NOTA 1.82 - Page 2

NOTA 1.82

Moderators: smartie, Thor, PepeAmpere, Moderators, Content Developer

smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

Cant you attatch the landing point to something near the building so its got a small collision sphere then make the buildings script raise the point to the intended position once its built? That would give the same results but without the huge collision sphere.
I just tested that and it works. You're a genius.
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

lol, nice mod! Like what ur doing with that singleplayer mission! Some more would be great, and would really improve learning this mod (if setup well ofc). The command base constr. whatever unit works well!
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Forboding Angel wrote:So why are hovers even in the mod? It doesn't appear that they serve a worthwhile purpose. Other than that, pretty neat.
They are useful Early game when you want to expand early and get ahead. I used them quite extensively in the game i played. My only complaint is that the Lvl1 units are far too weak to be worth while in late game. Which is kinda sad considering how expensive it is to acheive Lvl2. And that also brings up another point. Its far easier to get Lvl2/3 defenses than it is to build Lvl2 troops. I think the Lvl1 guys should either get an attack buff, or the Lvl2 D should be made less cost effective.
Peekaboom

Post by Peekaboom »

anyone know if any AI cfg's will work for this?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Only NTai, but you have to build the config first.
rcdraco

A few statements....

Post by rcdraco »

This is supposed to be NOTA Not Original Total Annihilation.... So why does it have so many OTA units???? Sure your custom ones are alright but, come on you added boats, a plane, and a new commander. Thats it....
tombom

Re: A few statements....

Post by tombom »

rcdraco wrote:This is supposed to be NOTA Not Original Total Annihilation.... So why does it have so many OTA units???? Sure your custom ones are alright but, come on you added boats, a plane, and a new commander. Thats it....
If it really was completely not OTA they'd have called it something different. The reason it's a variation on the name OTA is because all the units are the same/similar but the gameplay is very different.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Any work being done on this? I played a couple of games, and i loved it!
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

yeah, we've been working a bit on the next version, mostly bug fixes and balance changes. I'd like to get more feedback though on the balance. So far changes include:

-toadfoot energy cost, buildtime increased
-pod range decreased to 1000.
-maverick cost increased, hp lowered slightly
-panther cost lowered
-air pad collision sphere fixed
-hovertank hp increased
-scout cars made faster, better for scouting, but laser damage decreased

I don't think defenses are necessarily too powerful. While light units do get killed very fast by laser towers, medium tanks are pretty resistent to light laser damage and are not bad at all for assaulting. And while plasma cannons do make a successful assault by level 1 armies unlikely, they are expensive, especially considering the cost of building a nanotower first to get one outside of your main base. If the enemy spends the amount of money and time it takes to get that kind of defense, he's probably done so at the expense of an army or defenses elsewhere, and is vulnerable to an attack somewhere else.

edit: we've also been thinking of making jammer units level 1 so you aren't completely helpless against missile ships. (they work the same way as electronic warfare ships, on a smaller scale, providing a small safe zone from missiles.)
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

I think you might want to fluff this mod up a little, what do I mean by that? Give it a little story and theme. We get it now that it's not Total Annihilation, but what is it then? Better to tell us what the mod is, rather then, what it isn't.

I propose you give the mod a "Total Annihilation, but on an epic scale" feel. Name the ARM command base something like.. "Empyrrean High Command." and let the basic level one construction unit be an actual Commander, rather than a necro. You'd probably have to knock down the d-gun a little, and the self-d impact along with it, but it would be cool to have multiple commanders on the field.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

make units generlly smaller too

If possible turn the units into groups. So say an ak has 100 hit points and the model is 100 aks
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Neuralize wrote:I think you might want to fluff this mod up a little, what do I mean by that? Give it a little story and theme. We get it now that it's not Total Annihilation, but what is it then? Better to tell us what the mod is, rather then, what it isn't.

