I am confused - Page 2

I am confused

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Neddie
Community Lead

Re: I am confused

Post by Neddie »

JAZCASH wrote:
neddiedrow wrote:So, what is wrong with SpringLobby? If you explain what is wrong it might be addressed.
It just feels wrong to use it. Makes me feel dirteh.
If nobody gives real feedback we can't fix that. Actually, if the problem is with you, rather than the lobby, you need to fix it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

• Sound is broken due to OpenAL issues
  • Onstartup all channels are flagged as having updates because of the MOTD, yet you do not know if this si why, or if someone has said something, requiring you to manually go through every single channel to check
  • Chat logs are turned off by default
  • It steals input focus of other programs and of spring itself when a PM is recieved
  • Singleplayer games have a habit of automatically declaring the player the winner as soon as the game starts
  • Random freezes
  • It doesnt like spring downloader downloading content while its also attempting to grab the content ( even if it has failed)
  • Grabbing maps via the built in downloader does not update the synx status in battles unless you goto tool->reload
  • trying to check for updates only does something if there is an update, there's no progress indicator or 'there are no updates' box so you dont know if it is actually doing anything
  • Sometimes if you loose connection, the reconnect or next server in the list box has no text in it and its impossible to click on any button
  • Sometimes when the above mentioned box is in view, it will attempt to reconnect again despite the user not having put input in yet, causing a potential second box, and a third and a fourth, etc etc
  • Mods in singleplayer are nto listed alphabetically
  • Channels in the drop down menu on the far right are not listed alphabetically
  • saying 'wAFfles' notifies me that my name was said, no combination of surrounding spaces has managed to fix this
  • In single player I cannot see the names of factions, which means for non *A mods it can become confusing, especially when the logo becomes a number in a box. What is race '2'?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

neddiedrow wrote: Actually, if the problem is with you, rather than the lobby, you need to fix it.
Can't you fix it? I'm not very good at self-treatment.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

AF wrote:
  • Sound is broken due to OpenAL issues
  • Onstartup all channels are flagged as having updates because of the MOTD, yet you do not know if this si why, or if someone has said something, requiring you to manually go through every single channel to check
  • Chat logs are turned off by default
  • It steals input focus of other programs and of spring itself when a PM is recieved
  • Singleplayer games have a habit of automatically declaring the player the winner as soon as the game starts
  • Random freezes
  • It doesnt like spring downloader downloading content while its also attempting to grab the content ( even if it has failed)
  • Grabbing maps via the built in downloader does not update the synx status in battles unless you goto tool->reload
  • trying to check for updates only does something if there is an update, there's no progress indicator or 'there are no updates' box so you dont know if it is actually doing anything
  • Sometimes if you loose connection, the reconnect or next server in the list box has no text in it and its impossible to click on any button
  • Sometimes when the above mentioned box is in view, it will attempt to reconnect again despite the user not having put input in yet, causing a potential second box, and a third and a fourth, etc etc
  • Mods in singleplayer are nto listed alphabetically
  • Channels in the drop down menu on the far right are not listed alphabetically
  • saying 'wAFfles' notifies me that my name was said, no combination of surrounding spaces has managed to fix this
  • In single player I cannot see the names of factions, which means for non *A mods it can become confusing, especially when the logo becomes a number in a box. What is race '2'?
also, mine crashes whenever it attempts to springdownloader a map, and the battle lobby often appears in a window 200 pixels square that cant be made larger by any means, not to mention all the icons look cartoony and wank, the battlelobby is re-arranged from TASclient in a way engineered to look terrible and it randomly fails to work on 2/3 of my computers.

TASclient is great because it is minimalist and it works just fine, most the time
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

You know... Starcraft 2 is coming out soon.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

AF wrote:[*]Onstartup all channels are flagged as having updates because of the MOTD, yet you do not know if this si why, or if someone has said something, requiring you to manually go through every single channel to check
Not for me.
[*]Chat logs are turned off by default
And that shouldn't change.
[*]It steals input focus of other programs and of spring itself when a PM is recieved
Not for me. But the popup can be annoying when you are in game.
[*]Singleplayer games have a habit of automatically declaring the player the winner as soon as the game starts
SL warns you when you start a game without an opponent.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I know it warns you but in this case I did have an opponent.

TASClient isnt too great, but the one defining feature it has which kicks all the other lobbies asses? It works
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

SL works for me. Only problem I have is it crashes pretty often when I'm in the replay list. Everything else works exactly as it should.
Wolfword

Post by Wolfword »

whoa, Whoa WHOA...

Let me explain a few things:

-IM NOT ARGH
-I dont know Argh (In real life)
-Wow, starcraft 2... I should give it a try (I hate it altought)
-Springlobby is not good for me cause of the reasons that AF said
-TASClient now works and seems AWESOME!!!
-QTLobby???? Well, i will seek for it
-Spring doesnt fails. In fact, is the best free RTS Engine around

Hey, How did you get to the weird conclusion that Im Argh as a noob?

EDIT: Yes, my first language is spanish (That┬┤s why I commited the question mark mistake)
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Wolfword wrote:TASClient now works and seems AWESOME!!!
z0mg add it to the installer already pplz

dont listen to that newb Satirik, I think all da effort he put in to creating this awesome lobby drained his sanity.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Lest we not forget that satirik did not create tasclient, he is merely a maintainer.

Betalord created tasclient
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

cool so why the hell isn't in the installer? who cares what crazy things that loser said

contact betalord if you really must :|
Wolfword

Post by Wolfword »

I think that from now on, TASClient should be packed with Spring

Not SL
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Wolfword wrote:I think that from now on, TASClient should be packed with Spring

Not SL
From now on? It's been that way for years up until recently.

Seriously Satirik, don't be stupid. Your client is better than anything else atm and it should be included in the installer simply for the newbs sakes.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Wolfword wrote:I am confused
No, You're Wolfword.
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

You guys can whine and beg all you want, but its not gonna happen. Satrik had his reasons and to me they are still valid. The links on the website. If you want the lobby client you can go get it.
ScarySquirrel

Post by ScarySquirrel »

Springlobby's Single Player rocks, and it has some great UI for maps.
SpringDownloader's "multiplayer" is great for noobs* (i. e. they can host now). I had to explain nothing for joining games to my hapless victim back east who I have test this stuff.
TASClient combined with SpringDownloader gives rock-solid reliability.

All have their advantages. Because I have daisychained myself behind a wall of routerness, I use SPringDownloader to host internet games. I use TASClient for local games. I use SpringLobby for Spnigle play.r.
If there was a CLI, I would probably use it too, for automating the many routine multiplayer takss, like joinmygame and profanity spam.

<.<

Is there a CLI?

*i.e. the kind of people who rarely see the last three letters of file names in their OS, know what they mean, or even know whether they have VIsta, XP, or Win7.
ScarySquirrel

SC2

Post by ScarySquirrel »

bobthedinosaur wrote:You know... Starcraft 2 is coming out soon.
Hehe I have "access" to someone's beta account.
Wolfword

Post by Wolfword »

BTW, I couldn't play Starcraft II. My Super Laptop would not run it

480 MB RAM
60 GB Hard Disk
1-2 GHZ 5400 SATA
32 MB Graphics
1 AMD Sempron Core

A SUPER COMPUTER
Neddie
Community Lead