Wings3D UV Mapping Tutorial. - Page 4

Wings3D UV Mapping Tutorial.

Tutorials & Resources For Modellers & Skinners

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Hoi

Re: Wings3D UV Mapping Tutorial.

Post by Hoi »

The one you posted, and everything is shit about it, just trust me (and smoth), the best thing you can do is just ask in that topic you just made and I'll help you :wink:
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

While I'm happy to bow to the combined experience of you and smoth your comments above just aren't helpful. I know that not "everything" is wrong with the tutorial link I posted because it explained certain things more clearly than the tutorial in this thread. It answered questions I had about the whole process, especially unfolding and cutting. If you could explain your actual objections it would be useful. As it is everything that tutorial described worked for me with the single exception that my UV material was named Default_auv rather than 'diffuse'.

Anyway. I got lucky on a forum search for "unfolding" and found this older tut by Pressure Line. Worth a read as it covers the unfolding process in more detail:

Really really basic Wings3d UV Mapping Tutorial
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

plsssss tell me what this means i get this damn error all the time!
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

It means that you are trying to unwrap a surface (an object), but you didn't mark edges for cutting. Imagine a cube, in the uvmap a 3d cube needs to be unfolded to something 2d. To do that you wil have to cut some edges to be able to unfold it. If you don't tell wings what edges to cut you get that error, becaus wings cannot unwrap it.

So, in the uv editor (before unwrapping) select some edges and then right click>mark edges for cut. Think what edges you should mark. Or if you're a noob and you want a quick, reeasonably good map you can do right click(without anything selected)>segment by>projection, then right click again and do continue>unfolding. You will get a uvmap that is ok to work with for simple forms, but you should learn how to do it yourself to get better results.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

Got problem with model and I haven't found any way to fix this... I made model and grouped it to many "sections" so it's easier to handle and now when I try to uv map it they all go to different uv maps.
If anyone happen to know solution it's really appreciated :)

FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Go to Object mode, select all your meshes, Combine them, and then UV-map them as a single Object.

(Or was that what you described, and didn't work?)

I usually export as .3ds, and open this file in UPspring. UPspring recognises the separate meshes(or objects as Upspring calls them) in your exported object(or file) and will ask you what to do with them. Then chose option 2: 'Load all objects as child's of an empty root object.'

(Note: .3ds might have certain unwanted shortcomings for some)
Last edited by FireStorm_ on 13 Dec 2010, 00:27, edited 3 times in total.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

FireStorm_ wrote:Go to Object mode, select all your meshes, Combine them, and then UV-map them as a single Object.

(Or was that what you described, and didn't work?)

I usually export as .3ds, and open this file in UPspring. UPspring recognises the separate objects in your combined object and will ask you what to do with them. Then chose option 2: 'Load all objects as child's of an empty root object.'
That's what I eventually did even tho feels a bit silly cause uv mapping would be tons easier if I could do it in groups and just hide groups that I don't need at the moment. It's been probably over 2 years I uv mapped last thing :D It's still as big pain as back then.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

I feel the same way. UV-mapping is certainly not my most favourite part of making a model.

But you can make surfaces of objects more accessible by moving your objects way apart for each other before you combine. It doesn't has to look like the final model in Wings. Attaching limbs to the body (while lets say modelling a humanoid or kbot) can be postponed until you have the model in UPspring.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

More Wings3D problems. Now I noticed something that might be bug or i'm missing something here. When I hide face from right mouse click I can't find a way to show it again! The face's that I hided even disappeared from UV map.

Tried googling for it with no success and I have saved over my old model (unfortunately) and even tried restarting Wings3D... So how is Hide from right mouse button supposed to work like?

EDIT And Show all under Select does nothing to those hidden from right click Hide.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

got the same problem in the past. fix for the next modells:

select the area u wanna hide, right click it, choose .material. and choose _hole_, now all areas u wanna hide are blue and u dont have to uvmap them
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The current dev build got proper holes, as in no hole material needed
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

rattle wrote:The current dev build got proper holes, as in no hole material needed
Cool! Gotta try.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

To fill a hole you need to connect the respective vertices.

To be honest I prefered the old method...
thekackadu

Post by thekackadu »

i have a problem.

at my cube the texture isnt display after clicking "refresh"...

Why not? :(
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Check the view options to see if you are displaying textures.
thekackadu

Post by thekackadu »

Das Bruce wrote:Check the view options to see if you are displaying textures.
it is checked :o
knorke

Post by knorke »

i had the same problem here:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=40

fixed it like this:
You have to select the whole model, rightlick, "vertix attributes", "remove all uv coordinates" I just found this by pure luck :roll:
Then it is possible to make a new uv map and the texture finally shows on the model.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Or just use the RMB when you click on the uvmapping, allows you to re-segment the polys and it deletes the existing uvmapping.

Return to “Modelling & Texturing Tutorials & Resources”