New Mapping Tool - "SpringMapEdit" - r321 - Page 5

New Mapping Tool - "SpringMapEdit" - r321

Tutorials & Resources For Mappers

Moderator: Moderators

Noruas
XTA Developer

Re: New Mapping Tool - "SpringMapEdit" - r564

Post by Noruas »

Heres a hot crack you can use for steaming geovent spots.

As amusing as this was, I suspect most users don't want to be assaulted by a set of buttocks.

Your lying, most viewers want to be assaulted.

I certainly do! -othermod
Last edited by Noruas on 01 Jan 2009, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

ralphie wrote:this geovent graphic is pretty much standard, i guess nobody has bothered to make a better one :P

i made own geovent for my metal maps =D
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Bumpdate?
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

update? anytime soon? :-)

I've got ubuntu running here: the command line says:

Code: Select all

mk@MidKnightFire:~/Desktop/dfdf$ sh start_lin_x86_512.sh
: not found86_512.sh: 2: 
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
           (to execute a class)
   or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
           (to execute a jar file)

where options include:
    -d32          use a 32-bit data model if available

-d64          use a 64-bit data model if available
    -client	  to select the "client" VM
    -server	  to select the "server" VM
    -hotspot	  is a synonym for the "client" VM  [deprecated]
                  The default VM is server, 
                  because you are running on a server-class machine.

-cp <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
    -classpath <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
                  A : separated list of directories, JAR archives,
                  and ZIP archives to search for class files.
    -D<name>=<value>
                  set a system property
    -verbose[:class|gc|jni]
                  enable verbose output
    -version      print product version and exit
    -version:<value>
                  require the specified version to run
    -showversion  print product version and continue
    -jre-restrict-search | -jre-no-restrict-search
                  include/exclude user private JREs in the version search
    -? -help      print this help message
    -X            print help on non-standard options
    -ea[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
    -enableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                  enable assertions
    -da[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
    -disableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                  disable assertions
    -esa | -enablesystemassertions
                  enable system assertions
    -dsa | -disablesystemassertions
                  disable system assertions
    -agentlib:<libname>[=<options>]
                  load native agent library <libname>, e.g. -agentlib:hprof
                    see also, -agentlib:jdwp=help and -agentlib:hprof=help
    -agentpath:<pathname>[=<options>]
                  load native agent library by full pathname
    -javaagent:<jarpath>[=<options>]
                  load Java programming language agent, see java.lang.instrument
    -splash:<imagepath>
                  show splash screen with specified image
Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
/home/mk/Desktop/dfdf/lib_lin_x86/gluegen-rt.jar
/home/mk/Desktop/dfdf/lib_lin_x86/jogl.jar
/home/mk/Desktop/dfdf/lib_lin_x86/swt.jar
Frostregen

Post by Frostregen »

I know the trees are generated, and I know geovents are only textures.
But:
Since geovents&trees are handled like features, (the feature loading code just looks for "geovent" or "treeXX" feature-names and handles them accordingly) it would be most easy for me to just show an .s3o model for them. (Instead of doing some special handling)

@Noruas: make an .s3o out of your hot crack and I will use it ;)

@MidKnight: interesting, so you are the first one to try it on linux :)
1. I forgot to change the EOL to unix inside .sh
2. linux jvm wants : instead of ; to separate classpath entries (!?!?)
Please try attached startscripts
Attachments
start_lin_x86.7z
(357 Bytes) Downloaded 59 times
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

It works now ^_^

also, a question: how hard would it be to implement a cursor and a gui? It'd be a very useful addition. :mrgreen:
insaneinside

Post by insaneinside »

Frostregen wrote:2. linux jvm wants : instead of ; to separate classpath entries (!?!?)
sh-based shells use ; as an unconditional command separator (run the command before it, then run the command after it). If you really want to use a semicolon in an argument to a command, quote it with double or single quotes, or a backslash.

In any case, Java probably wouldn't accept it (as a path separator) on Linux. It might, but I don't know enough about Java to say.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

hi frost! good to see you back.

something that's really come to my attention from making larger maps w/ SME... support for 512x512 textures in the rendering would make things a LOT sexier... not sure if this would be hard or ridiculously easy, but please give it some consideration either way.

also... features! features are great; i'd love to have an interface where i can add custom features to springmapedit. pressureline released packs of buildings from MC2 that i've been toying around with, and i've got them into a map using the standard compiler, but i can't get them to work with SME... the textures are not in a format that's recognized by the program so they appear black.

question about this; how are the features included in the map? will SME export them properly even though the textures seem absent in the editor... (i should probably try this myself, shame on you lazy kaiser)

another question : how close are you to a new release? i was going to write a tutorial on how to create maps using springmapedit; but it seems silly to do so if you are close to a new version.

