NOTA 1.82 - Page 6

NOTA 1.82

Moderators: smartie, Thor, PepeAmpere, Moderators, Content Developer

Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

Oh just something I thought you should know Thor, I talked with Trepan and the airpad refueling is atm limited to a max of 2.. So you are correct and no one was doin it wrong.. Id suggest we make a request to get that raised..
udm

Post by udm »

Found a bug: apparently when you build a building to the right or left of the command center, you cannot select it. Seems the clicking boundaries of the command center is blocking the building

Try building something small like the mex, you'll see what I mean. This only happens when you build adjacent to the upper left/right squares of the command center. If you don't get what I mean, surround it with mexes and check it out :P

Btw any plans to release a version with the commander? This would be so great with a commander, even though I know it's called NOTA for a reason, but it feels so much like supcom, I miss the commander :P
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Thor wrote:-Added Commanders. They are a powerful late game unit that can build defenses anywhere.
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

Fanger, thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll make the request. Carriers are the biggest thing still missing from nota.

udm, I think the problem with the command center is caused by the collision sphere for the model being too big. You get the same problem on the larger ships. There is currently no way to change its size, although I think the next release of spring is set to add that.

For the commanders, did you mean add them as starting units, or did you just miss them in the changelog?
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

Thor wrote:Fanger, thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll make the request. Carriers are the biggest thing still missing from nota.

udm, I think the problem with the command center is caused by the collision sphere for the model being too big. You get the same problem on the larger ships. There is currently no way to change its size, although I think the next release of spring is set to add that.

For the commanders, did you mean add them as starting units, or did you just miss them in the changelog?
upspring, adjust the center and radius. :wink:
udm

Post by udm »

Thor wrote:Fanger, thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll make the request. Carriers are the biggest thing still missing from nota.

Both. My bad, I missed the changelog. Would be nice to have the cmder as a starting unit, but it's cool that he's still in there anyway
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

Lathan you cant adjust the size of a 3do hitsphere, and given that nota uses entirely 3do.. nuff said..

Oh thor a couple of other points:

The seaplane pad is not buildable on many maps do to the max depth restrictions, Id strongly suggest a different set up, possibly use waterline to put it below water, as having to build it on the sea bed does not always allow it to be built..

The construction subs REALLY, REALLY, REALLY.. need to be able to build everything water related, or at least the sonar this is very important..

also the Moho upgraders are not transportable even via lvl 2 transport aircraft, I suppose this is intentional but I dont see why it is annoying to have to build a lvl 2 con on a new tiny land mass just so you can upgrade to mohos, maybe they could be transportable..

Can mobile construction units be allowed to build dragons teeth additionally..
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

LathanStanley wrote:upspring, adjust the center and radius. :wink:
Isn't that limited to s3os, hence the new tags?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

rattle wrote:
LathanStanley wrote:upspring, adjust the center and radius. :wink:
Isn't that limited to s3os, hence the new tags?
Correct.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

Fanger wrote:Lathan you cant adjust the size of a 3do hitsphere, and given that nota uses entirely 3do.. nuff said..

Oh thor a couple of other points:

The seaplane pad is not buildable on many maps do to the max depth restrictions, Id strongly suggest a different set up, possibly use waterline to put it below water, as having to build it on the sea bed does not always allow it to be built..

The construction subs REALLY, REALLY, REALLY.. need to be able to build everything water related, or at least the sonar this is very important..

also the Moho upgraders are not transportable even via lvl 2 transport aircraft, I suppose this is intentional but I dont see why it is annoying to have to build a lvl 2 con on a new tiny land mass just so you can upgrade to mohos, maybe they could be transportable..

Can mobile construction units be allowed to build dragons teeth additionally..
Damn, you're right. I just tried it, and it's impossible to build seaplane platforms anywhere on small supreme and probably lots of other maps too. That's what I get for always testing things on the same map... I forgot to give them a maxslope.

Construction subs can't build water defenses because those are supposed to be shore defenses only. I guess it's reasonable to say they should be able to build sonar, but I would expect that would make attack subs much less useful because you could just spam sonar everywhere.

