TASClient - Page 2

TASClient

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Tobi
Spring Developer

Re: TASClient

Post by Tobi »

I've put some new version in the installer (that includes current installer.) I think it's the TASClient.exe that is in the archive you linked too.

I've no easy way to test it so test it now (and also after each RC of course) or blame yourself if it doesn't work on next release.

Also it would be nice if in the future someone actually TESTS TASClient in the installer before the release, instead of wasting 10x more time raging and whining and spreading blatant lies about it (yes I'm looking at you zwzsg) about an old version just after the release.

Did I mention already that someone should test TASClient in the installer?

One more thing, someone who uses it regularly should test TASClient before each release.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

calm down tobi,

send me the installer before u release it and ill test it :)
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

it was publicly available for download from the news thread for a week
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

I'm still using Windows-xp 32 SP-3

TASClientLatest.7z 23-Aug-2009 07:16 4.4M
This is the client I use from the link posted above, which I'm assuming is the last release because it supports the 3d preview of maps.

Even while TASC gives me a crash after paging through the maps cache before the lobby opens up, it still runs just fine and launches games perfectly

"Access violation at address 004768AA in module 'TASClient.exe'. Read of address 00000198."

This error reads after it says finalizing in the small splash screen box.

TASC also hangs and gives me another error after I close it down, but I'll still use it as long as it works.

Spring lobby needs to either step up and offer as much as the TASC does, or be removed instead of crammed down our throats.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

MR.D wrote:crammed down our throats.
explain me how SL is being forced on you
Hacked

Post by Hacked »

EDIT: nvm
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

MR.D wrote:Spring lobby needs to either step up and offer as much as the TASC does, or be removed instead of crammed down our throats.
1) reality check much?
2) what do you feel is missing? Something besides desgin choice and not being a 1:1 clone?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

MR.D wrote:Spring lobby needs to either step up and offer as much as the TASC does, or be removed instead of crammed down our throats.
If there's anyone who has ever crammed down SL through your throat, it's Satirik.

In the installer you can choose what you want so nothing is crammed down your throat. TASClient is not the default in the installer anymore because Satirik does not want this.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Its the second time its been pretty much forced on us.

First through a sneaky autoupdate for TASC which replaced TASC with spring lobby in an unstable and pretty sad state of functionality.

Second now, with a broken version of TASC that can't even load due to being an old outdated version.

SpringLobby doesn't have the following.

No themed skins to change over all appearance to suit the user.

It doesn't allow for multiple open windows but instead tabs all crammed together making a cluttered mess.

It isn't visually good looking with buttons and icons that are well pronounced and clean.

Its slow to load, and kinda chugs along when loading into a battle screen or opening the download page, as where TASC is fast.

If anything SpringLobby is the clone, and doesn't offer anything that TASC doesn't already have.

I'm sorry if that hurts the Dev's feelings, but until it offers the same features and functionality of TASC I won't be using SpringLobby anytime soon unless it gets forced.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

devs' feelings are only hurt by a) not reading the thread and b) not testing the release candidates. TASClient users are pretty good at b) and now seem to do very well at a), apparently.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

MR.D wrote:Second now, with a broken version of TASC that can't even load due to being an old outdated version.
Because you didn't test the release candidate.

Let me quote myself, since you are one of those users who doesn't read the thread:
Tobi wrote:I've put some new version in the installer (that includes current installer.) I think it's the TASClient.exe that is in the archive you linked too.

I've no easy way to test it so test it now (and also after each RC of course) or blame yourself if it doesn't work on next release.

Also it would be nice if in the future someone actually TESTS TASClient in the installer before the release, instead of wasting 10x more time raging and whining and spreading blatant lies about it (yes I'm looking at you zwzsg) about an old version just after the release.

Did I mention already that someone should test TASClient in the installer?

One more thing, someone who uses it regularly should test TASClient before each release.
I've highlighted the key parts in case you still have difficulty reading it.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

I'm not a tester, thats you guy's job.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

wait, wait, wait. it's not our _job_. this is open source, if you care about something, you do it.
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

imbaczek wrote:wait, wait, wait. it's not our _job_. this is open source, if you care about something, you do it.
i care about stuffz gimme access to all coding and stuff plz! ill add extra numbers n crap 4 u guiz

also i would like 'developer' next to my name :twisted:
smoth

Post by smoth »

seriously, is there really someone this stupid or is someone playing a joke on us?
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

MR.D wrote:I'm not a tester, thats you guy's job.
I tested springlobby before release.
Petah

Post by Petah »

For one, don't get too angry plz.....

And @ Tobi, I did test TASClient with the Spring RC, sadly I didn't report it not working because for one it had been like that for a while now so I presumed everybody knew, and two I didn't know there was an updated version that 'worked'.

And back to my main point when making this thread, even though TASClient 'works' now, it doesn't work anywhere near as good as it used to. It crashes, runs slowly and causes errors over silly little things. All I want is TAClient 0.47 that works with the latest Spring and ill be happy.

And about SL, I agree with others that its biggest downfalls are its speed, its tabbed interface and lack of customization ability. However it has at least one nice 'ish' features, the single player interface.
Also I did feel like it was kinda forced on us when the unitsync.dll was changed and caused TASClient to stop working instead of deprecating its functionality gracefully. This forced people to use a lobby client that worked which SL was the only viable option.

QT Lobby looks good, all it needs is a bit more stability.

Now stop turning this into a flame war.... :evil:
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Petah wrote:Also I did feel like it was kinda forced on us when the unitsync.dll was changed and caused TASClient to stop working instead of deprecating its functionality gracefully. This forced people to use a lobby client that worked which SL was the only viable option.
Also I did feel like you have no clue what you are talking about.
It was deprecated during the whole 0.79 release.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

and there's no reason to make a failed load for a function from a library fatal to the entire app.
Petah

Post by Petah »

Auswaschbar wrote:Also I did feel like you have no clue what you are talking about.
It was deprecated during the whole 0.79 release.

That is not deprecating gracefully, I mean come on you completely remove a commonly used feature used in only a 0.01 of a release.

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”