*edit*

something that also might be good from a development perspective... if you could seperate the script that generates the texture into a selectable, editable file (loads the one that is currently there by default, but you have the option to load a new script alongside your maps under the "load" menu.)

i'd like to take a swing at creating new, more complicated texturing procedures that i would then give back to you to be included in subsequent versions, or at the very least build a pack to be downloaded by other mappers.
Frostregen

Post by Frostregen »

KaiserJ wrote:hi frost! good to see you back.

something that's really come to my attention from making larger maps w/ SME... support for 512x512 textures in the rendering would make things a LOT sexier... not sure if this would be hard or ridiculously easy, but please give it some consideration either way.
I did not limit it to any specific size, just use what you want ;)
KaiserJ wrote: also... features! features are great; i'd love to have an interface where i can add custom features to springmapedit. pressureline released packs of buildings from MC2 that i've been toying around with, and i've got them into a map using the standard compiler, but i can't get them to work with SME... the textures are not in a format that's recognized by the program so they appear black.
Because I want to use those buildings too, I checked them:
"java.io.IOException: TGADecoder Compressed True Color images not supported"
I may be able to work around this the same way as for .png (java premultiplied the alpha channel, which resulted in black textures too)
KaiserJ wrote: question about this; how are the features included in the map? will SME export them properly even though the textures seem absent in the editor... (i should probably try this myself, shame on you lazy kaiser)
Features should be ok ingame, as features are saved by filename within .smf.
KaiserJ wrote: another question : how close are you to a new release? i was going to write a tutorial on how to create maps using springmapedit; but it seems silly to do so if you are close to a new version.
Not very close because I have a cold since starting of this year...sucks..., but this does not mean much, as most things are coded quite fast. If you want to write a tutorial, just keep unfinished (e.g.: texturizing) parts out of the tut.
KaiserJ wrote: something that also might be good from a development perspective... if you could seperate the script that generates the texture into a selectable, editable file (loads the one that is currently there by default, but you have the option to load a new script alongside your maps under the "load" menu.)
i'd like to take a swing at creating new, more complicated texturing procedures that i would then give back to you to be included in subsequent versions, or at the very least build a pack to be downloaded by other mappers.
Sounds good for the moment, will be there for next release.

Greetings,
Frostregen
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

cool cool... cool cool.

my problem with using 512 textures, for some reason i thought that it only grabbed the upper left 256x256 pixels and tiled those, but i will have another go.

and awesome... gonna use those buildings very soon then :)

sorry to hear of your sickness... when i was a little kid and was sick home from school, my mom always made loading screens for my applications to make me feel better. 8) changes can easily be made, just wanted to contribute something, seeing as i'm always popping by here and making requests.

got some .ico files and a little title-logo thingy that could be incorporated in the existing GUI as well if you like.

http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=banner2xx2.png

*edit* when you click the link, for some reason it loads a thumb... so click the image again when the link loads to get the "true" image... i really need to start hosting on my own site again.

all the best, hope your health improves soon!
Frostregen

Post by Frostregen »

Awesome logo KaiserJ!
I already coded it into the mapeditor :)

Thx, really cool!
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Awesome. Except for the "for the creation of Spring maps". Don't need a description in a banner :P SpringMapEdit by Frostregen should suffice.

Anyway, frost, <3 you, keep it up! I've been waiting for something like this for.. well, since 2004. Cant wait for more functionality!
Argh

Post by Argh »

Planning to try road-building stuffs when I get done with what I'm doing now.
Frostregen

Post by Frostregen »

Just short news:

This is how the default texture generation looks in textfile form now:
(Yes, it is just tdf...)

[TEXTUREGENERATORSETUP]
{
	Levels=4;
	[FLAT]
	{
		Texture1=beach2.png;
		Texture2=grass3.png;
		Texture3=stone.png;
		Texture4=ice.png;
	}
	[STEEP]
	{
		Texture1=sandstone.png;
		Texture2=stone.png;
		Texture3=stone.png;
		Texture4=stone.png;
	}
	[HEIGHTTRANSITIONS]
	{
		End1=0.3;

Start2=0.4;
		End2=0.5;

Start3=0.6;
		End3=0.7;

Start4=0.8;
	}
	[STEEPTRANSITIONS]
	{
		Flat1=0.005;
		Steep1=0.03;

Flat2=0.005;
		Steep2=0.03;

Flat3=0.005;
		Steep3=0.03;

Flat4=0.005;
		Steep4=0.03;
	}
}
EDIT:

New release: r598

Changes:
-fixed startup scripts for linux
-added Logo Dialog (with logo from KaiserJ)
-externalized TexGen Settings into .tdf setup files. Setup files may be loaded via TexGen->"Load TexGen settings"
-added 2 TexGen examples, plus a small readme.txt
-added button for autotexturing (TexGen->"TexGen whole map")
-added new TextureBrush mode: TexGen. This will generate the area below the brush. (may be used for fast script testing, or simply restoring the autogenerated texture)
-if feature texture loading fails, use a blank texture instead.

