Kaisers Lego Thread - Lego v2 Released

Tutorials & Resources For Modellers & Skinners

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

"Lego" kit for creating a lot of units fast without requiring any more than a basic understanding of a 3d editor.

Update; im going to release lego v2

although it's a work in progress still in terms of how im going to implement it in my own work, this set should be perfectly fine and complete in order to make your own units.

how is v2 different?

-2.5x as many unique piece geometries as v1
-3x color variations for each piece
-slightly improved/efficient geometry
-theres more STUFF!

if you would like a different skin, as im working on some other variations, drop a request in this thread and i'll do my best. bump/normal maps are available if required, so just ask!

to get v2 lego, use the v2 link at the bottom of this post.

a big thank-you all of my collaborators and helpers and people who gave me encouragement.

you may encounter IKEA syndrome when first loading up the file (so many damn parts, how do i use them?) keep it simple to start, feel free to ask me for help or suggestions or whatever. if required i can make a basic tutorial or something, or provide files with example units.

text kept for relevance to first kit:
basically you can use these :

to assemble these (and many, many more):

promised to release them a while ago, and true to form, completely forgot and neglected to do so!

the old super funky skin is there, as well as my -attempt- at an arm skin. note that if you have fireworks, you can open the png file and adjust settings like ambient glow and shadowing much in the same way that a psd works. everything is saved as layers, and the file contains a few tiling textures used to create the overall map saved internally.

as far as licencing; do whatever the heck you'd like with these. if you make something like a new skin or a cool model or even another set entirely, please post it in the thread, so that others may use it too.

if anyone requires a step by step tutorial on creating a unit using these, involving moving objects, adjusting vertices, deleting faces and mirroring and grouping, i can make it. let me know if this is required

this is my first go at making something like this (a model designed inherently to be bashed) so it's little more than a proof of concept. there will be two more kits released, one of a similar tanks /wheels /science fiction theme, and one of a medieval theme. both will include parts that can be easily adapted to static structures as well as fighting units.

if you feel that certain things are imperative for me to add to these kits, or merely suggestions for what MIGHT be useful, make sure you post it here ASAP, because otherwise they may not be added, and once i've unwrapped the kit, you will be out of luck.

good luck and have fun :D

hois information for using this with wings3d (thx hoi)
File --> Import image (texture(s) you want to use)

Window --> Outliner

Drag the correct texture on the right material. If you need to make a new material deselect everything and right click in the viewport --> Material

If you need to assign faces to a material select the faces and do right click --> Select the material you want.
link updated; now includes some assembled units
oh and as always, if they dont work for you, i can upload in different formats.
Attachments
legov2.7z
lego v2 file
(5.32 MiB) Downloaded 283 times
legolegolego.7z
lego file w/ units and skins
(7.73 MiB) Downloaded 252 times
Last edited by KaiserJ on 01 Jan 2011, 21:30, edited 8 times in total.
Beherith

Re: Legos DL

Post by Beherith »

Thanks for releasing this, but this is the wierdest release post ever. Misleading title, no description, no screenshots, no keyword - ergo nothing to find it with when searching for it later.

Also, latest wings3d crashes when I attempt to import the 3ds, is this normal? (i dont have max)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

hrm; hehe sorry about that post; i just wanted to make sure i put the files up before i left for work again.

as far as wings crashing, thats pretty strange; afaik forb managed to get these models to load up no problem... so having your wings crash is an unexpected and unwelcome development.

(behe managed to import 3ds to upspring and then export an obj to wings. if anyone else has wings crash on them when loading, let me know)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Beherith wrote:Thanks for releasing this, but this is the wierdest release post ever. Misleading title, no description, no screenshots, no keyword - ergo nothing to find it with when searching for it later.

Also, latest wings3d crashes when I attempt to import the 3ds, is this normal? (i dont have max)
Dunno how you were trying to do it, but clicking "New", then file > import > 3ds should do the trick nicely.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Forboding Angel wrote: Dunno how you were trying to do it, but clicking "New", then file > import > 3ds should do the trick nicely.
I was doing it like that, in latest wings. Consistent crash. I run win7 x64.

Edit: you wouldnt happen to know of an easy way to apply an existing texture in wings? Like the texture for this model?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Beherith wrote:Edit: you wouldnt happen to know of an easy way to apply an existing texture in wings? Like the texture for this model?
File --> Import image (texture(s) you want to use)

Window --> Outliner

Drag the correct texture on the right material. If you need to make a new material deselect everything and right click in the viewport --> Material

If you need to assign faces to a material select the faces and do right click --> Select the material you want.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Re: Legos - a kit to create unit models quickly and easily.

Post by Saktoth »

It feels like its replicating 3do models in an s3o format, but i dont care, this is really really cool, especially with our lack of art devs. I love what you've done with these pieces too, what units you've managed to create.

Sadly from the CA1faction perspective at least we have all our vehicle models done, by the fabulous Mr.D. So we cant really use these.

Keep up the good work though.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

nice retex imo. looks really good!
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I love lego!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

spring needs lego mod ! blox extractor ftw
det

Post by det »

This is awesome.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Sorry about the further OTness.
I was able to make wings show the texture in the UV window by dragging, but I couldnt get it to display the texture on the model. What am I doing wrong?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Hoi wrote: Drag the correct texture on the right material. If you need to make a new material deselect everything and right click in the viewport --> Material

Read that again. If it still doesn't work try to go to view --> show and make sure materials and textures are on.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Beherith wrote:Sorry about the further OTness.
I was able to make wings show the texture in the UV window by dragging, but I couldnt get it to display the texture on the model. What am I doing wrong?
Put the 3ds and the texture in the same directory, then import the 3ds. The texture should show automagically.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Because both latest stable and dev build of wings craps itself importing the 3ds at the 3rd mesh of 52.

Edit: nvm it loaded after 10 mins...
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

does wings maybe not like square faces?

thanks for the kind words everyone! hopefully this ends up being useful in the long run... so far, it's been a ton of fun for me, so even if nobody uses these, im still a winrar!

so far for next "Sci-fi" kit i've got robot legs, building parts, some more complicated mounts for the guns, a lot more "generic" blocks (if you look, all the big blocks are a neutral color, and all the greebles are teamcolored... there will be some variation this time) as well as better designed cockpits, barrels/sleeves, that sort of thing.

<3
knorke

Post by knorke »

it works when using file, import,3ds
but it takes some minutes and when you minimize wings during loading, it does not update the window anymore so it looks like crashed.
so do not do anything during importing.

would have liked to build something for fun but somehow all surfaces in wings are black and i can only see the textures when the object is selected because the red is a bit brighter.
wtf i never changed that and how can i reset this?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

sounds to me maybe then that wings doesnt like huge textures...

frig. i wish i knew more about the program so i could help... at a guess, perhaps theres a way to enable ambient light from above; or perhaps theres a way to disable any shadowing altogether (this was in materials settings in max; and again, i wish i knew wings ;-;)

the attatched file in original post is a fireworks png; differing from a regular png, maybe this is the issue as well. there is a lot of superfluous information there that wings might have trouble processing

my suggests...
- open texture in paint, resave as bmp
- try loading the attatched file as a skin; its smaller, maybe that will make a difference

:( i hope someone can help you... in the meantime, im installing wings; maybe i can figure something out.
Attachments
512_blankskin.7z
512x512 blank
(80.45 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

It works fine with wings 1.2, as long as you wait like 5mins on import.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It loads instantly for me O_O

Wings 1.01

Return to “Modelling & Texturing Tutorials & Resources”