Standalone Featureplacer

Standalone Featureplacer

Tutorials & Resources For Mappers

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Standalone Featureplacer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Evolution RTS will no longer be needed to use featureplacer.

https://code.google.com/p/feature-placer/

It is currently not on rapid yet. It relies on the spring features archive.

It is very basic, just a building unit, and the menu where you can choose all the options. Pretty nifty. If you would like commit access, just provide me with your email so I can add you to the commit list.

If you don't want the game to end immediately (which doesn't mess anything up), you can add a nullai. I was too lazy to make the game never end.

Some mod please add this to the map resources forum
enetheru

Re: Standalone Featureplacer

Post by enetheru »

awesome!
knorke

Post by knorke »

delete game_end.lua so it does not end.
in scripts, objects3d etc folders are some leftover files.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

awesome!
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Would it make sense to bundle this with TB (As a dependency)?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

TB? I don't know what that is... Drawing a total blank -_-
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

knorke wrote:delete game_end.lua so it does not end.
in scripts, objects3d etc folders are some leftover files.
Yeah there is a lot of leftover junk. I didn't realize that deleting game end would solve that though. Derp.
gajop

Post by gajop »

FLOZi wrote:Would it make sense to bundle this with TB?
It didn't work by simply grabbing svn and copying it in mods (unit would have no build options). I tried it standalone and as part of Toolbox (through a depends line), but results were the same: no buildoptions on that feature_placer tree thingy.

So I'll go by memory of a video I saw and compare it to what I have going on in Toolbox already:
- you must use a unit to add features
- you can only add, without being able to delete, move or rotate them
- there is no feature organization (not that Toolbox has much...)
- you cannot add wrecks
- no undo/redo
+ you can add multiple features at the same time
+ there is an existing save format people actually use (is there..? how do you save it?). i'm currently saving it to a format i invented that probably doesn't look much like the existing ones : example

If you can provide me with a link which describes an existing feature save file format (that thing FA linked as the de-facto standard..?) I could probably implement saving to a file format people would use.

PS: @FA TB = Toolbox. Btw is there any other Toolbox repository besides Pako's and mine's?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Btw, I'd rather do some work on the "Spring Features" thingy.
Some feature defs need fixing (lilypads should float :D) and featurepics should come with Spring Features (not featureplacer).
There's probably also some work needed (in the defs as well as in the models..?) in order to have them display/not disappear properly (some trees are broken, aren't they).
I'd also remove some features altogether as they're frankly.. too ugly, but I can ignore that.

Also, do these featuredefs come with any sort of tagging so we can categorize them, f.e stuff like this "tree, green, plant, natural", "artificial, house", or some hierarchy would help.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Is there any way to have the 3d model directly displayed in the interface? rather than have pre-rendered images.. it would solve the problem absolutely.
gajop

Post by gajop »

enetheru wrote:Is there any way to have the 3d model directly displayed in the interface? rather than have pre-rendered images.. it would solve the problem absolutely.
no idea i guess so, haven't seen anyone do it yet, but images can be generated in-game, it's just too slow though, loading from disk is slow as it is!
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

gajop wrote: - you can only add, without being able to delete, move or rotate them
I think everything else you stated was true except the above. There is a spread, jitter and rotate widget, which was broken for awhile but I see they're working again :-) . You can also reclaim a feature to 'delete' it.

Also, to save it just outputs a txt to your spring folder which you then copy into your map's set.lua.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

gajop that is genius. The biggest issue with this was the buildpics.

Spring.DrawUnit
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Gajop, you have to load it via the lobby. Can't do it with just spring.exe (because it depends on a modoption being set).

To get set.lua, just hit f11 and enable the widget that says dump all to set.lua or whatever. set.lua will be created in your spring folder.

Gajop, much of what you have written is null because of no experience actually using it.

The features are organized actually, but no, they are not categorized under tabs. That would need chili and a different build list.

Unitpics cannot be read properly from a dependency apparently. I know this because all the feature pictures are in spring features, but spring won't read them from spring features.

Feature defs should be included with the map if you want different from default.

Make sure to update to the latest revision and launch it from a lobby (tasc or sl) Next thing I'm going to tackle is the reliance on the modoption.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

As of revision 10 works when launched from spring.exe

Clustering will not work without the modoption being set (IE launch from lobby). I'm not sure why. I've tried stripping out the code that looks for the modoption in FP_featurespread.lua and it still doesn't work without the modoption being set.

Still looking. If anyone feels like looking please do.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Also, pay attention to the random spawners. Those are a big tool to doing randomized vegetation.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote: To get set.lua, just hit f11 and enable the widget that says dump all to set.lua or whatever. set.lua will be created in your spring folder.
Where in ToolBox I can just save it using a save icon and a lua in-game file save dialog (loading also works if on proper map).
Forboding Angel wrote: Gajop, much of what you have written is null because of no experience actually using it.
True, also ToolBox version is nowhere near as stable probably! I'll give FP a try tomorrow.
Forboding Angel wrote: Unitpics cannot be read properly from a dependency apparently. I know this because all the feature pictures are in spring features, but spring won't read them from spring features.
Is that just for features? Because I've been loading unitdefs fine (featuredefs don't seem to come with pictures).

PS: I don't really think randomization and multiple-addition is that important for a GUI editor, where undo/redo, proper command/state OOP design is. Just as an example, I went and added multiple additions, it took me about 20mins to write it (and as much to record/upload it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4n4ZxtnAok. It also magically works with undo/redo and what not :)

So anyway, I'd really appreciate it if you were offering a commit access to Spring Features instead :)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=25752 :P

I think a lot will become mroe clear once you have used FP. FP could easily depend on TB. That might be a really neat idea, but I'm not sure that TB offers anything of real benefit to FP, unless I'm missing something obvious.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Forboding Angel wrote:http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=25752 :P

I think a lot will become mroe clear once you have used FP. FP could easily depend on TB. That might be a really neat idea, but I'm not sure that TB offers anything of real benefit to FP, unless I'm missing something obvious.
I don't think anything special would be necessary. Someone could just use toolbox with FP as if it were any other game/mod, but I guess that would be kind of pointless unless toolbox has any widgets for map devving.

Edit: Just watched the video, and I rescind my comment. That's pretty cool gajop.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Mine too. I was not aware that toolbox had any sort of placement.

Make them coexist gajop? Also, I dunno if it wasn't clear or whatever, but I need your email address in order to add you to committers for spring features.

Return to “Map Tutorials & Resources”