infologs.springrts.com

infologs.springrts.com

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

gajop

infologs.springrts.com

Post by gajop »

What's the status of the service for uploading infologs? https://springrts.com/wiki/Infolog.txt# ... by_lobbies
It seems down, and the github project hasn't been updated in five years. If there's no alternative can this be fixed and made running again? Is anyone willing to take up the task?
If there is an alternative, and you know of it, please update the wiki.
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: infologs.springrts.com

Post by Jools »

Would be nice to have infologs uploaded when something goes wrong. I think that's doable with autohosts and with the games.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Yep, needs a simple API and website GUI for manual uploads and browsing.
Maybe even some sort of scheduler that sends daily/weekly mails to game devs, but I don't want to ask too much.
Problem is I'm already busy with too many other projects so someone else would have to take this.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Spring could send them automatically to the replay site which could thrn match them onto previous games, as well as keep a big long list, with auto-deletion after 30 days or suchlike.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Is this still possible? dansan?
I've noticed we have http://replays.springrts.com/upload/ , but it's only for uploading demos.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yes, it' s possible. But do we want all infologs uploaded or only when autohost detects a desync or something else that fails. Also all players' infologs or just the autohost's one?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Maybe it could be done on demand: add a button the the game menu that says "send infolog". I wonder if this could not be completely handled by the games or maybe the engine, somewhere in the menu?

I think it would be better to do some kind of filtering instead of just sending everything. First, it's more transparent: people like to know what their computer is doing. Secondly, the quality of infologs uploaded gets better, and less need of searching or sorting. Humans still know better when something needs to be looked at than the computer.

Also see this: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=33219
gajop

Post by gajop »

I'm not talking about how it should be uploaded (there are many things to consider there).
This thread is about having a service where it can be uploaded at (either manually or automatically).
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yes, but users can already attach files to bugtrackers that many games have. Isn't that almost the same as going to a url and uploading the infolog + you get a subject that's relevant to some error.

I think the biggest issue that many don't bother to upload infologs is that they can't find them easily.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

@Jools, I'm guessing gajop is (maybe?) thinking about writing some lua that would upload the infologs; but first, he wants to know if there is a service that exists to upload them to.
Whether or not that's the case, you're focusing on the wrong aspect.

It would be nice if infologs were intertwined with the replay site, with it's pre-existing filtering for users and battles. It would make it easy to find the most recent battle for a user and assume that's the infolog to look at (when they have problems). Plus you could get a bunch of other information at a glance, like map, game, etc..

Maybe this 'code' could upload to pastebin and just attach the link to the replay site somehow for temporary viewing? Then there wouldn't be countless unneeded logs.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

@Funken: have you looked at the replay site recently? There is already a link to map and game right there.

Imo no idea to upload a lot of infologs for no reason: they also can contain potentially private data, so even better to have users upload them manually.

The pastebin option would be a nice idea maybe. But i don't see why we have to create some artificial frontier between whether to upload, how to upload and where to upload. They are all integrated questions.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

For the sake of mentioning it:

Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Jools wrote:@Funken: have you looked at the replay site recently? There is already a link to map and game right there.
I didn't mean those should be added; I meant that they would be useful, as they are already there; and it would be nice if besides game and map, it could have infolog (lua could parse out any potentially private info), regardless of how it was uploaded (because that's not the focus)
Forboding Angel wrote:For the sake of mentioning it:
That's pretty useful. Does it just provide the user with the URL of the pastebin (to give to dev) or is that handled some other way?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

That's what I meant by integrating it in game or lobby (or engine). User button like that.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It gets used pretty extensively.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

forb - you dont get it - this is sort of a madmax convention- the idea is to show up with postapocalyptic brokken stuff, not with working things ;)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Uploading a infolog file additionally to the demofile would be no problem, just a few additional lines of code in the upload script and the website code.
Don't worry about disk space. Compared to the demofiles and map images, the infologs wouldn't matter at all.

I don't see a privacy problem, because the demofile already contains all user messages that are written in the infolog. I would suggest however, to not let search engines index them.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Well, it contains info about user's operating system, ip-address, user account name (and location of My Documents folder), time and date he has played an online rts game. Etc.

Now, I don't suppose anyone plays games during work or anything like that, but if we take a non-assuming stance, I'm sure it's not good to build an online database with that information.

I'm not saying no to this idea though: I'm saying we should discuss it.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

dansan wrote:just a few additional lines of code in the upload script
I think it's not quite as simple as that, because the upload script runs on the host, which is typically Spring dedicated (and so doesn't even execute the simulation & can't provide a useful infolog). What would be most useful for debugging purposes would be infologs from users; they are also the only record of errors from users unsynced code.

They can be sent using a widget, but thats not great since if Spring crashes I can't see a way to guarantee that the stacktrace is sent by the widget after the crash occurs. So probably it has to be sent from the lobby client (automatically or at request of user) and then the replay site would have to do some kind of sorting to match them onto games.
dansan wrote:I don't see a privacy problem, because the demofile already contains all user messages that are written in the infolog
I think there is a very minor one - afaics the only privacy issue (above what is already in the demofile) is that infolog contains the path of the users Spring datadir, which sometimes contains the name of their windows/linux user account. Ofc it's easily hidden - this is best done by the lobby before upload, since the lobby knows the Spring datadir.

Imo it would be sensible to have a cap on the size of infolog sent/accepted, or just truncate, since they might contain a tonne of error spam or debug print spam, if they were e.g. infologs that were from game devs dev-ing.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Silentwings wrote:... sometimes contains the name of their windows/linux user account. Ofc it's easily hidden ...
But at the same time, anyone with access to see the screen would be able to see the name of the account anyway.

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”