Micro: Soldier micro = good, Worker micro = bad - Page 2

Micro: Soldier micro = good, Worker micro = bad

A fresh perspective on battle for control of Earth, brought to you by Sanada and Snoop.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Pxtl

Re: Micro: Soldier micro = good, Worker micro = bad

Post by Pxtl »

yanom wrote:
Pxtl wrote:Make morphing a longer operation. It's counterintuitive, but the *easier and more convenient* an operation is, the more likely you'll have to micro.

Easy decisions are small ones. Small, frequent decisions are micromanagement. By making the decision hard and expensive (and thus rare), you convert micromanagement into management.

Make the relocation of a resource depot more expensive
Ok, but then we must make resources clumpier,
so that depots dont have to move so much. I think i know where in the lua gadgets this is (tp_resourcespawner.lua)
Why not just speed up the harvesters so one depot can handle harvesting over a larger area? Increase the amount of time it takes to actually do the harvesting operation once they've arrived at the minerals and the amount of time it takes to deposit the minerals at the drop-off so they spend proportionately less time in transit, making the distance to the dropoff less significant.
yanom

Post by yanom »

ok, many suggestions here on the rock mining. But can we get rid of energy please? It seems like a useless resource, there's no "Energy Economy" to manage in CT* like there is in TA-based games. This was brought up once before, can we do it? It will also make my life with the drone AI tinkering sooo much easier.

*unless we add metalmakers.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Energy is used to keep players in check, to help limit explosive expansion into the stronger units. It plays a minor role, but it plays a role. I would hate to reduce CT to a single-resource game.

I would need a pretty good reason to get rid of energy.
yanom

Post by yanom »

Ok, we can keep energy. But, can we bunch up the rocks more?

(Think starcraft here. Clusters of rocks where you make depots and theres lots of resource short distance from depot)
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

What map(s) do you play on yanom?
yanom

Post by yanom »

smaller ones, like eytebit gorge and eureaka. Big maps don't feel good for conflict terra asmuch as the smaller ones for some reason.
knorke

Post by knorke »

yanom wrote:Ok, so the lua file that defines the rocks is in the map archive?
in the map archive or in the mapconfigs\ folder of the CT game, both works.
Energy is used to keep players in check, to help limit explosive expansion into the stronger units.
should be a real supply system ala starcraft/age of empires then.
yanom

Post by yanom »

knorke wrote:
sanada wrote:Energy is used to keep players in check, to help limit explosive expansion into the stronger units.
should be a real supply system ala starcraft/age of empires then.
yes. it should.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

A proper supply system would be nice, yes. However, it wouldn't guarantee the removal of Energy just yet. I maintain my statement of not wanting to make CT a game with a single resource.

There's already been a discussion about energy, found here: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 90&start=0

In skimming over the thread to try and refresh my memory, it looks like similar ideas were discussed there and we ultimately fell onto "leaving it the way it is" due to a lack of outstanding ideas, and the fact that it's easy and we're lazy.
yanom

Post by yanom »

ok. I have another economy idea though:

Workers could be able to guard resource depots, and they would automatically mine the rocks nearest to the resource depot, and they would always return their mined ore to the depot they were guarding. Then, if you moved the depot, the miners would follow it to it's new location and mine over there. Currently if you take away their depot they kinda scatter across the map and become target practice for the enemy.

Return to “Conflict Terra”