Tasclient doesn't pay attention to spring isolated

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

This may be intentional, but just thought I'd mention it.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Re: Tasclient doesn't pay attention to spring isolated

Post by Satirik »

don't even know what it is ...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Tasclient doesn't pay attention to spring isolated

Post by Forboding Angel »

Oh, it's a environment variable that you set ( set SPRING_ISOLATED=1 )

Basically it confines unitsync to only work within the folder it resides within (how spring used to work before it started looking for my documents/my games/spring )

It's generally for use with portable spring installs like on a usb drive or if you're a dev testing a bunch of different spring installs, you can set isolated so that they don't interfere with one another. Other gamedevs such as myself use it so that I can distribute evo on desura and it stays only within it's install dir, so if the user happens to already have spring or zk, etc installed, the evo install won't mess with the other installs and vice versa.

There is also a new environment variable that allows you to point where spring (and by extension, the lobby) writes data. Can't remember what the name of the var is, check the dev forum.

This means that instead of only having the option of either isolated, or open floodgates (reading my documents), you could point it towards "<Userfolder>/my game" for example.

Pretty powerful stuff really, but the lobby really should pay attention to whether those variables are set, if at all possible.

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”