I could not work around the compressed .tga problem as easily as for .png: I need to write my own TGA file reader. There is no other default support for it in Java, besides TextureIO which fails for compressed ones.

As always, have fun :)
SpikedHelmet

Re: New Mapping Tool - "SpringMapEdit" - r598

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Frost, you are too awesome.

My very first attempt with your program and I successfully managed to actually make something that worked ingame! Using my own features!

(Weird white circle thingies are part of the mod)

I tend to judge WIP apps based on ease-of-use and success rates my first attempts, and by golly SpringMapEdit passed with flying colours!

There was one issue, though, that I was saddened by; using the Texture "add" brush doesn't seem to work. It appears it will lighten using the selected texture more as a texture brush. You probably know about that, though.

A couple of other suggestions: Could you make mouselook toggle the backspace rather than spacebar? Just so that it's the same as mouselook in FPS mode in-game. On that note, maybe you could add a camera zoom function with the mousewheel (overall IMO having controls similar to ingame makes learning things easier for most Map Editors).

The TexGen inparticular was absolutely golden, and it'll be even more awesome when we've got wide varieties of texture sets (temperate, snow, desert, etc), will make most standard map-making an absolute wonder.

Overall this is way too awesome, please don't go anywhere! (Spring community has a habit of awesome ideas being started by people who soon disappear, leaving us poor developers with drooling mouths and shattered hopes)

Edit: One other issue; there seems to be a discrepency with maxheights, the heightmap as it looks rendered in SME doesn't look the same as in-game (ingame appears to have higher max height? ie higher slopes)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

freeze issue...

i open springmapedit, create a new map, go up to texgen, select "load texgen settings", select "texgen whole map" and then the 3d viewing window locks up and i can't get it to respond anymore... no progress bar in the CMD window either. same freeze after i load a texgen setting and try to use the texgen brush.

seems that it's fine for me until you load up a texgen script, then freezes up when you try to do anything with texgen after that. are you able to recreate this bug?

other than that, the texgen brush works great as does the "texgen whole map" (provided of course you don't try to load up a next texgen setting)

:-)
Frostregen

Post by Frostregen »

SpikedHelmet wrote: There was one issue, though, that I was saddened by; using the Texture "add" brush doesn't seem to work. It appears it will lighten using the selected texture more as a texture brush. You probably know about that, though.
Yep, this is currently not very useful
SpikedHelmet wrote:A couple of other suggestions: Could you make mouselook toggle the backspace rather than spacebar? Just so that it's the same as mouselook in FPS mode in-game.
This setting can be changed in config/keys.cfg:
Change

32	VIEW_MOUSELOOK
to

8	VIEW_MOUSELOOK
SpikedHelmet wrote:Edit: One other issue; there seems to be a discrepency with maxheights, the heightmap as it looks rendered in SME doesn't look the same as in-game (ingame appears to have higher max height? ie higher slopes)
Thought I calculated it right... I need to check

@KaiserJ:
Hm, I could not reproduce it exactly.
However I could get it to hang by specifying an image which does not exist. (Texture1=blabla.png)
Maybe this is your issue?
I fixed it already for the next version, so it gives an appropriate error message, instead of just freezing.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Are there plans in the near future to add blending with textures? So that two textures sidebyside dont have a harsh partition line between them but blend into each other (the way TexGen currently does it)

That's pretty much all thats missing at this point for me! Great job, again.
Frostregen

Re: New Mapping Tool - "SpringMapEdit" - r601

Post by Frostregen »

@SpikedHelmet: Yes, exactly now ;)

New release: r601

Changes:
-fixed freezing on loading texture script with non-existant texture file.
-added texture-blend brush. uses blending-pattern from selected brush-pattern.
Attachments
springedit38_small.jpg
springedit38_small.jpg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
MidKnight

Re: New Mapping Tool - "SpringMapEdit" - r601

Post by MidKnight »

Yay! this is making mapping so much easier! keep at it! :mrgreen:
BTW: does it have skybox support yet? (i'm too lazy to read the manual :wink: )

Return to “Map Tutorials & Resources”