Texturing a unit will get you into a play test!

A fresh perspective on battle for control of Earth, brought to you by Sanada and Snoop.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

If you texture a unit you can get into a play test. So if you wanted to see how the game was coming along and actually wanted to help, texture a unit. Just be sure to call dibs on what unit you are going to texture.

THE BAD NEWS
Estimates are putting the PN done sometime in late June. The creator of the PN (me) has a very difficult time with photoshop/gimp. Which makes texturing a slow slow process.

THE GOOD NEWS
Scripting and animating the PN actually takes a relativity small time compared to texturing. Textures for CT are very simple, and I imagine for anyone who knows there way around Photoshop, easy to create. I mean the PN units use white, black, two shades of gray, and the occasional PN stamped somewhere on it.

So if people who are interested and want to see the game done faster. Post here please and i will supply you with more details.
Last edited by oksnoop2 on 25 Apr 2010, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Help me texture the PN

Post by KaiserJ »

well, its a heroic effort. lets hear some numbers! how many left to texture?

i would suggest dropping an example of a texture and a screenshot of said texture applied to a model for a subjective critique on here (if you'd like one)

i feel like im pretty speedy these days with texturing, i guess i'll give you an quick rundown of my process and see if you can glean anything of note.

-3d max-
once my model is finished and unwrapped, i use the "texporter" plugin to create a texture colored by face normals, at the size i want my final texture (512x512 for instance)

once i have the "texporter image" i apply it to my model as a material and set the self-illumination of the texture to 100 in order to remove shadows and other unwanted complications

-fireworks-
i use the vector path tool to trace around the edges of the texporter image, "filling in" the colored boxes with a basic panel color. i try to go one pixel outside of the texporter boxes to prevent my edges bleeding, but its not an exact science... check the texture on the model often to make sure you're getting the results you want. i prefer using vector paths to drawing a bitmap directly because instead of having to erase things when i make a mistake, i can just drag vertices around and resize

once i have all of a "set" of features with a solid fill (lets say... armored panels) then i put them together on a layer and apply effects to them as a group. that's the nice thing about fireworks, the effects are super fast to apply and manipulate

anyways just a quick graphic will make it easier to explain...

1st panel is just the flat textures. the different colors of grey are on different layers; each is a vector object

2nd panel uses a few inner and outer glow effects to give the appearance of dimension to the panels

3rd panel uses a few more complicated techniques;
-first i select the basic panels i want to enhance and copypaste them in place on a new layer
-i drew lines using the pen tool over top of the new layer, combined the drawn lines using "combine paths"
-next used "punch paths" with the lines and the box selected to cut up the boxes
-used "inset path" to shrink the top layer back after the cut to give a panelled effect

4th panel i applied tiling metal textures to the panels. it's easy when you have each "type" of face in its own layer, so if i wanted to change the blue-ish metal to something else, i merely click once on the layer to select all shapes of that type and change the texture.

is this the sort of suggestion you can use? paths and glows and that sort of thing are doable in photoshop IIRC, i just dont know the exact process.

and obviously this was only 4 steps... you could make it a million steps if you wanted to make a really detailed texture

and the nice thing is that you can just copy and apply effects... go back to the texture you've finished and copy the styles for the next one; there is a lot of re-using involved (which saves you time)
Attachments
:P
:P
pnsuggest.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 3258 times
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Hmm, I never thought of applying inner glow...
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

what are you dudes using to maek models
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

We use Wings.

Snoop had to speed off to a family dinner before he could reply, so I'm going to take the helm in his place for an immediate response. It looks like maybe he wasn't clear, so I'm going to try and clear things up.

Snoop was asking for people to actually make some textures for him. The level of quality for our textures is, as I imagine everyone's noticed, very low, especially those for the PN. As he said, 4 colors and a PN stamp somewhere on it are the guidelines. Reason for this is that he has a hard time getting them done, and indeed getting them done quickly. I help when I can, but I have my own faction to work on and occasionally make more units for.

