl+c and v buttons could do the porting basically. What stops him to do it?

PS. The official server is owned, maintained, and paid for by engine/infra devs. Think for a moment about their perspective. Why would they keep on life-support on their server a version which:
- has security concerns
- doesn't support engine development in any way

BA is on a good way to return to the official server and shine again. There are constructive people involved, like MasterBel, Tulipe, Zorro and they deserve much respect. There is just one move your "BA developer" fails to do and this is the whole problem. I believe you should be able to realize it yourself.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

security concerns was proved to be a made up placeholder reason, BA uses the latest stable release and lets everyone play

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”