I propose you give the mod a "Total Annihilation, but on an epic scale" feel. Name the ARM command base something like.. "Empyrrean High Command." and let the basic level one construction unit be an actual Commander, rather than a necro. You'd probably have to knock down the d-gun a little, and the self-d impact along with it, but it would be cool to have multiple commanders on the field.
Ya know, that is a really cool idea
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

Thor wrote:While light units do get killed very fast by laser towers, medium tanks are pretty resistent to light laser damage and are not bad at all for assaulting.
by meduim tanks u mean the stumpy/raider correct?
edit: we've also been thinking of making jammer units level 1 so you aren't completely helpless against missile ships. (they work the same way as electronic warfare ships, on a smaller scale, providing a small safe zone from missiles.)
Sounds like a plan... would also help against the costal defense guns since without radar targets they aren't that great for defense.

i wish i could give more balance suggestion but i can't get enough play time in :(
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

Neuralize wrote:I think you might want to fluff this mod up a little, what do I mean by that? Give it a little story and theme. We get it now that it's not Total Annihilation, but what is it then? Better to tell us what the mod is, rather then, what it isn't.

hmmm... well I have tried to give each side more "flavor" or individuality, so the Core are a bit more sinister, their base is their central consciousness, they can resurrect your armies, etc. while the Arm are the more traditional, human side. Gameplay wise they are more different also than in ota: The Arm are of course better at early expansion and raiding, while the Core generally have slower but heavier units. Arm ships can usually outrange and outgun their Core equivalents, but are not as well armored. And while Core planes are usually pretty specialized, the Arm have more general purpose ones like the toadfoot, and just about all their bombers have at least some sort of air defense. We actually wanted to implement commanders as a one time superunit that you would get by building a warp gate, and that would be able to build anywhere on the map. I don't think multiple commanders would work so well though. For one thing, to be balanced they'd have to be nerfed to the point of effectively being little more than a construction unit with a laser. If we ever do put commanders in this mod, I would want them to be valuable, expensive, and rare.

If possible turn the units into groups. So say an ak has 100 hit points and the model is 100 aks
I don't think that's at all possible in Spring.
by meduim tanks u mean the stumpy/raider correct?
Yes. There are three armor categories for ground units: light, medium, and heavy. Medium armor is pretty resistant to lighter weapons, including emg's and light lasers, and heavy is even more so. Other weapons like rockets, plasma, and heavy lasers do full damage, regardless of armor.

Medium tanks are the best general purpose level 1 unit: they've got good armor, capable of standing up to laser towers and light tanks, they're fast, and they have decent firepower in the form of a plasma cannon that, unlike light tanks, remains useful throughout the game as it can still penetrate heavier armor.
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

I don't think that's at all possible in Spring.
no no, this is a very good idea. But it would be better if they were all riding a unicycle.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

bah unicycle thats too easy give em a pogo stick :P
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

jet powered sleds
Abokasee

Post by Abokasee »

Lower cost of krogoth to 100 metal and 100 Energy, and give's +1000000000 of each recource, and it can be built by commander
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

v1.11 now available: http://spring.unknown-files.net/index.p ... &dlid=2121

Changelog:
-added specialized level 2 construction towers- they give a player access to advanced resource buildings earlier in the game and one type of level 2 factory of player's choice.
-Arm Panther stealth tanks and Core Reaper heavy tanks now level 1, cost and effectiveness adjusted accordingly
-New unit icons for scouts and toadfoot fighter-bombers
-vehicle radar jammers now level 1
-increased toadfoot energy cost, buildtime, rocket weapon fuel usage
-Scout cars faster, better at scouting, laser damage decreased
-bulldog, reaper firepower increased by 20%
-Maverick cost increased, hp slightly lowered
-decreased Monstros Pod range to 1000
-small increase in hovertank hitpoints
-hovercraft artillery are faster
-hovercraft transports can now carry up to 15 units
-increased advanced level 2 constructor cost by 10%
-decreased pop-up cannon cost by 10%
-moho mine cost increased
-removed Core Cougar mech and Arm Pit Viper artillery mech
-core sentry mobile flak now has correct wreckage model
-core battlecruiser wreckage size corrected
-airpad collision spheres fixed
-nanotower build ranges corrected after fix in .74b2
-flying fortress will no longer try to land on repair pads
-Core moho constructor slope tolerance fixed
-some wreckage metal values fixed

I think some of the new changes really improve the gameplay. The specialized lvl 2 towers allow you to reach level 2 much earlier but forces you to choose which branch of units you want to focus on- vehicles, kbots, air, or defense. And making panthers and reapers lvl 1 gives more distinction to the two sides- the Arm panther is the perfect raiding tank, but too expensive to be a worthwhile frontline unit, while reapers are great for base assaults, but too slow and expensive to be cost-effective in large numbers.
Last edited by Thor on 14 Jan 2007, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “NOTA”