I don't think even Snoop knows the total unit count, but he predicted ~90 more.

By the way, thanks for that big post on your process. I'm afraid our low quality textures are an example of the extent of my artistic capabilities, but maybe I can someday spice them up with some of the things you suggested.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

As for what's left to do, check the PN progress page. You may see lots of white but i can bust out wings models pretty quickly, it's this texturing business that's put the big slowdown on me. I will make a clearer chart here soon.
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

well i have no experience in modeling & texturing nor do i know how 2 work any software related to these subjects...

if you are willing to spellout a rather simple guide and a set of clear and straightforward instructions i'am more than willing to help(i will try and put in the time as well....)

i don't know how usable my stuff will be, nor am i interested in taking(any)credit for your mod
ultrasonicsite

Post by ultrasonicsite »

I can help model and texture, mostly model, but this will give me an opportunity to sharpen my texturing skills. I can use Blender3D and Wings3D (But it's a demo though right? So how would that work?)
Last edited by ultrasonicsite on 22 Apr 2010, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

also, plz un-mod me....untill i have somestuff done first...
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

nightcold wrote:also, plz un-mod me....untill i have somestuff done first...
What do you mean, un-mod? Sorry, just not sure what that means.
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

sorry, wronge call....misstook what the bottem thing ment....(can u remove it????)
ultrasonicsite

Post by ultrasonicsite »

nightcold wrote:sorry, wronge call....misstook what the bottem thing ment....(can u remove it????)
What do you mean? :D
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Texture Flow

Wings

Select whole model in Full Mode.
Click on Combine
Rename to: k__(unitname)__
Click on UV Mapping
Select Whole model in new window.
Switch to Line Mode.
Click on Mark Edges for Cut
Click on Continue  Unfolding
Right click texture area and select Create Texture
Make sure size is 2048 x 2048 (12mb)
Background  Color  White
Draw Edges  Black  Edge Width 0.5
Right click k__(unitname)__ _auv in Outliner
Make External
Save as PNG

Open in Photoshop Or Gimp.

Color. Tips:
Have colors on new layer
Keep colors consistant (use swatches)
Texture all panels that need color (even inside panels)
Save as PSD or XCF (for Gimp users)
Save as PNG  Non-interlaced (Don't change name)
Wings
Right click texture file in Wings  Refresh

Team Colors

Black Layer  Hide
White layer on team panels
Save as PSD
Merge all in Greyscale mode
Save as BMP (no name change)
Seperate objects for animation

Do stuff in upspring
Save, export as 3D Studio (Uncheck Top Option)

DXTBMP
Open PNG
Open folder with arrow on right side, select BMP. (Make sure it's the right one)
Save as Targa with Alpha (Don't change name)
Photoshop Photoshop Or Gimp
Open Targa
Resize to 512 x 512
Save

Send to Oksnoop2 or Sanada

PN Style Guide Lines
Black
White
a1a1a1 PN Light Gray
4e4e4e PN Dark Gray

Place PN in Arial Bold somewhere on the model

I will link to some models shortly.
Last edited by oksnoop2 on 28 Apr 2010, 02:48, edited 3 times in total.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RDPXERTA

Be sure to call dibs on what you decide to texture so none does a double.

If you have questions just ask.
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

quicknote, what do you mean by "make external"

call dibs on light arm vec.....
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

In Wings, you need to turn on the outliner. Go to window, it's to the left of tools, and click outliner, then right click the image file that appears in the outliner and make it external.
ultrasonicsite

Post by ultrasonicsite »

oksnoop2 wrote:In Wings, you need to turn on the outliner. Go to window, it's to the left of tools, and click outliner, then right click the image file that appears in the outliner and make it external.
Do you have MSN?
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

I have yahoo, aim, and gtalk. and mumble
ultrasonicsite

Post by ultrasonicsite »

Everything I don't have :D

Can you do IRC?
oksnoop2