Weblobby isn't recognizing my Spring install

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Weblobby isn't recognizing my Spring install (Ubuntu).
Looked around and couldn't find a way to config the lobby to use the current instalation of SpringRTS.

Is there any way around this or will I need to download the engine from the Lobby?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Weblobby isn't recognizing my Spring install

Post by CarRepairer »

Weblobby (like several others) downloads portable builds of the engine. It places them in springhome/weblobby/engine. It is part of a new wave of spring lobby clients allow you to forego the requirement of installing spring beforehand and just open the client and it will download everything you need.

Unfortunately if you're joining a ZK game or any host that uses spring 91, there is the issue that there are no server builds of that version for Linux. See the help tab in Weblobby for static builds you can download manually. Try joining a BA game that uses engine 94.1 and you should see it download the engine (albeit without a progress meter in the download bar).
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

But I already have an Engine instalation (94.1, I think). Is there no way to have the WebLobby not have to download an engine for itself and use the one I already have installed?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Not that I know of.
Ideally it should replace the global spring install with local static builds which should be more manageable.
But as ZK reverted back to 91 you will need to wait a bit longer for that...
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

making a symlink in ~/.spring/weblobby/engines could work reasonably well i think.
gajop

Post by gajop »

In the best case scenario you would need a couple of symlinks (for spring executable, libs and other stuff), and there's no guarantee it would work.
Seems hacky.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Use symlinks. Super easy and works perfectly.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Forboding Angel wrote:Use symlinks. Super easy and works perfectly.
Symlinks sounded to me like a very ugly work-around. Have you actually tried it successfully? What symlinks have you created?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I use symlinks for everything. Symlinks are like redirects on websites. For example, clan-sy.com or whatever it was forwarding to springrts.com

It's like a pointer.

My biggest thing is I use a symlink which points to a separate drive for documents/my games/spring

I use symlinks for new engine version testing, and I use subst (assign a folder to a drive letter) about as much as I use symlinks.

Here is an example of one of my latest symlinks:
MKLINK /d "H:\My Games\Spring\mods\spring-features.sdd" "H:\My Games\Spring\mods\Spring Features\spring-features.sdd"

I also have a symlink that points spring/games to spring/mods so that spring 95 won't cause me any trouble.

Symlinks on windows are easy to make. In this case, you want to make my documents/my games/spring/weblobby/engine

point to Documents\My Games\Spring\engine

Pfft, 2ez.

Ok, first, delete the engine folder from the weblobby folder.

Then click start and type in cmd (don't press enter yet), right click on cmd.exe and choose "run as administrator".

Now, for me, the way I would make that symlink would be to use this command:

Code: Select all

MKLINK /d "C:\Users\Forboding Angel\Documents\My Games\Spring\weblobby\engine" "C:\Users\Forboding Angel\Documents\My Games\Spring\engine"
That way, spring/weblobby/engine and spring/engine are the exact same location.

I assume you know to substitute correct drive letters and username, etc ;p
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

In all the time we're posting in this thread, you could have instead just let weblobby download the portable of 94.1 which goes into ~/.spring/weblobby/engine/94.1. It's under 20mb. Why do you need so badly for it to use your existing download? The new setup is there so users don't have to install spring again, saving them time. It will still use your settings in ~/.spring/springsettings.cfg and it will read your maps and games in there too. Everything will work as it did before.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

I thought it was something like 100 MBs. And I also didn't liked the idea of multiple version floating around whatever.

Guess I'll give it a try, though.
Vermind

Post by Vermind »

Hi,
I did this to make my Spring 91.0 (a month ago) recognized by Weblobby:

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/.spring/weblobby/engines/91.0
cd ~/.spring/weblobby/engines/91.0
cp /usr/games/spring .
cp -r /usr/lib/spring/* .
cp -r /usr/share/games/spring/* .
After that press reload on the weblobby gui and you should have the engine available. Change 91.0 to 94.1 in the commands above if that is what you have installed on your system.

This leaves you with two versions of spring, of course: the one installed system-wide and the one you now have in your .spring/weblobby/engines. However, if you use other lobbies, you can just point them at the one in engines and remove the system-wide install. System-wide installs are also more of a hassle when upgrades happen because if upgrades are not synced with the Spring master server, you will not be able to join games. Weblobby downloads new versions alongside old ones, so using other lobbies you only need to change the spring path a bit and be done with it.

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”