I suppose there's no reason the moho builders shouldn't be transportable, by ship and hovercraft at least, if not by lvl 2 air.

consturction units used to be able to build dragon's teeth, I think we changed it because it was too easy to wall off chokepoints, and for some reason, even though their health is set really low, they take forever to kill with low area of effect weapons, so they were far too effective at holding off lvl 1 units..
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

Ok I understand what your saying about the shore defence Idea, but you have to imagine that On a map with a larger percent of water, and islands (2 continents specifically) it becomes exceedingly irritating to try and build sonar anywhere, Given that sonar is the ONLY stuff that can find submarines it is somewhat limiting if it can only be built near a shore line. I can understand the shore defences, that is reasonable but it is annoying to have your offshore seaplane base and air pad setup be destroyed by a submarine you cant see, because you have no sonar coverage and a ship is not nearby. Especially if you have torpedo bombers onhand to deal with such an occurance (they dont have sonar themselves btw). Given that there is a sonar plane I dont really see sonar as likely to outrule subs, only a few units can damage them anywho.

As far as dragons teeth, they are features so take default damage from everything, I dont really think walling stuff off would become such an issue as walls can be reclaimed.. an increase in buildtime or so forth could helpful, it is just irritating to try and build a wall only to realize that you need to continue it out of nano range, but cannot do so unless you build a second turret..
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

I'm inclined to agree with both points. You're right, you shouldn't have to keep a destroyer always guarding your seaplane base just so it won't be destroyed by a single sub, especially when you have torpedo bombers right there. And dragon's teeth are exactly the kind of makeshift, low-tech defense you would expect to be able to build in the field. I'll probably just mess with the buildtimes and such to keep them from being overused.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

Also you should make the carriers buildable again, just configure them for 2 pads atm. I know its not as many as you want, but having naval airpads that can be positioned somewhere would be very helpful even if they can only get 2 at a time..
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

I don't know... the carriers look so ridiculous next to the other ships. They're literally half the size of a destroyer, and like a tenth the size of a battleship. I'd rather wait until we can put in real carriers.. and at least the core have the amphibious assault ship now, which has two pads, so that's better than nothing.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Scale them in 3dobuilder then import them back into Upswing. Should keep the unit models intact as far as textures go.
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

Well the models themselves aren't really good enough, they don't have the detail needed for a larger unit. We'll just have to make new ones.
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

What if constuction subs could build torpedo launchers that had their own short range sonar for an increased price. Sortof like how you can build light laser towers anywhere you want for in increased price. Then you could protect your important underwater structures without having to buy a destroyer to just sit there the whole game.

I don't really like the idea of building sonar anywhere you want. It'd just make it so subs wouldn't be able to be sneaky anymore. As it is now there's a lot of skill involved in attacking someone's underwater economy while avoiding their destroyers. It's a lot like how real subs were used to attack trade routes by the germans.
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

smartie wrote:What if constuction subs could build torpedo launchers that had their own short range sonar for an increased price. Sortof like how you can build light laser towers anywhere you want for in increased price. Then you could protect your important underwater structures without having to buy a destroyer to just sit there the whole game.
I think that's a probably a better solution. The only problem is it makes it kind of arbitrary what subs can and can't build. As it is now, it makes sense that floating defenses could only be built by a base near a shoreline. And it would also be believable to be able to build sonar anywhere, because it is presumably fairly simple, just some equipment and sensors attached to a floating buoy, while floating defenses are more complex. However there's not any way to justify being able to build torpedo launchers but NOT build sonar. It might still be the best solution, but it bugs me that it's not consistent. Maybe we could get rid of sonar stations altogether. They don't serve much purpose anyway, and with them gone it won't seem so arbitrary where water defenses can and can't be built.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

You could just use an underwater sonar unit that is disposeable, like UH had the shark eyes. Only the shark eyes in this case could be cheap and short range sonar. More expensive sonar units could team up with depth chargers or torpedoers to take time clearing a line of shark eyes. The simplicity to this approach avoids the pitfall of a bunch of long range sonars all over the map.

Return to “NOTA”