Upcoming lobby server updates - Page 2

Upcoming lobby server updates

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Silentwings

Re: Upcoming lobby server updates

Post by Silentwings »

difference between a technical limitation (which it was many years ago) and an arbitrary rule that is enforced by admins (in a technical way)
Ofc there is a difference between someone removing an option you once had (even if it turned out to have some bad side effects on other people) and never having had that option at all. Your suggestion of an "arbitrary" rule is not accurate for this - one might argue on detail, but afaics a clear rationale was given.

Since we can code to add/remove technical limitations and write the lobby protocol to add/remove non-techincal limitations, from the point of view of server devs there isn't much difference between "old versions are disallowed" and "old versions are not supported" - the extent to which old engines are present was/is just another choice we have to make.

It's the server devs who implement the code, which is why I & abma announce the change. In reality, based on the strength of feeling of Kloot as lead engine dev, we don't have any real choice; although I do suspect that Kloot is right to insist on the change.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Sorry if the word "arbitrary" was not accurate. As I am not a native speaker I might often be not as accurate as I would like to be.

Yeah, it's Kloots decision then. I sometimes wish he would communicate more with us people here. As I consider the sideffect of in fact "banning" the main mod as quite a drastic step I really hope he put alot of thought in it.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

very_bad_soldier wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 23:48 Yeah, it's Kloots decision then. I sometimes wish he would communicate more with us people here. As I consider the sideffect of in fact "banning" the main mod as quite a drastic step I really hope he put alot of thought in it.
we did not vote about that, but me and several others agree with this approach to force the usage of newer spring engine versions when playing online. there are a lot of reasons for using newer versions, very few reasons using older versions. having still autohosts with spring 98.0 is a shame. :oops:
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

the relayhost is atm broke. sorry!

https://github.com/spring/relayhost/issues/3
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

abma wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 08:29
Jools wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 10:27 I think the minimum version should be game-specific.
i understand that, but we need to get rid of unsupported spring versions. spring development needs more current versions to be used. We have still some autohosts which use spring 98.0/100.0/101.0/103.0 :(
Yes, because xta players don't see any benefit with 103 or never compared to 98. 98 is a very good version. 103 breaks compatibility with bos scripts and fixing it would require us to manually compile 750 scripts for just aesthetic reasons. This would lead to no more xta.

A benefit of not engine version stability is the absence of desyncs, because the path cache is not engine version specific. Version 98 has been used very long and is stable. I don't see any reason to move away from it.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I'm afraid the real point here is that its not just about you or players of game xyz, who might well (at least, in the short term, before hardware progression catches up with you) subsist on with zero work / changes.

The point is that engine devs usually provide the hardest work and ask for nothing back, but this time they do need something back, and they are confident that it directly affects the survival of the whole project.

103 breaks compatibility with bos scripts and fixing it would require us to manually compile 750 scripts
Since both BA & TechA rely on bos scripts, and have certainly not manually edited and recompiled each individual script, I don't believe this. If there is a degree of truth inside it somewhere, please explain - presumably BA/TechA/others already found a way to do whatever you're concerned about.
absence of desyncs, because the path cache
Lobbys with multi-engine support are required since years ago, no issue here.
sprunk

Post by sprunk »

Silentwings wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 20:45
103 breaks compatibility with bos scripts and fixing it would require us to manually compile 750 scripts
Since both BA & TechA rely on bos scripts, and have certainly not manually compiled each individual script, I don't believe this. If there is a degree of truth inside it somewhere, please explain
Not `.bos` compatibility per se (the change affects all scripts including Lua), but the engine now requies `AimWeapon` to be defined for `onlyForward` weapons, which previously was not needed and ignored even if present. See https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... ac73fcad7b

The fix is trivial (ZK example https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K/com ... 8b807de7b6 ) but does mean some scripts need to be modified and recompiled. It should only affect a handful of units like crawling bombs though (anything that has a turret should be kosher). Some weapons are also still exempt (for example `AircraftBomb` still doesn't seem to require `AimWeapon`, though if you're doing a mass fix it's probably a good idea to implement it anyway). Grepping for the lack of `AimWeapon` (and if your scripts are ancient enough, `Aim{Primary,Secondary,Tertiary}` which serve the same role) in your scripts should filter most units out.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

