NOTA 1.82 - Page 31

NOTA 1.82

Moderators: smartie, Thor, PepeAmpere, Moderators, Content Developer

goduranus

Re: NOTA 1.47

Post by goduranus »

some nano-tower buildings not considered as permanently taking up space when placing new buildings. this causes AI to sometimes try to build under these buildings and get stuck.

the assault transport doesn't have a crane like the old naval transport, units sometimes get stuck or simply disappear trying to exit it. OTA styled naval transports weren't bad, why were they removed?

also, could there be a depth-charge firing space bug? I never done this but i think you can win space bug games by reclaiming the queen bug with construction subs. :mrgreen:
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

the assault transport still has a crane it just not modelled...

all surface transports use the crane/arm type loading, if any glitches occur its probably due to the fact that that system isn't exactly picture perfect
123vtemp

Post by 123vtemp »

I do not know why NOTA has nano AI on. All it does is mess up t2 tower build orders.
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

nano ai is not included with nota.
goduranus

Post by goduranus »

Is the hover artillery a bit strong? It's pretty accurate for an artillery unit, and metal for metal, a force of pure arty hovers seem to beat ships. That's the most frequently used hover in my games, overshadowing the hover tanks.
123vtemp

Post by 123vtemp »

"[8:40:37 PM] <[EE]Decimator> nota forum appears to be borked :/"

As a result The link has been removed from the channel topic.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Give core a superlaser too, really, it's not fair, especially for 1v1's
123vtemp

Post by 123vtemp »

Then that would be a reason to play arm. I find the pinoco more useful. A pinoco can remove late game econs by the screen size.
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

The only time i've used an orbital laser in a 1v1 was in speed metal

nuclear cannons are way more pratical. It's sortof like how in ba people sometimes try to go straight for the buzzsaw once they reach lvl2
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Nuclear cannons are more practical when you can place them close enough to the enemy. The pinnochio and orbital laser have the advantage of having enough range to be placed right in your base.
[XIII]Roxas

Post by [XIII]Roxas »

Most games do NOT reach superlaser status. I would place more priority on the AI situation than adding a Superlaser.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

Should not include the Anti-ship guns as T1, RAI keeps building them. IMO, in small maps the Perforator and Omega anti-ship guns are good substitutes for those nuclear cannons, provided you build 5 or more of them. I played NOTA on Brazillian Battlefield and, well, I built 5 perforators and their base is destroyed within 5 minutes of constant shelling.

And also, the Storm is not balanced at all! I broke the ARM nutshell easily after spamming them with Storms. Storm is abit too powerful and cheap.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The Hammer is more of an issue, in my opinion.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

***Incoming brainstorm***

So, I was just watching the NOTA Trailer for the 9000th time, and I realized... That big pack of kbots who got buttraped by the Napalm bombers, could have avoided that disaster.

How so you may ask?

Well in the real military, there are a few tactical rules that soldiers follow to keep alive when artillery comes down on them or when they get attacked from the air without air support of their own.

First: It is general practice to keep spread out, IRL 15 meters apart minimum. In NOTA, far enough for a bomb or artillery shell to kill only one if hit.

Second: When attacked by artillery in particular, after ducking for cover, the platoon or squad leader will shout a direction and a distance, and everyone will get up and run in that direction until they reach where they think relative safety may be.

How do I suggest this be implimented in NOTA? Well, I know for a fact that what I am about to suggest will be time consuming or very difficult to say the least, but it may add a new tactical element to Kbot forces, who are often chewed up and swallowed by artillery or air power.

Feature Request 1 - A button for Kbots, that sets a minimum spacing for while they march. This will keep them spread out to minimize casualties during an air attack, and may give the player time to mobilize his own fighter cover before the entire squad is destroyed. Because at the moment, there is very little time for a player to respond to an air attack.

Feature Request 2 - The ability to "force march" units to a destination. Maybe by allowing the player to double click on a destination giving the Kbots a limited speed boost until they reach their emergency destination. (To simulate the run and cover technique to surviving an artillery barrage.)

I know its been a while since I've played Spring or NOTA, but its more at the fault of my laptop's lack of processing muscle than anything else (I'm on a training trip and I couldn't bring the desktop PC :P) So if this has already been thought of, or implemented, then disregard :X
Totbuae

Post by Totbuae »

As for keeping units spaced while they move, there's a way to do that already but it requires a bit of micro (ugh, micro :P).

What you do is use custom formations and draw a big enough formation to keep your units well spaced out and then issue all subsequent move orders while holding down the CTRL key. The units will try to move together at the speed of the slowest unit and attempt to stay in formation (terrain not withstanding).

Regarding the "forced march" feature, CA already has something similar. The Zipper has a "sprint" function activated by a button which temporarily increases its movement speed.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Totbuae wrote:As for keeping units spaced while they move, there's a way to do that already but it requires a bit of micro (ugh, micro :P).

What you do is use custom formations and draw a big enough formation to keep your units well spaced out and then issue all subsequent move orders while holding down the CTRL key. The units will try to move together at the speed of the slowest unit and attempt to stay in formation (terrain not withstanding).

Regarding the "forced march" feature, CA already has something similar. The Zipper has a "sprint" function activated by a button which temporarily increases its movement speed.
Then shit, no reason not to attempt it in NOTA, but I'll wait for Thor or Smartie's wise words.
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

A scatter button would be really easy to do. Keeping kbots from clumping while they are marching would be more difficult. What I do right now is give a series of move orders to the destination while holding down ctrl. They pretty much don't bunch up at all when you do that.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

smartie wrote:A scatter button would be really easy to do. Keeping kbots from clumping while they are marching would be more difficult. What I do right now is give a series of move orders to the destination while holding down ctrl. They pretty much don't bunch up at all when you do that.
Even a scatter button would be a great improvement. What about Forced March? Giving them a temporary speed boost?
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

The biggest concern with something like a speed boost would be how it would affect the balance. My guess is you would mostly see it used to swarm defenses and stuff. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. As it is right now the bulk most armies is thuds/hammers so giving peewees and ak's the ability to quickly close the range distance might work out well. Peewee spam isn't something we really want to encourage though which is what might end up happening if you give them an ability like that.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

How about, the speed boost have VERY limited range, and would really only be useful in escaping an artillery attack or closing the distance against Stationary Defenses.

Plus, keep in mind, if hammers are being "rushed" by peewees, they too can fall back using the same speed boost. Thus, the balance should not be too badly thrown off.

Return to “NOTA”