Upcoming lobby server updates - Page 3

Upcoming lobby server updates

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Upcoming lobby server updates

Post by FLOZi »

abma wrote: 24 May 2020, 11:06
FLOZi wrote: 24 May 2020, 10:53 I'd been fighting with SpringLobby for over an hour trying to get it to update modoptions.lua from an sdd (never did succeed).
i guess because its double cached? unitsync caches some stuff, so does springlobby too.

exit springlobby, delete ~/.springlobby/cache + ~/.spring/cache or ~/.config/spring/cache, start it + see the changes.

i guess the main issue here is, that unitsync doesn't detect the change which makes springlobby also use the cache file.
Yeah I deleted both user/archivecache and the spring one and the lobby one.

spring's stuff mostly works as long as as its usual.
I'm afraid it doesn't, and we really need to face up to this fact and address it, or we may as well delete this website.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

FLOZi wrote: 24 May 2020, 02:02
joshmartini85Today at 12:59 AM
Yeah, it does not let me do it.
Ha, ha.
I'm sure I already signed up but tells me my account is invalid.
The server logs show that this guy had Springlobby open (which created a socket connection to the server) two days previous - but no attempt was made to create an account or login. Perhaps opened SL and then used singleplayer mode. When he did try to create an account it worked perfectly.

Afaics unitsync/modoptions issues are unrelated, the updates in this thread were over a year ago and only made tiny changes to unrelated parts of unitsync.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

They are unrelated to josh, but entirely related to my frame of mind when posting. :evil: :oops:
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Silentwings wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 20:45 I'm afraid the real point here is that its not just about you or players of game xyz, who might well (at least, in the short term, before hardware progression catches up with you) subsist on with zero work / changes.

The point is that engine devs usually provide the hardest work and ask for nothing back, but this time they do need something back, and they are confident that it directly affects the survival of the whole project.
It's always about the players. We do not live in communism so the market decides. Btw, now that there has been a year since this very important change for engine dev, where is the new version? I can just see the last version is from 2016. Wasn't this change supposed to help development?
103 breaks compatibility with bos scripts and fixing it would require us to manually compile 750 scripts
Since both BA & TechA rely on bos scripts, and have certainly not manually edited and recompiled each individual script, I don't believe this. If there is a degree of truth inside it somewhere, please explain - presumably BA/TechA/others already found a way to do whatever you're concerned about.
[/quote]
103 changes the parameters of the killed function, which need a fix and a subsequent recompilation to be made. I don't see how this could be automated. That's why nobody has done any work on xta for some years.
absence of desyncs, because the path cache
Lobbys with multi-engine support are required since years ago, no issue here.
[/quote]
Not multi-engine. Multi-game. Game has also a cache, and this is not engine-specific. It has been put that this could cause desyncs.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

sprunk wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 21:14
Silentwings wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 20:45
103 breaks compatibility with bos scripts and fixing it would require us to manually compile 750 scripts
Since both BA & TechA rely on bos scripts, and have certainly not manually compiled each individual script, I don't believe this. If there is a degree of truth inside it somewhere, please explain
Not `.bos` compatibility per se (the change affects all scripts including Lua), but the engine now requies `AimWeapon` to be defined for `onlyForward` weapons, which previously was not needed and ignored even if present. See https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... ac73fcad7b

The fix is trivial (ZK example https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K/com ... 8b807de7b6 ) but does mean some scripts need to be modified and recompiled. It should only affect a handful of units like crawling bombs though (anything that has a turret should be kosher). Some weapons are also still exempt (for example `AircraftBomb` still doesn't seem to require `AimWeapon`, though if you're doing a mass fix it's probably a good idea to implement it anyway). Grepping for the lack of `AimWeapon` (and if your scripts are ancient enough, `Aim{Primary,Secondary,Tertiary}` which serve the same role) in your scripts should filter most units out.
Not that one. I'm talking about changed syntax in the killed animation. Something that it needs to return false explicitly instead of just returningat the end. Actually I don't remember exactly anymore but something like this. It's just somebody with a OCD that had to touch that part of the code.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

So Ares is right and this whole fucking car crash was avoidable and dumb from the start.

Tell me why I shouldn't just delete this whole forum and be done with you all, utterly pathetic.

Change minimum version to 101.

edit: I'm sorry, this was uncalled for.
Last edited by FLOZi on 21 Jun 2020, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

FLOZi wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 00:37 Tell me why I shouldn't just delete this whole forum and be done with you all, utterly pathetic.
because you're a serious person who did a lot of great stuff in the spring community.

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”