The test lobbyserver is now fully updated, at 78.46.100.157:7200, this can be used by infra devs to test compatibility with all changes.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

The second (and last) set of code updates are planned go onto the live server on Friday. Consequently, there may be short term disruption / downtime for the lobby server, beginning 8am Friday, Feb 15th.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

So this will include
(1) A min Spring version requirement for botflagged hosts, which will typically be the current release version.
?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

No, this part only relates to bridge bots and unification of channel/battle handling. But,
we'll think about when to turn on the various features listed in the OP after we've finished with the code updates, and we'll try to ensure that devs/hosters who need time to prepare do get it
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

The live server is now running the latest uberserver (apologies for ~2h of downtime while we fixed some issues, plus a few restarts in days after for other fixes).

The updates are finished. From now, report all issues to the usual bugtrackers.

When new stuff will be visible to normal users:

The point at which Spring 104.0 is required by botflagged hosts on the lobbyserver will be set + announced by engine devs. Autohosts with botflags should update in preparation.

The bridge bot interface is now fully in place, but normal users won't notice most of the change until a new SL release is made, which is wip. After that, bridges to IRC, Discord, ZK, Matrix, etc will appear, once the bridge bots get updated. (Atm only the bridge to the matrix servers is using the new interface.)

Email verification will be required after a few blocking issues in other stuff are fixed, notably this and this. Since email verification will only be required for new accounts, when this goes live it won't be announced in advance except to affected devs.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Is the email verification stuff supposed to work? I don't know if I messed up something in SL or what, but it has been a good 15 minutes and the code has not yet arrived. It is not in spam. The account is Test_Bot.

Not entering any code on the agreement dialog lets me through, though.

Speaking of blocking issues, (1) has been closed and I don't think (2) is really blocking.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It is currently switched off on the main server, so email addresses and codes are not (yet) required.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Why is it switched off?

When it becomes mandatory, it will make all distro lobbies non-functional overnight. And if distro lobbies are updated before that, then players using them will wonder what to input into the code field.

Can you make it work conditional to the email being supplied?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Email verification is now enabled, and is required for registration of new accounts. Registered users can use email verification to recover lost accounts, also moderators can help if no email was ever registered. Thanks to those who helped fix the issues (particularly with Chobby fully superceding SWL) that preventing this from happening sooner.

SpringLobby 0.268 supports the new bridging interface; it shows who is present on linked Discord channels from within the lobby server.

In addition, several legacy compatibility flags are no longer part of the lobby protocol. Lobby developers should check the protocol documentation in the usual place, which has been updated to reflect the changes. Thanks to everyone who updated their infra projects to make this cleanup possible!
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

joshmartini85Today at 12:59 AM
Yeah, it does not let me do it.
Ha, ha.
I'm sure I already signed up but tells me my account is invalid.
Well they say you should start as you mean to go on, so having shit randomnly fail is a good insight into Spring culture. :lol:
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

FLOZi wrote: 24 May 2020, 02:02 Well they say you should start as you mean to go on, so having shit randomnly fail is a good insight into Spring culture. :lol:
I don't know what you want to say, but from server.log:
2020-05-24 02:01:52 INFO Protocol._SendLoginInfo:1040 [7971] <Josh85> logged in (access=user).
(the used email address indicates tha you are talking about the user with the account Josh85)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

He made a new account, which then worked.

I'd been fighting with SpringLobby for over an hour trying to get it to update modoptions.lua from an sdd (never did succeed).

Then I tried to help him try out 1 game. Just 1 round of 1 game.

It was absolute agony. Spring failed at pretty much every step. :(

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... auer-2.jpg
Spring's barrier to entry, 2020 (Colorized).
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

FLOZi wrote: 24 May 2020, 10:53 I'd been fighting with SpringLobby for over an hour trying to get it to update modoptions.lua from an sdd (never did succeed).
i guess because its double cached? unitsync caches some stuff, so does springlobby too.

exit springlobby, delete ~/.springlobby/cache + ~/.spring/cache or ~/.config/spring/cache, start it + see the changes.

i guess the main issue here is, that unitsync doesn't detect the change which makes springlobby also use the cache file.

spring's stuff mostly works as long as as its usual.

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”