Kaisers Lego Thread - Lego v2 Released - Page 9

Kaisers Lego Thread - Lego v2 Released

Tutorials & Resources For Modellers & Skinners

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

knorke

Re: Kaisers Lego Thread - Lego v2 Released

Post by knorke »

speedboat for you, racecar for me. ok, perfect.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I wish this had existed when I was playing with modding. I was too lazy to texture infinity models.
kalda341

Post by kalda341 »

Can someone upload this to springfiles? The download is incredibly slow and always cuts out half way.
Thanks.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

will upload sometime tonight kalda; and will update this thread when i do

edit: tbh swiftspear if i'd seen mr bobs success using atlased textures to such a large scale, i might never even have attempted this in the first place. but yeah it's a hell of a timesaver
kalda341

Post by kalda341 »

KaiserJ wrote:will upload sometime tonight kalda; and will update this thread when i do

edit: tbh swiftspear if i'd seen mr bobs success using atlased textures to such a large scale, i might never even have attempted this in the first place. but yeah it's a hell of a timesaver
Don't worry about it, it's working now.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

glad to hear it; don't forget "springified textures" http://evolutionrts.info/random/legotextures1-2.7z

thanks again forb!
KiviTheBird

Post by KiviTheBird »

it is really fine idea
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Please sticky this thread, or put it in model resources shits.
knorke

Post by knorke »

added it to
http://springrts.com/wiki/General_Resources#Models

dont really want to move it to resources archive because the thread is still active and wiki is easier to update anyway (everybody can do it)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

What shiny things await us in Lego 3?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

first of all, it would be nice if there was any point in making lego v3 (read - anyone actually used these)
knorke

Post by knorke »

Lego v2 gets used by Evolution RTS and Spring Tanks, so thats 2 games.
If there is a lego 3, it should be something different, ie human and monster parts. (though i have no need for it at the moment)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

lets be honest, legos were made for evo. spring tanks are like 5-6 models. so basicly 1 extra game is using few parts. not rly much :/
i hope he wont waste his time and make mazecraft (it works like human lego anyway)
knorke

Post by knorke »

yes, i agree.
I would only do it if there is a use for it right now. (like mazecraft)
If others start to use it too, that is fine but it is not worth doing something work intensive like this and hope that "people might use it some day."
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I have plenty of ideas that make Lego a goldmine, but I lack the time and energy to invest in all the bits that come beforehand
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Wombat wrote:lets be honest, legos were made for evo. spring tanks are like 5-6 models. so basicly 1 extra game is using few parts. not rly much :/
i hope he wont waste his time and make mazecraft (it works like human lego anyway)
Wombat, you know better. Lego's were made for remaking the TA units. The first lego unit was an arm flash tank (which btw, is in evo... /give 1 armflash ). Iirc, I was the one that convinced kai to do all the rest of the evo units using lego. You forget, evo is about half lego and half not. Faction2 however, is done entirely in lego.

In a way I'm kinda proud/flattered that you think that kai did them for evo :-)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

hurm, i always assumed legos are made for evo, but he was 'heavly' advertising them as possible ba model remake. anyway, ppl were crying for new models, and when kais gave them legos they started complain that they dont fit, or stuff is barely visible. another reason why he shouldnt bother :D
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

legos started off as just a silly little project of a few parts (v1) that i played around with... realized i could make units super fast, and originally intended to make a third faction for CA/BA etc as a lolsecret project... was making units for my own game but figured i'd share the bits, and BA:R was discussed, and it seemed a perfect fit

i never had really made vehicles before evo, so it was all really a learning experience. faction 2 for evo was discussed, and after a few people started remaking TA units in large sets at a fair pace (beherith etc) i figured i'd use the legos for something else (took me an age to make the set, it would be a shame to waste.) mr bobs units look great, i never thought that atlased units like that would look as nice, or i might have been working on something like that all along instead

even if nobody besides knorke and me ever made units that went into a game with them, i have a feeling that a few rookie modellers downloaded them, mucked about, and possibly went on to create their own units and textures

as it was, i don't feel like i ever "wasted" effort, because every single unit intended for secret faction or BA:R will be rehashed and altered to add to evo second faction

in future? i would probably use a method like what mr bob is doing (massive atlas, but new geometry each model) with a lot of copypasta for guns etc. no reason not to continue with vech lego sets, but in terms of visual quality, they are more suited to engines/games with shadowmapping (loaded some of my tanks into unity for example... the pre-shadowing alone added to the model by the engine made it look so much more legit and awesome)

lego men? a set of human and monster parts? with 32 total character models sharing proportions? with hundreds of swords and weapons and potions sharing an atlas so they can be easily shoehorned into any role for game ideas like RPGs and DOTA and minecrafts and TA-kingdomslike stuff? and an accompanying set of monster-and-chest models? who on earth would be insane enough to attempt to make such a thing... :wink:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Please sticky this thread and put it in the resources section.

Return to “Modelling & Texturing Tutorials & Resources”