Tutorials & Resources For Modellers & Skinners

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

knorke

Re: Kaisers Lego Thread - Lego v2 Released

Post by knorke »

Ah ok.
fucking with it even once is too much :roll:
Needs more out-of-the-box-ness!
Yes, I thought too the red pieces would be teamcolor but appearently not.

You would not happen have a teamcolor version (from evo) would you?
I mean its not that hard to do but a lot of hassle and teamcolor is really important imo. Would surely help people use this kit if it was completly "spring ready"

edit
lol sorry kaiserj, such "negative" post as on new page does not really do your work justice ;)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Karl wrote:also i really like your idea just sucks that wings is quite laggy with many pieces :/
ugh i've had that response from a few people, i think it's a cpu issue with having so many damned faces... im sorry to disappoint :(

knorke : that car looks awesome :D and you are right 100%; hopefully this evening will give me free time enough to sort out a specular, a teamcolor and a normalmap for that set. sorry to be a pain in the rear end :D

(nobody seemed to have -huge- interest in making anything at the start; i was planning to supply these other maps anyways, but sort of let it dangle because i had other stuff to do. 100% my fault and i will rectify it)

maybe forb can supply the evorts faction 1 skin set too; there will be diffuse/teamcolor/specular/normals and the whole shebang (he made the secondary textures other than diffuse, ive never had them)

it wont look the exact same, but at least teamcolor will work, and you can replace all of the textures at any time anyways so it should suffice as a stop-gap

beyond that, if you are seriously considering a project with these, i will definitely support by re-skinning the whole set to your specifications (had some luck with another "camoflage" skin) there is a small amount of leeway with texture space; if you needed some other small parts that don't actually exist in the set, i can most likely fit them in
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

well i can do quickly make ,,Klotzsteins lego set"
but texturing is you job than because i suck at it

unless you like crappy gimp edits and ms-paint fiddle
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

karl tell me: does it lag to hell without the texture applied?
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

well yeah it is kind of noticeable slowly
but that is a general issue in Wings3D it happens when there are too much pieces wich then causes lag no idea why

i made 9x9x9 cubes for fun and it lagged badly
knorke

Post by knorke »

i am doing my cube thing already, so sadly can not start a second "serious project" with these.
But will probally make 1 or 2 units when teamcolor is done because its too much fun ;)
(if more people just test it out like this all those units could maybe bashed together in some game?)

Karl, try closing other programs or restarting wings.
I had that real bad lag too sometimes but usually wings works fine on my old comp with many pieces (like this set). Wings sometimes seems to lag if there is something "graphic" running at the same time, even if its just Uspring, VLC player or something that should not use much cpu. I guess it must be a problem with wings because after restarting wings its always gone.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

@ karl

hmmm

quite peculiar sir

well... if you wanted a smaller, less complicated set... a hacky way would be to go through my set and just go "ok i dont need this, this or this" and delete the parts you decide you don't need

there are 3 segments as you've seen of the same parts but a different color; how about just deleting one of the segments, leaving you with 2? then you could have teamcolor and non-teamcolor...

when im working with these; i'll take the parts i need from the "pile" and then hide the pile, leaving only the small amount of bits im using... i get a small amount of lag i when i have the piles visible and textured onscreen... try and experiment with hiding parts

ofc a better cpu or moar rams might help ;) but that sort of thing costs money :(

also i suppose if you made a small set of legoish models, i -might- take a crack at doing a nice texture for them, but i can't make promises at this point because i haven't seen the models and have no idea about my spring-making-stuff time in the next few months, i'm very much behind as it is :3 need moar details.

