Mentor applications

Mentor applications

aegis

Mentor applications

Post by aegis »

State your qualifications and areas in which you can assist the programmers.

Feel free to submit a new proposal if you have a specific area in which you would like to mentor.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Re: Mentor applications

Post by Tobi »

We have 2 volunteers for mentoring now. (imbaczek and me)

At least one more would be desired so the work doesn't double for the other one if one disappears / is on vacation / etc.

EDIT: the estimated workload is 5h per week per student
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

What does a mentor has to do?
The google docs mention a `mentoring organization`, so do all mentors help all students or should each student have his own mentor?
And what does a mentor has do besides helping the student? Is the per student evaluation written by a single mentor or by the whole organization?
In which way do a mentor has to inform Google, is there just the end evaluation or do we need to write a midterm report etc.?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

I've no experience being a mentor, but I think:
What does a mentor has to do?
Introduce the student to the community, the code, the development process. Help the student out or give pointers when it's needed. Detect when project is heading in wrong direction and steer it back into correct direction. Detect when student is prone to lose motivation. And in general try to guide the student through the GSoC.
The google docs mention a `mentoring organization`, so do all mentors help all students or should each student have his own mentor?
Each student has a single mentor, but (obviously) mentors should collaborate and discuss any problems that may occur.
And what does a mentor has do besides helping the student? Is the per student evaluation written by a single mentor or by the whole organization?
Probably should be written by the mentor and then discussed by all mentors together before submitting it to google.
In which way do a mentor has to inform Google, is there just the end evaluation or do we need to write a midterm report etc.?
There is a midterm report (and payment IIRC) too.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Okay, I am available as a mentor, too.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Great!

Also BrainDamage linked me to some page with advice for mentors: http://code.google.com/p/google-summer- ... forMentors

Return to “New Developer Discussion”