Complete Map Making Tutorial: Done - Page 3

Complete Map Making Tutorial: Done

Tutorials & Resources For Mappers

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re:

Post by Forboding Angel »

Forboding Angel wrote:Ack, didn't see this.

Well, if you want to create your heightmaps completely outside of l3dt without any l3dt drawing, you need to import them at full texture size resolution (meaning, if it's a 16x16 map import the heightmap at a size of 8192x8192, then once it's imported, scale it down to 1024x1024), then scale them down within l3dt.

Another thing you can do if it's smoothing too much (which is what I normally do) is raise the heights in l3dt to something ridiculous, like min 0 max 1000-3000, alternately, you can fiddle with the horizontal scale.
^^ I need to point out that the above is not necessary unless you plan on having l3dt regenerate the heightmap from a design map. Additionally, with 2.5c you can tell it how large to make the design map so it's worth playing around with different sizes.

Likewise with the smoothing. Setting the horizontal scale to something lower than 10 should do the trick nicely, no matter how flat your map is. I usually use 8 as a matter of course.
asdam

Re: Complete Map Making Tutorial: Done

Post by asdam »

Hey, I was just wondering: I am planning to make a Core-homeworld map, and have the base color texture done at 512*512. If I were to use this smaller texture, would Spring automatically tile it to fit the map? Because I can't make an 8,192*8,192 pixel image on THIS computer... If I try, it just locks up for lack of RAM.

Thanks in forward,

-Asdam
genblood

Post by genblood »

asdam,

If you want a main texture at 8192 ...
You will need a height map 1025x1025
You will need a metal map 1025x1025
You will need a feature map 1024 x1024
Now your main texture map 8192x8192 ..

when you compile your map using the the command
line util. It will not tile a 512x512 image for you
main texture ..
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

why is this thread not sticky?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

But it is.
Jish

Post by Jish »

wow i never knew it was so long and complicated to make maps
yosemite

Post by yosemite »

so fot maps with objects in them, such as city maps, do you just do them inside the 3D program and texture them normally?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Short answer: yes. You're the guy that did that mecha, right?

If you want a longer answer, or have stuff that could be animated, play sounds, or do other Really Cool Stuff... send me a PM, I'll answer in about a week.
luckyTank

Post by luckyTank »

Is there another link to Mapconv? The above doesn't work.

Thank you.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

Could you please post a zip file which you can compile directoy into a map? Like with a heightmap, texture map, perhaps some features?
It would be nice to have a starting point and be able to try some things with it, to get the hang of how things work.
Thanks!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

There's some in KP_Sources.

Then those KP_Sources are only available in KP Installer. And even then, only if read the fine prints and do tick "KP Inst Source Files" in the "Component page".

Then you might not want to run the KP Installer just to get a couple map source exemples. What you could do instead, is download the KP Installer, then instead of running it, open it with 7-zip, and extract \KP_Sources\KP_Sources\Kernel_Panic_Maps.zip. Yes, I do mean opening the .exe with 7-zip. It works as that exe is an installer done with NSIS. The file tree is a bit messed up, but files are there.

Once you have extracted Kernel_Panic_Maps.zip, then unzip Kernel_Panic_Maps.zip.

Then go for instance into /Maps/DMA/

Then open up MakeDMA.bat in Notepad. Correct the set SpringFolder=C:\Games\Spring to make it fit your actual Spring path.

Then save and double-click it. Wait for Spring to start.

However, map is not ready to use yet as the .smd is not created. You'll have to extract the .smd of an already finished map .sd7 and copy it into the appropriate place (such as C:\Games\Spring\maps\Direct Memory Access.sdd\maps\), and probably edit and rename the .smd to fit.

After you've eventually managed to get that map to play in Spring engine, you may want to copy and rename then edit MakeDMA.bat again, and:
- Change SourceStub, which is the prefix of how your source images files are called.
- Change MapName, which is how the compiled map is called.
- Change the mapconv option, such as -c 0.5 (compression)
-x 1505 (max height) -n 806 (min height) and read "Beherith MapConv ReadMe.txt" for more mapconv options.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

that should do.
Thanks!
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

does this tutorial still work?

if so, can it be copy and pasted into the wiki?

we have about 10 not working map tutorials in the forum... in the wiki it can be at least updated by others, here not.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yep still works. Problem is, this is for old school smf mapping. I need to update it for use with blueprint ssmf and I fully plan to, but atm I don't have the time.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

can it be copy and pasted into the wiki? (others can fix it, most links are broken for example)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I would advise against it. It has enough old information to cause problems. It's worth nothing that this is the only mapping tutorial that is actually complete from start to finish.

Updating won't be that hard, and doing the updating on the forum is a lot easier than trying to do it in the wiki (forum syntax, buttons and stuff make it easier (for a wikinub such as myself) to format, and so forth).

I'll try to update it soon.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Tutorial mostly explains how to use the L3DT software with photoshop and some other tools.
The spring specific parts are outdated or links to wiki.

The links are broken (both 404 and unreadable because no url-tags)
There are better tutorials on the wiki though none is imo really good either. They could be remixed into one tutorial.
This attempts to create a "complete tutorial on XY" are kind of fail, it is excactly why Spring is so confusing. The tutorials try to cover every aspect but are never really complete and you have to hunt for informations in long texts. Stuff gets explained in multiple places slightly different and of course nobody wants to ever update that as well.
Structure by seperating into multiple pages.

Map Development should really be seperated into 2 parts:
Designing maps:
-tutorials on various terrain software
-specific guides such as how to make mountains
-Mapping/Tex with the World In Conflict Map Editor

Getting the map ingame:
-compiling via mapconv
-folder structure
-pixel sizes of heightmap/texturemap etc
-features

Some informations hidden inside the various tutorials should be its own page eg:
The Sun System/Shadow System
Then link to it.

abma:
I see you edited some map tutorials, correcting links to mapconv and such. imo that is a lost effort at the moment because first the mapping stuff needs to be better structured. Otherwise you end up correcting the same mistakes in a dozen times pages. (vergebliche Liebesmühe)
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

knorke wrote: abma:
I see you edited some map tutorials, correcting links to mapconv and such. imo that is a lost effort at the moment because first the mapping stuff needs to be better structured. Otherwise you end up correcting the same mistakes in a dozen times pages. (vergebliche Liebesmühe)
that was a cleanup while reading it. didn't take much time... most (maybe all) currently map-tutorials can be imo deprecated... i removed the part in the tutorials, where they describe each tool with the command line parameters and created dedicated pages for that (MapConv, MapConvNG, Mothers MapConv).

Return to “Map Tutorials & Resources”