Wings3D UV Mapping Tutorial. - Page 2

Wings3D UV Mapping Tutorial.

Tutorials & Resources For Modellers & Skinners

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Mayhaps I need a second texture tutorial, too, its plenty easy enough to pick up though >.>
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

No, you draw the texture yourself xD
ironized

Post by ironized »

im talking about the glowmap, lightmap so on that smoth said, we make that in gimp aswell or is that done in upsring, where can i find a good tutorial [yeah i searched wiki]
smoth

Post by smoth »

The texture 2 is assigned in upspring. It covers the glowmap. There is no light map in spring.
ironized

Post by ironized »

yeah i meat the ones u said
but i forgotted
Eightball38

Post by Eightball38 »

Unbelievably stupid noob here. :oops:

I'm working on my first unit and getting it UV mapped in Upspring. It's a self-propelled gun with two parts as .obj's - the hull and the gun.
Link to it's 60-poly glory:

Following one of the tutorials, I made the two parts separately then exported them as .obj. Then I imported them into Upspring and then re-exported for UV mapping. I generated a UV map in Wings although it wouldn't let me make a very good one (all the faces were separate and it wouldn't let me unfold them nicely). But I still had a .bmp.

I go back into Upspring and generate both textures from bitmaps (no glow, no team color yet, 1 bit of reflectivity for the hell of it). Texture 1 displays as a dull, light gray. It's not the team color being screwed up, because I regenerate the texture and invert the team color .bmp, and then I see the whole thing in team color. I also flipped the UV map, so I don't think it's that either.

I'm fairly certain the UV coordinates are getting lost, but I really don't know what to do.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Eightball38 wrote:wall of text

I'm fairly certain the UV coordinates are getting lost, but I really don't know what to do.
texture 1 needs to have the teamcolour as an alpha channel, dark for less colour, light for more. if you have no alpha channel it simply shows up as 100% teamcolour.

and its far easier to uv map in wings BEFORE you export, and make sure it exports the uv co-ords when you export it.

and as far as all the faces being separate, make the uv map yourself, the auto mapping options arent all that great

you might want to make the barrel a separate object so it can be elevated separate from the turrent :)
Eightball38

Post by Eightball38 »

Well, I think I was saving the UV coordinates because now I can get most of the texture to work.

However, the gun, which is a separate .obj file imported into Upspring, isn't being textured properly because it's not getting UV mapped in wings.

I have three .obj files - the gun, the hull, and the two of them together as a single object. I UV map the .obj file that has both combined and it looks correct in Wings. However, when I import the UV coordinates from it into Upspring, only the hull has UV coordinates.

I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong, though I'm a lot close. Thanks!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I'd forget about exporting UV-map-models from upspring, never worked for me.

Combine everything into one object in wings and do the UV mapping or layout then. Then split it up again and redo your groups. Now export it for upspring.

Exporting the whole model as 3DS by the way can save some time, especially when you've named your objects properly in wings.
Eightball38

Post by Eightball38 »

Bloody brilliant! I got it in game. 3DS seems to have worked.

Thanks a lot! Now I have to script the bastard and get him in game. :lol:
Erom

Post by Erom »

Wanted to bump this, since I keep having to search for it. A sticky would be pro (nudge, nudge).
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Bookmark it!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Done, we can use as many useful modeling tutorials as possible. This is only our second bookmark :(
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Re: Wings3D UV Mapping Tutorial.

Post by bobthedinosaur »

wait a sec does wings allow for pieces? :shock: because this whole time ive been pulling my hair out trying to find a uv mapper that wont mess with the geometry every time i export for uv map do all that hard work import and upspring doesnt even recognize it! grrrrrr
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

UV map all your pieces, combine all of them, arrange the UV layout and then seperate or regroup them as fit. Both functions are in the object context menu.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

then how do you go about exporting piece by piece to upspring, and still keep the uv?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Firstly, name all pieces. Pieces with the same name will become part of a single object, when imported into UpSpring, so you can combine objects that way.

Secondly, export as .3DS. This will both preserve the uvmap and the piece names.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

...and break your normals while you are at it. Unless you redo them in Upspring which is only possible when you really export all hard-edged and round objects as single objects and merge them together after smoothing them, otherwise the auto-smoother is useless.

Anyway, ...
File -> Export Selected -> highlight Wavefront OBJ => hit Ctrl+Insert, <key to assign to>. Now group your pieces together, select one group and hit the newly defined key to export your current selection as OBJ.

I don't really understand what you mean with losing UVs though.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I always redo smoothing in UpSpring. If you adjust the angles correctly, your results are just fine, frankly. I've only had one situation where I felt like importing like that wasn't a complete waste of time. That said, by all means, do whatever works for you. I just think that's the fastest way to go about it.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Well, the problem is that autosmooth either ruins your hard edges or does not smooth soft edges unless you keep your objects seperated and merge them later which seems to work fine.

Return to “Modelling & Texturing Tutorials & Resources”