@ knorke : no worries then, but i'll be sure to get the proper textures included in the first post ASAP.

glad you had fun, and thanks for sharing the truck :D how long did it take you, just as a point of reference for someone considering trying this?
knorke

Post by knorke »

maybe 30-45 minutes or so?
i think when you have your "favorite" pieces sorted out, its possible to make stuff quite fast. Or when you make a chasis and just put other stuff on it, then change the chasis a bit etc.
It really depends how much you play around with variations etc...

usefull things in wings3d:
shift, crtl - to move pieces in "steps"
"put on" command - to put pieces on each other
select something, press a - center view on it
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

tought me lots of hours do to it no idea how exact but its alot
also yes i know its missing part there because i have no idea how should i solve it

it should be able to fire in 2 angles + rotating
i work later on it

should i pm you or should i post here for my lego set?

oh also i have 4 GB ram and uh i think DDR2 or 1 not sure
and E8400 Intel Dou at 3 GHz

Edit:

Alpha 1 from my lego set
legoklotz.zip
save file as
(9.01 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
knorke

Post by knorke »

evil black missle tank is evil. :shock: and black.

StompStomp, VroomVroom and Swuuuush was too much for one unit, so I made three.

hey!
Last edited by knorke on 05 Jan 2011, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

XD

karl that set is easy to texture so far; whats the hollow cylinder for? if its a gun barrel, just make it a solid object and the opening can be added on the texture
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

idk i just maked quick draw of it
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Fucking edit:

The red pieces ARE teamcolor.

./slap

Edit3: Kaiser, I don'[t think I ever showed you how to get them spring-ready (it's jsut a bunch of magic wanding and copy pasting really), but don't worry about it, I'll do it.

Edit4: Knorke, I'm pissed at you.
knorke

Post by knorke »

cool, how comes? :shock:
Well, not in the set I downloaded in this thread.
Or maybe I am doing it wrong?

I tried the other textures (from other zip etc) too but same result.
Only method I understood how to make teamcolor is to combine a fullcolor and a black/white image in DXTBmp and save that as .tga (black/white image becomes alpha channel) So yes, I could do the same for this texture but I cba because the result would not be worth it and I would rather use a texture someone with more shop-fu has made...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

lego set lags, thats true. but it doesnt lag much enough to prevent u from using it D: its not only wings issue tbh.

also, suggestion, USE H (hide in blender)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

@knorke

./slap

*sidenote* No longer pissed, just mildly irritated, but I understand now that you have absolutely no idea how to deal with any type of texture format besides tga in spring (which is absolutely the worst format you could possibly use for spring but whatever).

I thought you were just being a jerk because you didn't want to bother to learn how to do it "rite".

Ok, in photoshop, when you have a texture, you magic wand out the teamcolor (at least in the kaiser of kaisers textures, that's what I always do because psd's that come out of fireworks are a little... strange sometimes), and put it in a new layer. Put a fill layer of solid black behind the original texture layer. Merge with original texture layer. Create alpha mask, fill alpha mask with rgb 1,1,1. Copy pasta teamcolor layer that you excised earlier onto the alpha mask. Switch back to normal view from the alpha mask. Save file. Profit???

Congrats you now have texture1.

Texture2 is really simple to create but I won't bother going through it now.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

what i do this (witout teamcolor)
i just add a black mask to the layer done
knorke

Post by knorke »

hm ok, so the texture needs teamcolor added to it by hand. My point was really just that
is not true out of the box because the png have not alphachannel set for teamcolor.
you have absolutely no idea how to deal with any type of texture format besides tga in spring
[...]
you didn't want to bother to learn how to do it "rite".
Yes, both true :) But I should not have to. Nor should anybody else who wants to use this set because the idea is to create a lot of units fast without requiring any more than a basic understanding of a 3d editor.
So I am/was not asking for a guide how to add teamcolor (though thx) to this but instead for teamcolor to be added so every noob can easily use this.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

gaize be nice

its all my fault :(
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well gimmie a bit and I'll do it. Thing is, including a ready to go texture kinda defeats part of the purpose in a way, and that is the fact that the currently included texture can be easily manipulated in a vector art program (namely, fireworks), however, you have a point. Including both wouldn't hurt I should think.

Consider it gratitude for your automated cover system :-)

Return to “Modelling & Texturing Tutorials & Resources”